Feeling a bit disheartened

(10 Posts)
mavornia Mon 17-Aug-15 09:20:39

I started my lifestyle overhaul one week ago. I would like to lose 2-3 stone and got so fed up thinking and fretting about my weight ( and the clothes I'd like to be able to wear) that I finally thought if I put half as much effort into doing it as I do thinking about it, I would already be in a far better place.

I already walk my dogs an hour every day but I've made the walks more challenging (through forest, uphill), I've played badminton three times and added an extra evening walk.

For breakfast every day ive had small bowl of porridge with flaxseed and blueberries, no sugar or sweeteners. Lunch is a wholemeal pitta pocket with egg, goats cheese or chicken and salad. Dinner is salad or steamed veg with chicken or fish or tuna nicoise with a couple of baby new potates.

Weighed myself this morning and ive lost 1.87 lbs.

I know I can't expect much more than that in a week but im just feeling a bit flat. Im not on a diet as such, I should be eating like this all the time (especially as I have type 1 diabetes). Just thought I might have lost more and feel like I have such a long way to go.

TheHobbit Mon 17-Aug-15 09:23:06

How do your clothes feel? Maybe you are toning up as muscle weighs more that fat. You might be losing inches though

mavornia Mon 17-Aug-15 09:29:47

I have been this weight before (95kg) after the birth of my children but im definitely more toned and fitter after walking the dogs every single day for two years now since we got them. Im tall and can get away with a fair amount of extra weight and my legs and bum are much more toned than in the past. Oddly all the weight seems to hav
Have crept on around my tummy
I have a real muffin that was never there before - it Always used to sit more on my hips and thighs.

mavornia Mon 17-Aug-15 09:33:50

Sorry for typos, on my phone and hard to type.
Im in size 16 trousers and size 14 tops. Over the past three to four months ive probably put on 5kg (or maybe over a longer period, when it creeps on and you're tall it can take longer to notice). I can still wear my clothes but they weren't things I wanted to be wearing in the first place.
I know there's no easy solution and it's all my own fault. Just feels like such a long road ahead.

TalkinPeace Mon 17-Aug-15 21:13:33

How many years did it take to put the weight on?
Allow at least a year to take it back off if you want to do it for once and for all.

happygirl87 Mon 17-Aug-15 21:15:46

Isn't that about 4lbs in a week? That's brilliant going! star

PickleSarnie Mon 17-Aug-15 22:32:01

How reliable are your scales? I once lost 8lbs in 30 seconds with mine. That's how much they fluctuate. Try the ones at Boots once a week instead.

fascicle Tue 18-Aug-15 12:31:24

The only problem I can see is your ambitious expectations in terms of a weekly weightloss. (If 1.87 lbs is disappointing, what were you hoping for?)

It sounds like you have had a really positive week, with the only downside being your interpretation of the number on your scales. I would focus less on weekly arbitrary figures and more on feeling good about the changes you are making. I think it's easier to reach long-term goals if there's flexibility in terms of short-term targets and expectations. If you keep on doing what you're doing, it might take a little while but you will achieve the result you want - don't be put off or undermined by your scales.

GarminGirl Tue 18-Aug-15 12:50:23

Water....are you drinking enough?

mavornia Wed 19-Aug-15 14:59:48

Thanks for all your comments. I think the problem is with my expectations - it seemed such a lot of effort for a small loss but of course I put the weight on over the course of yeats and it makes sense that it will take time to come off.
I feel happier mentally this week and keep reminding myself that this is something I'm doing for myself rather than to myself.
I've had an awful headache for three and the post above just reminded me that ive hardly had any water at all, even with all the increased activity so thanks for flaggibg that up.
I normally have terrible sugar cravings the week before my period but all the low GI food has helped me manage far better this month and I didn't even have sugar cravings do very pleased about that.
Trying to keep in mind it's a whole lifestyle, not a diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now