Raspberry ketone. Has my mum been scammed?

(10 Posts)
MistletoeBUTNOwine Mon 21-Apr-14 15:30:21

My dm is 74 shock and wants to lose a bit of weight. She saw something on channel 4 and has bought a 'free sample' paid p&p. can't remember the website name and has no email confirmation of order hmm
I've told her NOT to buy stuff off net without showing me!
Anyone know what this is? Is it real or a scam?

MistletoeBUTNOwine Mon 21-Apr-14 15:34:35
BellaVita Mon 21-Apr-14 15:41:26

I watched something about this a couple of weeks ago on "Don't get done get Dom".

Pretty certain it was the same company.

Basically a young girl bought some and it didn't do what it was supposed to do. I think it said if you were not happy you could get your money back which she tried to do in the meantime they had sent her the next months supply. When she looked at her bank statements they had taken loads of money out.

I would check out then Ts&Cs.

AreYouFeelingLucky Mon 21-Apr-14 15:49:32

The free sample is to get your bank details. Now they'll dispatch it monthly, despite it being a complete con.

Google it, this is an old & well known scam.

PigletJohn Mon 21-Apr-14 15:54:37

If you put "contact" in their search field you get a fake address and phone number.

Get the account holder to contact the card company and cancel her payment authority.

furbaby Mon 21-Apr-14 16:11:15

Its a scam .
I did the same and sent for so called free trial ,

I realised my mistake and rang bank and cancelled card .
I emailed company to cancel and when free trial arrived I returned them without even opening them .

Think it was the same company but used a different name .

if card isnt cancelled they take out money each month and send you more tablets .

I do hope you manage to sort this for your mum .

MistletoeBUTNOwine Mon 21-Apr-14 16:20:23

Thank you for your replies. She thought they sounded 'genuine' hmm

MistletoeBUTNOwine Mon 21-Apr-14 16:37:22

Yep, cancellation phone number and email address fake.
Bastards.

specialsubject Tue 22-Apr-14 11:41:15

bank or credit company will help.

there are no magic diet pills.

17vowley Fri 02-May-14 20:08:47

This has just happened to my 21 year old student daughter. They have taken best part of £400.00 out of her student account in the last 2 weeks. Fortunately after being very persuasive with her bank the bank have credited the full amount. The company (Sheridan Labs Ltd) are so slippery. I managed to contact them and they agreed to reimburse £80.00. I asked them why couldn't they refund the £200.00 for the stuff that she hasn't as yet received and was told it is not possible. The BBB which is an American version of our Consumer agencies has 348 filed complaints against them. Although my daughter's story ended positively I have since read many outcomes that are not resolved. In the UK the way they operate is illegal but remember this company operates from the USA. There is a facebook site called Equinox Scam which offers helpful information. I have filed a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaints Centre website: ic3.gov because this scam needs to be stopped. Anyone who wants to know more just ask smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now