If you are over 50 and have lost weight - how???

(73 Posts)
violetina Sun 11-May-14 15:16:06

My metabolism seems to have gone through the floor!

I used to be able to eat sensibly and lose a few lbs easily - but that doesn't seem to work any more.

I want to lose about 7lb and get my body fat down to about 25% from 30%.

If you're over 50 and have done this, tell me how please!

I work ft, so don't have Ioads of time to exercise, but can fit in cardio two or 3x a week for an hour a session maximum, and have a dog who needs walking.

Bindibach Thu 15-May-14 12:05:50

I just don't diet in any way shape or form anymore as it will only end up in me bingeing. I have had disordered eating in the past so I have been eating without dieting for 10 years now. I love food and don't want to be deprived of any of it. The way I keep my weight steady is to only eat when Im truly hungry and stop when Im satisfied and eat any type of food I want. Im eating like a naturally slim person. I will not ever diet again.

BIWI Thu 15-May-14 13:36:54

I did wonder if it was you! We were also, I think, both on The Other Forum wink

violetina Thu 15-May-14 13:59:15

Bindi - you are how I am attempting to be, but I want to lose a few pounds with 5:2 first, then maintain.

I'd be interested to know more about fasting and women's hormones.

Biwi - I like the idea of lc, but didn't lose weight with bootcamp (I think because of dairy), but found it too tough to cut dairy too. I also worry about eating too much animal produce and actually really enjoy beans and pulses. I can understand why it works well for some people though. From reading all the lovely helpful ideas here, it seems to me that us 50-odds do need to adapt to the menopause and post-menopause in a way which suits us individually, but not easy to work out what that may be.

It's my second fast day today - so far, so good, but the weekend will be the challenge, especially as we have friends coming for a meal on Saturday.

Bindibach Thu 15-May-14 14:06:00

Have you looked into the 8/16 fast where you eat normally for eight hours a day then fast for 16 ? Although it is suggested that 14 / 10 is better for Women and those hormones. So far my menopause has been normal with light hot flushes and no periods.

IrianofWay Thu 15-May-14 14:13:56

Talking of different ways to lose weight! Mum gave me a box of green tea with pineapple. it's supposed to help you lose weight. I admit to scepticism but it's almost carbohydrate and calorie free and it also requires me to drink 1.5 litres of water, I thought I'd give it a go. Anyone tried this?

violetina Thu 15-May-14 16:08:23

Bindi - I hadn't heard of that. What does 'eat normally' mean though? Is that your TDEE? I'm not great at portion sizes, so would probably over-eat/drink for 8 hours if I didn't try to control it in some way.

Bindibach Thu 15-May-14 20:17:13

Because I don't diet eating normally means only eat when I am hungry
taste and savour food and stop as soon as I feel satisfied. Its body led calorie control I guess. Only your body knows how much it needs and it will tell you if you tune into it.

I do mindful eating (Paul McKenna type of thing) and have done it for 10 years now.

For the 8 hour diet, look it up on amazon or the internet (if you havnt already). It explains it better than me.

Sorry, I myself don't do the 8 hour diet, was just wondering if you had heard of it as it might suit you better than two days of 500 cals. Didn't mean to confuse you.

violetina Thu 15-May-14 21:04:47

I really do need to cultivate mindful eating Bindi. I am an emotional eater and also often eating in a hurry.

Bindibach Thu 15-May-14 21:59:21

Have you had a read of Paul McKenna's Emotional Book? Of course there are many on the subject out there. A lot of us on the Paul McKenna thread are reading it at the moment.

Bindibach Thu 15-May-14 22:02:33

I know you said that you want to lose the weight and then do mindful eating but you can lose weight through mindful eating too. If fasting works then great but if not and you find yourself back to square one and still at the same weight or even heavier, then maybe try Pauls method (its not his really its just that he has brought it into the mainstream). Worth a thought.

violetina Thu 15-May-14 22:59:28

Thanks - I will try that if 5:2 fails, and may do it anyway. Diolch eto

Bindibach Thu 15-May-14 23:35:12

Croeso. grin

IrianofWay Fri 16-May-14 11:37:06

I have the Paul McKenna book and I must admit it did help me eat more sensibly. But I hardly lost any weight. I think I need a 'proper' ie strict diet to get more or less where I want to be and then use mindful eating methods to stay there!

One of the ways I have coped with depression is eating! I know, I know it's not ideal. But on days when I just felt so low the idea that I could eat something nice when I got home comforted me. And of course eating 'something nice' so easily changes to two and then three! I have come off my ads to help with weight loss but I am very aware that if the depression comes back I will be tempted to eat even more. It's a balancing act for me.

Bindibach Fri 16-May-14 13:39:05

If you lost some weight on mindful eating then that is great. Its not a diet as you know so the weight loss can be quick or slow but its about ditching the diets and learning how to eat normally (as in eating whatever you want but only eating till you feel that you are satisfied). Lots of people say they will try mindful eating when they have dieted the weight off and that's fine but most people unfortunately never do get rid of the weight and end up on diet after diet and then 5,10,15 years have passed and they are still looking for the next miracle diet to help them lose the weight. Mindful eating might show slow weight loss but at least in a year you may have lost 12 lbs , which is one pound a month but you could be on diet after diet and after a year still not have lost any weight. A lot of people doing Mindful Eating do lose more than that though and eat whatever they want but they use their own body to decide on how much they need to eat rather than a "diet". It also helps with those emotions of needing to eat for reasons other than hunger which we all get. PM does some great books on emotional eating and there are exercises in the book to help you deal with bingeing to stop it in its tracks until the urge goes. But there are other books out there on the subject too if you wanted to try something different.

storynanny2 Sat 17-May-14 10:28:22

I like that phrase " mindful eating", not heard it before. I think keeping a food diary has made me more "mindful" though. I am on week 11 and slowing down a bit now so will probably need to add in a bit more exercise.
I only lost half a pound this week and didnt do anything different.

A few years ago I read that Victoria Beckham ( not that she needs to be on a diet) was a fan of edamame beans for weight control. I have just tried them for the first time and they are delicious. A small handful is about 100 calories so a good snack and very filling. They sell them in tescos and waitrose frozen as soya beans but I couldnt find them in the other supermarkets. I have started taking them as a breaktime snack when I am at work.
I am enjoying reading the get ready for summer thread and already feel better in my summer clothes than I did the last few summers. I am determined this time to find a way to maintain my target weight when I get there!

storynanny2 Sat 17-May-14 10:31:40

By the way, Re hormones. I wasnt allowed as a migraine sufferer to take HRT as apparently it increases the risk of stroke, but my doctor suggested a low dose of citalopram anti depressant to keep me " on an even keel" in his words. It has been amazing. The only menopausal symptom that was and still is troubling is insomnia. I never sleep for more than 2 hours unbroken. It drives me mad.

IrianofWay Wed 21-May-14 16:28:07

Bog-standard lc here. Have lost 5lbs in 8 days which puts my BMI back in the healthy (if not aesthetically-pleasing) range. Hurray!

fatlazymummy Thu 22-May-14 20:26:26

I lost nearly 4 stones at the age of 51. I have kept it off for 2 years now.
I basically made up my own diet. I switched to a smaller plate, reduced things like bread and pasta, cut out or severely reduced the obvious junk (cakes, crisps,biscuits, etc). No ready meals or takeaways (don't like them any way ). I made sure I ate at least 3 portions of veg and 2 of fruit every day (this really helps to fill you up). No alcohol or fizzy drink.
As far as exercise goes - very important to me. I started off doing Wii fit (the actual exercises not balance game)for 1 hour every day. After 3 months I felt able to go swimming, which is now my main form of exercise. I also walk a few miles a day and do things like pushups, squats and work with dumbbells indoors

violetina Fri 23-May-14 07:40:49

A progress report...

I have now followed 5:2 since May 12, and lost a fraction over three and a half lbs - i.e in 11 days, although I have just weighed after a fast day and before eating.

I had a very sociable weekend, lots of lovely food and wine, but then mainly ate 'clean' on the other non fast days in the week, although some alcohol at an event this week.

I am also avoiding bread and not eating carbs after 7pm.

Also exercising a bit.

It seems to be going the right way, I feel good and have plenty of energy.

violetina Fri 23-May-14 07:56:54

Well done fatlazymummy (do you need to change name now?). That's such an inspirational story.

fairywoods Fri 23-May-14 09:58:45

Hi fatlazymummy (you should have 'inspiration' as your name). That's brilliant! How long did it take to lose 4 stones? Did you feel hungry all the time? Did you have a lightbulb moment? I am struggling to lose 20lbs and keep having good days, then feel really hungry and then fall off the wagon (again!). How did you stay focused and curb the hunger and did you have any hiccups along the way. Any tips would be fab! thanks smile

fatlazymummy Fri 23-May-14 13:34:35

Thankyou violetina and fairywoods
To answer your questions, it took me about a year, though I really see it as an ongoing process.
I don't really feel hungry,because I have got used to eating smaller amounts. If I eat too much now I start to feel sick and bloated.
Yes, I did (and still do) have 'hiccups' along the way. What helps me to stick with it is being focussed on my health, rather than appearance or dress size (though they are nice bonuses of course). My dad had his 1st heart attack at 53, and was dead by 60. I don't want to follow in his footsteps.
My lightbulb moment - well I had a few. The most memorable one was being at a funeral and realising I was the only fat one out of my siblings.
My tips - find a way of eating that you like and suits you. If you have a bad day and 'pig out' then draw a line under it and move on .Tomorrow really is another day. Fit as much activity and exercise into your day as possible - walking,climbing stairs, etc. Do some form of weight training - have a look on you tube if you don't fancy the gym. Exercise is important to help prevent loose skin and tone up, which helps you feel better.
Best of luck. You can do it.

storynanny2 Sat 24-May-14 14:34:11

Can you lose weight on your feet and ankles!? I have now lost one stone 2pounds , just tried on my summer sandals and a couple of last years pairs are slipping off. Had a good look in the mirror and my cankles are less hideous. Unfortunately I haven't lost a single bit from my DD's up top. So I now have sloppy footwear and my dresses are still "snug" very unfair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now