contraception and weight loss

(4 Posts)
sbm78 Wed 23-Apr-14 13:24:47

Hi all, I just wondered if any of you have difficulties losing weight because of the contraception you are using?

I have the merina coil and I struggle to lose. I mean I do lose weight but very very slowly. I've been doing SW for 3 years and lost 1.5 stone. I lose say half - 1lb a week if I'm lucky. I'm starting to think the coil might be having an effect.

What do you guys think?

Rockchick1984 Sat 26-Apr-14 09:25:05

I'd be speaking to your sw consultant and keeping very specific food and drink diaries to make sure you're following the plan to the letter. Although some hormonal contraception can make it harder to lose weight, it should still be possible to lose more than 7lbs a year!

specialsubject Sat 26-Apr-14 18:28:06

it has never been proved that hormonal contraception makes women fat. It can increase appetite but that's not the same thing.

1lb a week is the sustainable, sensible rate. Sounds like you are yo-yoing.

Hormones can increase appetite - it varies from person to person, but may be the case for hormonal contraception/fertility meds/HRT.
Mirena gives you the smallest possible amount of hormones which will also affect your body's own hormones, so not necessarily more hormone IYSWIM.

.5-1 lb wt loss/week is about right and sustainable and should translate to 30 lbs a year or so.
I don't think that your Mirena is to blame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now