Evaluate my breakfasts please? And offer suggestions for easy/filling alternatives.

(15 Posts)
DownWithThisTypeOfThing Tue 09-Jun-15 09:32:46

I was having overnight oats daily (plain yoghurt, berries, 35g oats) with a cup of tea with semi skimmed milk. Quite satisfying.

I wanted to pull back some calories last week so swapped to banana & cup of tea. I was pretty hungry by lunch time.

This week I've been having a smoothie made with banana, heaped desert spoon of peanut putter and small glass of skimmed milk. Quite satisfying.

Which do you think is best for weight loss? And as I'm trying to avoid cereal/bread at breakfast time, what cheap and easy alternatives can you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

gotredonyou Tue 09-Jun-15 10:33:05

Oats are slow release carbs & yoghurt is high in protein (greek is best) so this should keep you fuller for longer.

Another alternative would be eggs- scrambled with feta & spinach? or in an omelette with mozzarella & tomato? These are high in protein so should keep you full (and they are cheap.)

headdeskmoment Tue 09-Jun-15 10:34:40

This morning I had a banana smeared with peanut butter that has flax and sunflower seeds in it, then an egg.

gotredonyou Tue 09-Jun-15 10:38:24

If you like sweet breakfasts you could make banana pancakes- 1 banana, 2 eggs whisked up and fried in coconut oil/butter then spread with peanut butter.

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Tue 09-Jun-15 11:49:10

Thanks all.

I've avoided Greek yoghurt as its higher in calories but to be honest I have no idea about nutritional aspects or what helps most with weight loss so that's an interesting point gotred

head sounds good!

HelenF350 Tue 09-Jun-15 11:50:48

Eggs with spinach and/or mushrooms is great for breakfast. You can add a couple of rashers of turkey bacon too if you are really hungry.

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 09-Jun-15 11:53:56

the best weight loss breakfast is bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, hash browns, toast and a large cup of full fat milky coffee.
IME.

lastqueenofscotland Tue 09-Jun-15 12:52:20

Veggie sausages and bakes beans is lo cal and vv satisfying

ppeatfruit Tue 09-Jun-15 13:07:16

IME it's quite possible to lose plenty of weight if you don't count cals. at all; I lost 3 stone (my target) without cal counting. I was on the Paul Mackenna 'I Can Make You Thin' way of eating.

You don't eat low fat stuff, (or any diet foods at all) you change HOW and WHEN you eat and re educate your body which is good because you can maintain the weight loss easily.

Vivacia Tue 09-Jun-15 13:47:54

Looking at what you like for breakfasts, I would replace the peanut butter with oats. Filling, protein and lower in calories.

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Tue 09-Jun-15 13:52:57

Thanks all - lots of good points.

I didn't know oats contained protein blush so thanks for that one.

I don't think I'm organised to subscribe to a plan as such so keeping an eye on volumes seems about easiest. There's a few ideas I might look into if/when I hit a plateau (would need to educate myself first) so thanks again.

Momagain1 Tue 09-Jun-15 14:02:35

Any of them sound fine as a nutritious breakfast: depending on your activity and menu for the day.

ppeatfruit Tue 09-Jun-15 16:36:17

Downwith Fruit and salads contain protein (think gorillas!) they are vegans who eat only veg and fruit with a couple of insects occasionally grin

avagosling Wed 10-Jun-15 11:18:36

Load up on quality protein and good fats in the morning, and I would not be too worried about calories, count the nutrients instead! Love gotredonyou suggestions, I would add to cook eggs in either coconut oil or ghee

AFRii Wed 10-Jun-15 14:58:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now