dh hides chocolate from me

(13 Posts)
chumbler Sun 02-Aug-15 18:31:01

would you be annoyed? it's a bar of chocolate we were given. he says I'm obsessed with food. I say he's controlling. he says he's only trying to help me??

Madlizzy Sun 02-Aug-15 18:32:40

I'd be annoyed. As an adult, if I want a bar of chocolate, then I'll fucking have one! Tell him to stop treating you like a child.

ImperialBlether Sun 02-Aug-15 18:32:40

If you've posted this in weight loss chat because you want to lose weight, can't you accept he's trying to help you?

chumbler Sun 02-Aug-15 19:35:31

haha you have a point there, imperial!

GraysAnalogy Sun 02-Aug-15 19:39:33

Are you obsessed with food though?

I mean you should be able to make your own choices, but do you complain to him about your weight? Are you dieting?

I think it's his misguided way of helping

fruitpastille Sun 02-Aug-15 19:41:14

I hide chocolate from my dh, otherwise he eats it all and I don't get any. I would say it's irritating, not controlling.

GraysAnalogy Sun 02-Aug-15 19:46:11

There was recently a thread on Reddit where the husband hid his snickers in the freezer, inside a bag of veg grin

PurpleDaisies Sun 02-Aug-15 19:53:18

I ask my husband to hide crisps from me because I struggle with knowing they are in the house and not eating them. If you don't want him to do it, just tell him not to. If you talk a lot about wanting to lose weight and struggling with temptation I could understand how he thought he was being helpful, even if he hasn't ended up making you happy. It depends a lot on him motivation and how he reacts to being told you aren't happy as to whether to be seriously annoyed at him or not.

ImperialBlether Sun 02-Aug-15 19:53:40

Madlizzy, you say: As an adult, if I want a bar of chocolate, then I'll fucking have one!

The thing is what you mean by 'want' isn't it? She's trying to lose weight, presumably she will later want not to have eaten it.

Also, would you say if an alcoholic wanted a drink, he/she should have one? Or a heroin addict? Or if a person wanted to hit another, they should be able to?

Sometimes what we want is bad for us. Often it isn't even actually what we want!

Noeuf Sun 02-Aug-15 20:14:47

Depends. Would you eat the chocolate and then moan on afterwards that you shouldn't have? Because I can see his point in that case.

TheWintersmith Sun 02-Aug-15 20:24:11

Arf at hiding choccy in bags of veg. I hide mine in the salad! Otherwise DH will scoff the lot and I won't get a look in.

He is very generous, would give me his last penny but he is a greedy fucker and has zero self control around chocolate and cake. I alway offer to share when I do have some but if I leave it unattended it must be hidden, I got well fucked off with getting home to find the chocolate I was looking forward to had gone. So yes I hide.

GraysAnalogy Sun 02-Aug-15 20:28:30

grin

Madlizzy Sun 02-Aug-15 20:59:11

I think there's a bit of a difference between chocolate and heroin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now