Mixing Different Diets??

(7 Posts)
Oopsadaisydoddle Sun 07-Feb-16 21:43:52

Good evening,

I haven't posted for ages so hope you don't mind me popping in.

I have, over the years, tried every different diet going but found them all restrictive in some way, yet all having their plus points. I have successfully lost weight initially but then I get bored and frustrated and constantly thinking if only I was doing (insert any other diet), I would be able to have xyz. SW, I like the fact there is free food, WW haven't done for a while but know it can be done. I also tried one of those 'eat what you want, when hungry, stop when no longer hungry' ideas too, which was somewhat liberating and had good, steady weight loss, but there were times where I did want to eat until I was a little bit stuffed (but not uncomfortable).

So, I am thinking of maybe doing a week or 2 of each of the diets so that I can get the benefits of them all and hopefully stop the boredom and frustration setting in. For example, SW the first full week, WW the second, low carb another week etc etc.

I know it might seem overly complicated but as I know most of the diets off by heart, is no different from doing one or the other.

Has anyone ever tried this approach and if so, did it work? Or does anyone fancy joining me to see if this approach could work?

Thanks in advance.x

ChammyIRL Mon 08-Feb-16 11:33:19

I'm currently running Lean In 15 and WW at the same time - LI15 meals and workouts but using WW as a guide for which meals to have to stay within their points system. It seems to be working fine, I'm loving the food, enjoying the exercise and feel full all the time.

MrAliBongo Mon 08-Feb-16 16:09:04

I vaguely remember a tv programme, maybe last year, where somebody tried changing diet every three days or so, and lost weight. The idea is that, one way or another, all these diets work by limiting how much energy you consume. It wasn't very scientific, but if you think it'll help you stick with it for longer, surely it's worth a try. I do think there are a couple of things to be aware of.

Some of these diets probably rely on sensory-specific satiety for maximum effect. In an extreme example, if all you're allowed to eat is grapefruit and eggs, you're going to limit your calorie intake, because after a couple of days of that, how many more eggs are you going to want (ever!) But if you've just had a day of nothing but cabbage soup, eggs and grapefruit might feel quite novel and delicious... You're going to eat more of them than after two days of the same diet. So be conscious of how much you eat when you swap to a new diet, and maybe don't do it too often. I think I'd go for weekly blocks to fit in with shopping and weigh-in.

Also be very clear, when you swap to a new diet, which one you're doing, and what the rules are. I once tried low-carbing right after I'd been on Slimming World... I ended up mixing up the rules of the two, including SW "free" foods that weren't free on the low carb diet. It was totally unintentional, but the mix-and-match approach imeant I wasn't actually following any diet at all so, unsurprisingly in hindsight, I didn't lose any weight!

ooosaidooo Mon 08-Feb-16 17:04:08

I do 3 or 4 but all at the same time IYSWIM, based on the fact that WW lets you eat what you want (you just count the points) I used that to control my portion size, there is also a lot of free food that I don't even need to count so it makes it faster.

I like South Beach, but only the phase 2, so choose my food based on those principles and also the GI diet. I also follow a plan given to me by a nutritionalist which is basically GI, high protein and all about keeping energy levels high and blood sugar levels steady.

It works, I've lost just over 3 stone since last Spring and I haven't gone hungry or had to obsess about food. I also walk a lot. i might also incorporate this into the mix...

Oopsadaisydoddle Mon 08-Feb-16 21:48:59

Thanks for the replies, very helpful!

I have just joined ww so going to give that a good go for a week or 2. Then maybe try in a couple of weeks with something different. I have PCOS, so have tried to follow low GI in the past, but as with anything I try, as soon as I start, it becomes all I can think about, often leading to bingeing! 😁

ChloeSamo1 Tue 09-Feb-16 10:25:07

Try out this 3 week program: www.weightlossin3weeks.weebly.com
it has workout, diet and mindset manuals that will help you lose up to 23 pounds in just 3 weeks. From what I've seen it helped lots of people get slimmer and gain confidence.

mindtheshapes Sun 21-Feb-16 13:45:08

As long as you're in a caloric deficit one way or another most things will work. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now