Spiralizers?

(15 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 07-Jan-16 16:35:08

I'm thinking of getting one? Are they good or will I just not use it after a week? Was thinking of using it more for carrots/courgettes in salad. Sometimes to make spaghetti out of courgettes?

I haven't got much kitchen space and was thinking about one of the small hand held ones which you use like a pencil sharpener rather than a bigger one. Are these ok?

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Thu 07-Jan-16 16:39:58

If it's just for salady stuff and you are short on space, wouldn't one of those julienne cutters do a similar job? They are ace on courgette and carrot.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Thu 07-Jan-16 16:40:46

these

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 07-Jan-16 17:28:01

But I want pretty long spirals. grin

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 07-Jan-16 17:28:27

And I will used It for spaghetti sometimes.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Thu 07-Jan-16 20:06:41

Oh. Sorry. Don't know then.

MrsHooolie Thu 07-Jan-16 23:49:42

I had the pencil sharpener one,it was ok but a Bugger to clean. My DP bought me a Lakeland spiralizer for my birthday and it's bloody brilliant. I bought a spiralizer cookbook so loads of ideas in there instead of just courgetti (which are brilliant by the way)

kirinm Thu 07-Jan-16 23:51:59

I've got the pencil sharpener one and it's absolutely fine although as a PP said, a bit of a pain to clean but it was cheap as chips on Amazon / eBay.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 08-Jan-16 06:27:47

Ah, being a bugger to clean would probably put me off using it. Maybe I should get the proper Lakeland one then.

But what else can you do with it mrshoolie? I looked at the Lakeland one and decided against it as thought jus made your veg into "noodles"?

FeelingSmurfy Fri 08-Jan-16 22:56:07

Supermarkets sell the courgettie type stuff now, I would buy the ready made stuff for a few weeks and see whether it's something you would stick with before you invest in a machine. I know that tesco and m&s definitely do a range of them

BettyOctopus Fri 08-Jan-16 22:58:05

Spiralizers are only a tenner in the range- we use it at least 3 times a week, it's brilliant for homemade coleslaw too

JasperDamerel Fri 08-Jan-16 23:03:43

I use mine lots. I don't have a food processor, and it's the cheapest way of getting big vegetables into small pieces. I had beetroot, carrot and cucumber spiral salad this evening. The children did the spiralizi game because it was fun.

I have the Lurch Spiralo.

JasperDamerel Fri 08-Jan-16 23:04:27

When I wrote cheapest, I actually meant easiest.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 08-Jan-16 23:33:58

Haven just ordered a £13 handheld one from Amazon.

It's difficult to know how accurate the reviews are as 90% of reviews for all models say "free gadget in exchange for honest review". So I'm never sure how honest they are.

But for £13 I guess it's not the end of the world if it's shit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now