Do you find that when you're consciously 'dieting', all you think about is bloody food?!

(5 Posts)
Tansie Tue 06-May-14 15:03:56

I use the word 'dieting' to mean 'consciously doing something about your weight' before I'm corrected, be it SW, PMK, Cambridge, whatever.

I don't necessarily mean 'Are you ravenous all the time?'- just what the title says, you find yourself constantly musing about what you've eaten and what you will eat.

I guess if you're on an 'eat less' diet, as opposed to a completely new or even 'alien' w.o.e, you eventually get used to your woe thus cease to constantly think about it!

I couldn't calorie count- I'd get obsessional! I eat 'mindfully'.

But I do 'worry' a bit about what I'm going to eat next. Occasionally I almost panic blush. Will it be too much? If I eat that I won't be able to have the other! I'm hungry and I really fancy a bread roll but if I do (carb alert, carb alert!) I will be 'on rations' come dinner time. Hardly 'mindful', is it? sad So sometimes I end up quite seriously under eating which of course is a great enemy of weight loss!

Once again, it's all comes down to retraining our minds as well as our bodies, doesn't it?

Tansie Wed 07-May-14 11:37:53

So -just me?!

I'd be genuinely surprised if that is the case- but I'd also be grateful for the hints and tips those who don't constantly think about food employ to not do so?!

fascicle Thu 08-May-14 10:39:16

Well, doing something differently - in this case eating - does involve conscious thought, before it can become second nature. Mindful eating is a particularly conscious way of eating, although in a very different way to conventional dieting. It sounds as though some of your concerns about food may be hangovers from previous ways of eating/dieting. Can you reassure yourself that the process will work, but that it needs time to do so, and in the longrun, a bread roll (eaten mindfully!) is neither here nor there?

mytwoblackandwhitecats Thu 08-May-14 15:09:59

No, it isn't just you!

Apparently when you exercise, the first bit is awful then you get into a rhythm and it's all right. That's how I am with my diet. The first month was horrific and I was OBSESSED with food. Now, I'm mostly ok; but you do need to get beyond the first week/fortnight.

If helps when you see the rewards too like when you fit into a pair of jeans or a dress smile

Tansie Fri 09-May-14 10:47:10

Glad it isn't just me!

I'm on week 7 of my mindful eating campaign and I must say I do find myself thinking about my w.o.e an awful lot of the time! Not 'about food' as such, I guess but about what I will and won't put in my mouth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now