Threads in this topic will auto-delete after 90 days.

10,000 steps a day challenge. Anyone want to join me?

(65 Posts)
GoogleIsBad Thu 20-Feb-14 15:48:33

I've been trying to lose weight and also get a bit healthier. I've lost about a stone and a half, would ideally like to lose another one and a half. Have been trying to eat healthier and loosely following slimming world. I'm at a bit of a standstill weight wise so I thought I'd aim to increase my exercise see if I can shift some more weight that way.

So yesterday I bought a pedometer and I am going to aim for 10,000 steps a day. I'll also try to combine this with other exercise when I can.

Today so far I've done 7000. Would anyone like to join me and check in with progress or encouragement? smile

hopebeyondreason Mon 10-Mar-14 16:25:53

Yes, really addictive. I am managing about 12,400 steps per day and so far I have had the green lights every day. Walking the dog at a brisk pace sorts much of it out. I'm going to stick at this for a while and see if it has any effect on my weight (no sign so far!), and then up the target a bit.

magentastardust Sun 09-Mar-14 22:33:35

It gets quite addictive doesn't it! I find myself saying -okay you have your cup of coffee when you reach xxxx steps -it has really made me think about how much activity I do.
Nothing is left on the stairs now for going up stairs in one big trip-lots of little trips to up step amount and the house is looking tidier too smile

hopebeyondreason Fri 07-Mar-14 16:43:12

Can I join? Inspired by this posting, I bought a Fitbit Flex and I'm really impressed. It is very motivating. I'm marking exam papers at the moment, which means I am pretty much glued to a chair. But I have made myself get up every hour or so and the dog has had a good walk, so I've already done about 8,000 steps, including over 30 mins of higher activity. Finally, something might get me moving more!!

magentastardust Fri 07-Mar-14 10:40:32

I managed 18000 yesterday because I had a Zumba class and had a pretty active day anyway. I do want to try and hit 10k as many days as I can. Just hope it eventually reflects on the scales!

GoogleIsBad Fri 07-Mar-14 07:28:27

How are we all getting on?

I've managed the 10,000 for 5 days in a row, aiming for the full week but weekends are usually my downfall! smile

GoogleIsBad Tue 04-Mar-14 22:41:53

Wow, well done, that's amazing! I'm just over 12,000 for today

Fairyneuf Tue 04-Mar-14 18:10:08

I'm up to just over 21,000 today. Determined to get to 30 so I'm off for a jog later.

GoogleIsBad Tue 04-Mar-14 18:01:48

I am just over 7000 but have an exercise class tonight which should take me over.

It really does make you more aware of how much you are moving. I am going to really try to get 10,000 every day this week smile

magentastardust Tue 04-Mar-14 17:41:11

I am up to 8500 so far today but had to do an exercise video to get my steps up ! It definitely motivates you to do more!

GoogleIsBad Mon 03-Mar-14 21:53:44

10,500 for me today!

I would be up for joining a fitbit group. Wouldn't know how to start one, but would sign up if someone explained how! smile

magentastardust Mon 03-Mar-14 21:53:17

Haribo steps still count!

WholeNutt Mon 03-Mar-14 18:23:57

Just over 12000 steps today, 700 of them were to get Haribo..that's not good is it.

magentastardust Mon 03-Mar-14 17:58:54

Hi I just bought a Fitbit Zip so today is my first day on it-hopefull to make my 10000!
Loving that it syncs to my phone and to MyFitnessPal.

Have you started a Fitbit group -I noticed there was a Mumsnet one but wasn't sure how current it was?

Does anyone want to add each other on it for motivation?

GoogleIsBad Sun 02-Mar-14 19:11:00

I'm at 8049 so far today so I will have a jog about later see if I can get to 10000 as I've not made it in a few days.

I wish activity could be tracked and turned into steps. I'm moving house in a few weeks so I'm trying to de-clutter and get rid of lots of stuff. Was so productive yesterday - filled 12 bin bags, dismantled a computer desk, pulled out cupboards, moved furniture. Ended the day totally exhausted at 2000 steps! grin

Earlybird Sun 02-Mar-14 14:09:04

It has been a crazy week, so haven't had time to walk just for exercise - which means I didn't hit the 10,000 step target on most days. Next week is not nearly so mad, so should be able to achieve more.

Was chuffed to see I made 10,000 (and beyond) yesterday though - just through the course of my day. Whew! Glad that day is done.....

WholeNutt Sun 02-Mar-14 13:50:07

I'm in! Just bought my fitbit zip, set it up and it says I've used 729 calories..how is that possible when I've only just set it up?!

Amandaclarke Sun 02-Mar-14 11:57:18

OntheBottom - I use Endomondo on my iphone, it doesn't so much track steps but tracks miles and a mile is roughly 1,000 steps. This is useful if you are doing one walk a day like me, I walk my dog and try and do 3.5-4 miles and then I would hope that general moving about would bring that up to 5 miles or 10,000 steps.

sunbathe Sun 02-Mar-14 10:29:48

The fitbit flex is about £80. Not sure about the other types.

Tiredemma Sun 02-Mar-14 09:43:37

Are fitbits expensive?

sunbathe Sun 02-Mar-14 09:40:32

The fitbit zip looks cool. I wanted the wristband as it's simple, and for the alarm function.

Fairyneuf Sun 02-Mar-14 08:34:24

Count me in too. Another Fitbit user here.

I've had it since December and it certainly works as an incentive to get moving. Although I've recently discovered I can jog my 10000 steps and then sit and mumsnet for the rest of the afternoon!

WholeNutt Sun 02-Mar-14 08:11:24

Count me in! I'm going to get a fitbit today, which should I get? I'm looking at the fitbit zip activity tracker rather than the wristband.

Iwasagnome Sat 01-Mar-14 22:57:48

That's very keen of you
I forgot to use my pedometer until late morning and it's saying 5728 now so even if I guesstimate another 2000 it's not very good!
Time to up my game and make a bit more effort methinks

sunbathe Fri 28-Feb-14 22:32:47

Phew! Just managed the 10,000. Walking and running round the house to get the last couple of thousand in. Feel shattered.

Iwas - I like my fitbit for the alarm too. It vibrates on your wrist. I found it really effective for waking me up. I also log how much water I drink too. That's made me more conscious of how little I drink and now I make an effort to drink more.

GoogleIsBad Fri 28-Feb-14 13:31:33

I do really like my fitbit, although I have only had it for just over a week. I have the fitbit one. I like that it syncs to my phone and I can see my activity and dashboard on there too.

I also use the band at night to monitor my sleep and I find that quite interesting to see when i wake, but I don't think there is any real benefit of this for me grin

I bought mine from a seller on ebay for half price, and it was brand new, but there are (or were the other week when I was looking) lots selling for half price or so that had only been used for a week or similar short periods of time.

Today I have done 4000, which was a walk into work and around the office etc, I will walk home and potter about the shops for a bit, so hopefully I wont have to do too much tonight to get me to the magic 10,000!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now