10,000 steps a day challenge. Anyone want to join me?

(65 Posts)
GoogleIsBad Thu 20-Feb-14 15:48:33

I've been trying to lose weight and also get a bit healthier. I've lost about a stone and a half, would ideally like to lose another one and a half. Have been trying to eat healthier and loosely following slimming world. I'm at a bit of a standstill weight wise so I thought I'd aim to increase my exercise see if I can shift some more weight that way.

So yesterday I bought a pedometer and I am going to aim for 10,000 steps a day. I'll also try to combine this with other exercise when I can.

Today so far I've done 7000. Would anyone like to join me and check in with progress or encouragement? smile

Earlybird Sun 02-Mar-14 14:09:04

It has been a crazy week, so haven't had time to walk just for exercise - which means I didn't hit the 10,000 step target on most days. Next week is not nearly so mad, so should be able to achieve more.

Was chuffed to see I made 10,000 (and beyond) yesterday though - just through the course of my day. Whew! Glad that day is done.....

GoogleIsBad Sun 02-Mar-14 19:11:00

I'm at 8049 so far today so I will have a jog about later see if I can get to 10000 as I've not made it in a few days.

I wish activity could be tracked and turned into steps. I'm moving house in a few weeks so I'm trying to de-clutter and get rid of lots of stuff. Was so productive yesterday - filled 12 bin bags, dismantled a computer desk, pulled out cupboards, moved furniture. Ended the day totally exhausted at 2000 steps! grin

magentastardust Mon 03-Mar-14 17:58:54

Hi I just bought a Fitbit Zip so today is my first day on it-hopefull to make my 10000!
Loving that it syncs to my phone and to MyFitnessPal.

Have you started a Fitbit group -I noticed there was a Mumsnet one but wasn't sure how current it was?

Does anyone want to add each other on it for motivation?

WholeNutt Mon 03-Mar-14 18:23:57

Just over 12000 steps today, 700 of them were to get Haribo..that's not good is it.

magentastardust Mon 03-Mar-14 21:53:17

Haribo steps still count!

GoogleIsBad Mon 03-Mar-14 21:53:44

10,500 for me today!

I would be up for joining a fitbit group. Wouldn't know how to start one, but would sign up if someone explained how! smile

magentastardust Tue 04-Mar-14 17:41:11

I am up to 8500 so far today but had to do an exercise video to get my steps up ! It definitely motivates you to do more!

GoogleIsBad Tue 04-Mar-14 18:01:48

I am just over 7000 but have an exercise class tonight which should take me over.

It really does make you more aware of how much you are moving. I am going to really try to get 10,000 every day this week smile

Fairyneuf Tue 04-Mar-14 18:10:08

I'm up to just over 21,000 today. Determined to get to 30 so I'm off for a jog later.

GoogleIsBad Tue 04-Mar-14 22:41:53

Wow, well done, that's amazing! I'm just over 12,000 for today

GoogleIsBad Fri 07-Mar-14 07:28:27

How are we all getting on?

I've managed the 10,000 for 5 days in a row, aiming for the full week but weekends are usually my downfall! smile

magentastardust Fri 07-Mar-14 10:40:32

I managed 18000 yesterday because I had a Zumba class and had a pretty active day anyway. I do want to try and hit 10k as many days as I can. Just hope it eventually reflects on the scales!

hopebeyondreason Fri 07-Mar-14 16:43:12

Can I join? Inspired by this posting, I bought a Fitbit Flex and I'm really impressed. It is very motivating. I'm marking exam papers at the moment, which means I am pretty much glued to a chair. But I have made myself get up every hour or so and the dog has had a good walk, so I've already done about 8,000 steps, including over 30 mins of higher activity. Finally, something might get me moving more!!

magentastardust Sun 09-Mar-14 22:33:35

It gets quite addictive doesn't it! I find myself saying -okay you have your cup of coffee when you reach xxxx steps -it has really made me think about how much activity I do.
Nothing is left on the stairs now for going up stairs in one big trip-lots of little trips to up step amount and the house is looking tidier too smile

hopebeyondreason Mon 10-Mar-14 16:25:53

Yes, really addictive. I am managing about 12,400 steps per day and so far I have had the green lights every day. Walking the dog at a brisk pace sorts much of it out. I'm going to stick at this for a while and see if it has any effect on my weight (no sign so far!), and then up the target a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now