Can you look at what I ate today?

(57 Posts)
mytwoblackandwhitecats Sat 28-Jun-14 21:40:22

I'm trying really hard to eat "normally" smile I am a bit overweight but not hugely significantly (would like to lose a stone.)

Breakfast - cup of tea with semi skimmed milk

Lunch - one banana (was out and got stuck in traffic, I would normally have something a bit more substantial.)

Evening meal - one rainbow trout fillet. Half a yellow pepper, half an orange pepper. Salad (just leaves!) the peppers and trout were cooked with a small amount of butter - just a scraping. I also had a tiny blob of reduced fat mayonnaise with salad.

One tub blush of strawberries with one tablespoon of clotted cream.

Harley's orange jelly - one of those individual pots.

I've just had water and a can of diet coke to drink.

Am I on the right lines ... My fitness pal says I am on 850 calories but I think it's underestimated the strawberries.

McBear Mon 07-Jul-14 17:11:53

Food*

McBear Mon 07-Jul-14 17:11:36

Bananas are a fantastic good! There's an internet article circling at the minute saying how good they are!

Deux Mon 07-Jul-14 14:19:50

There are few post on here suggesting such low calorie consumption will lead to the body retaining calories?

Isn't that one if those Diet Myths that's been busted. It's utter nonsense and applies to the extreme long term only.

OP, I don't see a problem with what you ate. I just don't understand this you must eat 3 meals and 2 snacks thing. SW might work but you have to eat like that forever!

If it works for you OP, do it. You'll soon be able to tell.

MillyDots Mon 07-Jul-14 13:56:07

There are some good positive posts for you on the last page of your thread. Your on the right track just make sure you eat when you are hungry and stop as soon as you are satisfied. Nothing wrong with fruit at all. The only thing I would stay away from is processed food and diet food. Not good for your body.

ThePowerOfMe Mon 07-Jul-14 09:24:36

Op ignore the negative comments.
Don't eat breakfast if you don't want. There's no law that says you have to. I don't eat breakfast anymore. I find it kick starts my appetite and I think of food all day. I'm better off without it.
There's nothing wrong with what you ate. The only problem is if you eat that little every day. It's hard to sustain and too little but for most people, it evens out.
You can eat what you're eating 4/5 days a week and then eat a bit more over the weekend and you'll be fine.
Eat in a way that suits you, and as long as it's not disordered eating, ignore what people say.

And have a look at the fasting diet section. It may suit you or it may not. Good luck.

fatlazymummy Sun 06-Jul-14 11:37:19

It looks OK to me too, though a little low in calories. You're not supposed to go under 1200 calories a day (averaged out)
The only other problem I see is your lunch. If you're generally busy at this time of day then it might be better to pack a lunch and take it with you.
And don't worry if you don't fancy breakfast. Some people do better on 2 meals a day,for you this could be lunch and dinner. And it's fine to go 6 hours between meals.
There are lots of different theories concerning weight management around at the moment but they are just theories. You will know what works for you if you a) lose weight and b) feel and look well and energetic while you're doing it.

elastamum Wed 02-Jul-14 14:08:43

OP, I think posters are giving you a rather hard time. There is no problem not eating breakfast if you are not hungry and eating 850 calories in a day is more than a fast day on 5:2.

Would suggest you work out what works for you and what you can stick to and feel comfortable. for me it has been cereal, protein and salads and cutting out snacks and sugary carbs. No one needs 3 meals a day and snacks between, it is just how our culture developed. When I was a kid, (am old) we never routinely got offered snacks between meals.

And guess what? nothing happens if you go more than 3 hours without eating. It is worth doing because we eat so much in our culture, that we have forgotten what hunger feels like.

BubaMarra Wed 02-Jul-14 13:59:57

Oh and sorry about your dad thanks.
I also think that your diet is not horrible, especially if you tend to have a proper lunch as you said you usually do. Just make it protein rich and full of vegetables.
Well done for resisting junk food and chosing banana instead. Banana might not be ideal food, but it is better than mars bar for sure.

BubaMarra Wed 02-Jul-14 13:55:20

I understand the breakfast thing, I don't eat it, I can't bring myself to eat it and eventually stopped beating myself about it.
But you need more protein in your diet. Maybe for lunch have something similar to your dinner. And don't worry about strawberries, they are one of the least calorific fruits - only about 30kcal per 100g comapred to apple around 50kcal or cherries 80 kcal. So a tub would hardly make 100kcal in total. What is meant by too much sugar is that while fruit is full of good stuff like vitamins and minerals and fiber, they come at a little bit higher 'cost' in terms of calories. In other words, you can have all that good things if you eat vegetable without going overboard in terms of calories and sugar consumption. It's actually quite easy to go over board with fruit, especially those denser and starchier like bananas.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 02-Jul-14 13:39:34

Going to go against the mould and say that it sounds fine to me! I regularly eat similar amounts, don't feel hungry and am a size 8-10.

ouryve Wed 02-Jul-14 13:35:07

Dinner fine, but you need to replicate that at lunchtime, as you will soon start to feel it if you don't have more protein and less sugary fruit in your diet. Maybe organise yourself to make up a tub of salad the night before, when you prepare your evening meal. Don't miss breakfast if you're not used to missing breakfast.

If it was a 250g tub of strawberries, then that's about 3 portions.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Wed 02-Jul-14 13:25:26

Poor you, OP, I do think some comments have been a bit harsh. I have been there with the "all or nothing" approach and do understand. I am struggling myself, so have no magic answers, but two things spring to mind - a bit more protein and veg overall would be good, and also don't look at one day in isolation, look at a whole week and see how things balance out - one 850 calories day, if you are satisfied, isn't going to put you in starvation mode or any such nonsense if it is followed by a couple of 1800 days or whatever. But if you are actually hungry on that 850 day, that's not good, as you might feel deprived and feel the need to binge later in the week.

I get fed up when people bang on about breakfast - no point eating when not hungry. Also get fed up when people demonise fruit - at least you are eating the sugar in the fruit alongside all its fibre and nutrients. I also think it's good to balance fruit with a few nuts as well - protein again!

gelati3 Wed 02-Jul-14 13:15:32

Have a look at Jon Gabriel's site (Gabriel Method). He gives lots of ideas of healthy eating and also looks at the psychology of why some people are overweight.

The reason for the 3 meals and 2 snacks is to prevent you going more than 3 hours between eating.

idontlikealdi Wed 02-Jul-14 12:42:47

Just wanted to say that this:

"You need 3 meals and 2 snacks every single day"

is not right, no one needs 2 snacks a day.

georgedawes Tue 01-Jul-14 19:05:33

I'd do 5:2 too if I were you, sounds like you'll find it easy to do

Cakeismymaster Tue 01-Jul-14 18:57:18

cats I think it looked like a fine amount to eat and certainly didn't look like a load of junk.
Just wanted to say that smile

allisgood1 Sun 29-Jun-14 14:36:20

The fruit is generally not a bad thing. Bananas are high in sugar, strawberries are medium. That doesn't mean don't consume them that just means don't consume vast quantities. Low sugar fruits that you can eat more of include raspberries and blackberries. Also a handful of almonds is a good snack (be careful again not to eat these by the ton).

I would stay away from things like jelly and mousse, even the "sugar free" ones as they are worse.

allisgood1 Sun 29-Jun-14 14:29:30

Meant to add: the wheat that we consume is more likely to make us hungrier. That's why I use almond flour when making muffins, bread, etc as it's already wheat free and high in protein so will fill you up rather than make you hungry!

mytwoblackandwhitecats Sun 29-Jun-14 14:29:25

What sugar? I genuinely don't understand where all this sugar is I'm consuming? In the fruit? Both WW and SW (a previous poster advised both these) have you eat as much fruit as you want.

I don't have sugar in my tea and I don't add it to anything at all. One tiny chocolate mousse, a banana and strawberries?

allisgood1 Sun 29-Jun-14 14:27:26

Even for today, take a look at the amount of sugar you are consuming. Try replacing high sugar foods with little/no sugar foods.

I also can't face breakfast in the morning so I make a huge batch of muffins (using almond flour--loads of recipes on Pinterest or follow "just eat real food" on fb)...these last me a week so I take two and hit the road and eat later (10ish) when I get hungry.

mytwoblackandwhitecats Sun 29-Jun-14 14:25:55

I can't really - hopefully I'll be able to go back to my old job soonish, but at the moment it's pretty full on!

I USED to eat breakfast when I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night <yawn>

It wasn't very inspired though. I usually had two Weetabix with semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea! I had the same problem as the poster above though in that breakfast made me hungry!

AggressiveBunting Sun 29-Jun-14 14:20:32

Re breakfast- could you eat a bit later? I also get up at 5.45 as I go to the gym, then come home and go school run before work so I have breakfast when I get in to work just before 9. i do a desk job so that works ok but I guess if you do a 'real time' job it's not so easy. Then I have lunch at 2 and dinner at 8. Works for me. And don't worry about the strawberries. No-one ever got fat by eating too many strawberries.

mytwoblackandwhitecats Sun 29-Jun-14 13:18:54

Thanks, taking smile I don't think I need to see a nutritionist, I just need to try to eat a bit more regularly and normally. The last 6 weeks have been awful, and I have been veering between starvation (not intentionally, but initially I really couldn't face food) and snacking on chocolate and cake-y things.

By contrast, fresh fish,veg, salad, fruit is good. Yes, I accept there wasn't enough yesterday: I've just had an identical lunch, using the other half of the yellow and orange pepper, another trout fillet and salad, and it was delicious if I say so myself. Now I've got another tub of strawberries (they were/ are all on offer at sainsburys!) but for later I've got a banana, a chicken salad sandwich and a chocolate mousse (I am at work so a packed lunch.)

I suppose I was feeling quite proud of myself! sad

No one said you should stuff your face with chocolate.

I'm really so sorry about your dad thanks. When you are grieving just be kind to yourself and don't worry about your weight (easier said than done I know).

When you are able, you could see a nutritionist and get a really good healthy eating plan written up. It could help you break the binge & starve cycle.

Now I will leave you alone...look after yourself (())

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now