Anyone doing the harcombe diet?

(7 Posts)
tortoisesarefab Wed 06-May-15 09:19:45

Hi all, after someone posted a link to this the other day I am going to try it out. I am certain that I have food intolerances and I do suffer with reflux so the fact that this diet starts by cutting out a lot of 'allergen' type foods appeals to me. I am hoping it will help me identify what foods I can't tolerate and lose weight too obviously! I have about 2.5 stone to lose and just wondered if anyone else is doing this diet, just for hints/ tips and support really

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 06-May-15 09:32:53

On a slight tangent - you already think you have food allergies or intolerances, as well as looking into Harcombe, spend a bit of time reading Marksdailyapple and Robbwolf.com (paleo solution), maybe Wheatbellyblog too. All free info, although books are available if you want to buy.

Like Zoe Harcombe, these guys are promoting natural, unprocessed food, but you'll find a lot more info on how to identify foods you are reacting to, and the reasons why.

tortoisesarefab Wed 06-May-15 18:18:08

Thanks for the tip, will get reading. I am on medication for reflux but I would love to control it with diet alone

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 07-May-15 07:45:00

My reflux (amongst many other symptoms!) reduced a lot when went gluten (and mostly grain) free, I guess it was part of my whole ibs range of symptoms. However, I was then able to see that nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, chillies, potato, aubergine) would trigger reflux, and I think that's quite a common trigger. I don't have to avoid them completely, but I do need to watch how much I eat, and peel potatoes as the skin is the worst trigger.

Haven't had even a Rennie in months let alone anything stronger! Used to be on daily meds.

Everyone's different tho, hope you find your triggers smile

tortoisesarefab Thu 07-May-15 20:39:14

That's great to hear. I think dairy and gluten are definitely triggers and sadly chocolate is the worst one! I think I have been in denial about gluten because I love bread but having gone without it for just 3 days I feel a lot better

ppeatfruit Fri 08-May-15 13:16:31

Another thing to look is the SPEED at which you eat, look at Paul Mckenna for help with conscious eating. Not rushing about straight after a meal ( I go on here for half an hour after eating grin) or bending down.

Also not eating fruit immediately AFTER a meal. I eat mine when I'm really hungry. Zoe harcombe is a bit hmm about fruit which I find odd esp. if you eat correctly!

tortoisesarefab Fri 08-May-15 22:05:50

I try my best with not running around or bending down after food but with a 2 and 3 year old it's not always possible! Phase one of the harcombe diet bans fruit but you can eat it in phase 2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now