GP said my stomach has stretched after eating too much and it needs to shrink again - true?

(9 Posts)
silverblur Thu 08-May-14 07:29:01

I've had a lot on over the last five years and as a result have out on two stones. My GP said something yesterday that was really interesting, essentially that I have acquired bad habits including not knowing when to stop eating/having too large a petition, and as a result my stomach will have stretched and become bigger to accommodate that.

Is that true? I'm not doubting my GP as she's really nice, but I've never heard that a stomach can do that before? She told me to cut down on portion sizes and eat off a smaller plate than DH, which does make sense.

Interested if anyone has ever come across this before.

silverblur Thu 08-May-14 07:29:30

Portion not petition! grin

BindiBach Thu 08-May-14 07:33:07

Well yes. People can stretch their stomachs again after having gastric band surgery if they start overeating again.

marmitelover Thu 08-May-14 07:38:56

Yes it's true. If you over- eat over a period of time your stomach expands to cope and as a consequence is bigger and therefore needs more to feel full.

marmitelover Thu 08-May-14 07:38:56

Yes it's true. If you over- eat over a period of time your stomach expands to cope and as a consequence is bigger and therefore needs more to feel full.

silverblur Thu 08-May-14 07:41:33

Wow, ok then fair enough! Feeling a little blush that I've done that to myself.

Bonsoir Thu 08-May-14 07:42:18

Yes, your GP is right. You need to reeducate both your body and your mind to eat less.

Boleh Thu 08-May-14 07:53:38

Yep, apparently one of the reasons that Alternate Day Fasting works is that you eat so little on the Fast Days that your stomach shrinks and you take less to feel full on the normal days - making it quite hard to overeat so much you compensate for the fasting. The idea is that the same works with 5:2 but I don't think there have actually been any scientific studies backing that up. The 5:2 main thread has some into in the 1st post about it.

BindiBach Thu 08-May-14 19:32:34

The only thing with the 5:2 is the amount of people who seem to end up bingeing after fast days and then give up. It does seem to have to affect of causing disordered eating in that way. You only have to read the stories of those for whom fasting has worsened their bingeing. I would imagine that the bingeing would cause the stomach to stretch out again easily. Of course not everyone binges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now