NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) - 2000 cals a day difference!?

(8 Posts)
loooopo Sun 17-Jan-16 11:27:18

www.mayoclinic.org/documents/mc5810-0307-pdf/doc-20079082

Just read this and I am blown away really. Tho it would explain my skinny mates who each more than me and never go to the gym.....they stay slim but being busy-bees around the house after work (expends 600 cals) whilst I plop on the sofa (50 cals).

Quite refreshing as looks like you can change your energy output DRAMATICALLY even just by what you choose to do in the evening - and thas a lot of food/calories that you would not need to be restricting....

Anyone know anymore about this...?

scaevola Sun 17-Jan-16 11:56:52

The Mayo Clinic research in this is from a couple of decades ago. This is how The Guardian reported it at the time

I'm not aware if anyone else has really researched this. It certainly never caught on as a weight loss tactic, and isn't relevant to exercise for health.

Saymwa Sat 06-Feb-16 10:04:12

Loooopo
That's really interesting.
Thanks smile

Trills Sat 06-Feb-16 10:22:58

Isn't it amazing that newspaper articles from 17 years ago are available online? smile

JapanNextYear Sat 06-Feb-16 10:28:22

I know so many skinny people who don't work out at all but are massive fidgets. I come home and flop, they will be on the go till 9 or 10 at night!

loooopo Sat 06-Feb-16 10:29:18

Well I had a health check with my GP last week and they did a v thorough activity assessment which included Qs on time spent housework, standing, walking, gardening etc - so looks like NHS have integrated this thinking into their reviews.

CadiM Sat 06-Feb-16 12:25:21

Michael Mosley covered this in The Truth About Exercise (about 30mins in) and James Levine appears to be a passionate advocate for NEAT: he has lots of academic articles on-line.

loooopo Sat 06-Feb-16 18:20:37

Thx cadi for that link. Yes I first saw the term on Mosleys FAST website - so did some more research which led to finding the Mayo Clinic research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now