Is it possible to fail if I eat less calories than I use?

(9 Posts)
RabbitSaysWoof Sun 17-May-15 21:09:19

I have been on so many diets since I had ds. Everything works for 2 weeks then stops working.
Ive been on 5:2, atkins, calorie cycling, low calorie (800 a day with every 4th or 5th day to eat normal) and now no more than 1000 per day.
Last week I started 1000 a day I lost 5lb mon - fri, then this weekend not a thing. The positive is that between diets I dont actually gain weight, (I've only ever gained in pregnancy) so the weight has slowly crept down rather than up and down, but I'm just sick of it now its been 3 years I don't feel like myself and I'm losing patience with the whole bloody thing. I am good at sticking with things but when I've done something for a couple of months (or 6 weeks in the case of atkins) and the last loss was day 14 am I supposed to keep going?
If I stick with 1000 a day can I go wrong? I have 1 stone left to go.

TandemFlux Sun 17-May-15 21:11:25

Do you walk or excersise?

The maths do add up but maybe you could eat more and walk 5 miles a day

Singleandproud Sun 17-May-15 21:17:27

You will fail as 1000 calories is not enough for your body to function on and after 5/6 days it goes into starvation mode holding on to as much as it can.

You need to work out your daily calorie usage (bMR I think) and then after factoring calories used for exercise etc you shoul only have 500 calorie deficit between how much you ate and how much you use. Anything much more than that will lead your body into holding on to for as long as possible.

When you plateau which everyone does you just change your eating habits a little so eat a little more on day 2/3 and then less on day 4/5 sort of resets your metabolism.

TheMoa Sun 17-May-15 21:18:27

How much do you weigh, and how much are you trying to lose?

Your body will tend to stabilise at a happy medium. If you want to drop below that, you might need to eat rather less than most people.

On 1200 calories a day for instance, my weight creeps up steadily, but I love food, so I don't much care (up to a point).

RabbitSaysWoof Sun 17-May-15 21:20:14

We go out every day as I have a dog, but its slow, ds walks now so we end up waiting for him to pick up pace. I'm really glad he'd rather scoot or use he's balance bike it took some time to pack the buggy away so I dont think I should get it out again when it suits me IYSWIM.
If I dont mind eating small amounts tho would I still get there in the long run? I can handle slow loss, just not writing down everything I eat every day forever to stay the same.

TheMoa Sun 17-May-15 21:20:49

Starvation mode doesn't kick in after 5/6 days - it's a long term thing.

You'd need to be less than about 700 calories a day for months for it to truly have an effect, I think.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 17-May-15 21:23:55

I think 1000 is too low abd not sustainable. Anecdotal evidence from a dieting forum I used to post on suggests that people who eat too little find their weight loss stalls. Better to lose a bit more slowly but be healthy!

RabbitSaysWoof Sun 17-May-15 21:25:12

Before ds I was 8st 7 Im now 9st 9. single that was my thinking behind the 800 cals then 4th or 5th eat normal to kick my motabolism back up the arse.

CarbeDiem Sun 17-May-15 21:33:35

Starvation mode is a myth or rather what we believe it to be is.
Google around and find some info about how and why eating more cals combined with exercise is a better approach than sticking to 1000 cals and making yourself miserable in the process.
A good place to start would be to find out what your personal BMR (basal metabolic rate) is
So mine at Female, 36, 5ft 10 and 176lbs is around 1500 - that's just to exist without exercise.
If you've done 5:2 then you'll know about TDEE which will give you a truer recommended calorie intake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now