Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

The Crap Dieters Thread

(232 Posts)
Nancery Wed 12-Feb-14 23:41:02

A place for those of us who regularly fall of the wagon, to gently ease each other back on, or at least to put the second creme egg back in the box...

Following a previous thread, it appears I am certainly not alone in not sticking to anything which will help me shift the extra blubber. Young DC's and hectic lives make quick fixes, or large glasses of wine after they've gone to bed, far more important (at the time) than sensible meal planning or finding time to devote to working out.

Howevet, I am going to Cornwall in April and want to use that as a starting point for feeling less ghastly this summer. If I don't lose much weight, at the very least I don't want to put any more on!!

nice to meet you both so to speak, I am a general wuss about any classes but walk loads, then undo it all my picking at custard creams while at the computer. have ordered pump it up ministry of sound DVD as I love to dance and a loaf tin to make up fruit loaves for snacks not much better but more so than custard creams.

Holliewantstobehot Sun 16-Feb-14 11:37:32

Well last two days were not too bad, not great but not terrible. Am feeling much more motivated today mostly because I have had a rest after exh missing last two access weekends. Am not very good when I am tired! So hoping to really get going from today. I have a wedding and hen night to go to in November so am aiming to be lower end of 14 stone by then. Baking is a good idea super - was thinking myself that if I had to bake all the sweet stuff in the house then there probably wouldn't be much for me to snack on!

DorisAllTheDay Sun 16-Feb-14 12:42:42

May I join? I am bruised to bits from decades of falling off the wagon!

My history: first diet at age 9, around the time my mum was doing WW. Yo-yo diets from then onwards (I'm in my late 40s), and a very unhealthy relationship with food. I eat secretly, and when I binge, I find it almost impossible to stop. By summer 2012 I was 15 stone 7, which at 5' 3" is a lot. Somehow I managed my most successful and sustained weight loss ever, hitting 9 stone last October. It was the lightest I'd been in all my adult life. There were short binging episodes during that year and a bit, but nothing sustained, and I thought I'd cracked it.

Since then, I seem to be back on a binge-and-diet cycle. December was a bad month and I found myself eating compulsively. By the start of January I was 10 and a half stone. I decided to try 5:2 and had three weeks of following it and feeling back in control. And then it all went again. I had three days away for work when I ate badly, a couple of days back trying to get back on the wagon, and then a week of binging last week. Pastries, cake, chocolate, all in huge amounts.

I'm now hoisting myself back on the wagon yet again. I'm on the 5:2 thread which is a lovely friendly place, but I could do with all the help I can get! I'm absolutely terrified that I will put on all the weight I lost in 2012-13 and then some. I feel so depressed at either the prospect of being significantly overweight for the rest of my life, or feeling deprived and constantly wanting to eat things I can't have.

supermario I'm a walker too - I hate gyms and so on, but I do walk loads. It's good for my head as well as my body!

Good luck to everyone, and congratulations to anyone who's got back onto the wagon in the last few days.

YouseewhathappensLarry Sun 16-Feb-14 15:18:18

Had my first slimming world weigh in and lost 6 lbs so pretty happy with that , quite liking the diet, I'm craving bread and sugar ridiculously but keep reminding myself of my thighs chaffing in the summer of I don't do something soon.

Nancery Sun 16-Feb-14 21:53:21

youseewhathappenslarry that's brilliant! Really good for keeping enthusiasm going too, I imagine.
I've had an appalling weekend food consumption wise but plan to be better behaved from Monday - one day at a time!

50KnockingonabiT Tue 18-Feb-14 21:07:00

Hello ladies, I discovered MN today. Spent may day off reading all sorts of thingssmile Just found the dieting section and this thread jumped right out at mesmile I have spent the last 10-15 doing weightwatchers on and off. Losing the same few stone time and time again. Rejoined yet again last Friday, so again I am on week 1! WI is on Friday morning. Hope to have lost something. So far so good this week, though I suspect my portion sizes are not exactly compatible with losing weight!

annielostit Thu 20-Feb-14 17:08:37

Hi ladies,
I just feel the need to say,
I've been on the diet bandwagon for 17 years now.(Sworld member at present). Sometimes I think we are looking at it all wrong.
Why are we beating ourselves up every day when other people do it for us. Shouldn't we just concentrate on making ourselves 'well' on the inside and soon it will show on the outside. I have wine/ crisps at the weekend but not mid week, I eat out twice a week but don't have takeaway as there's control over what I choose. Its taken me 18 wks to loose 9lb but have done it on my terms, a life but just making better choices.don't beat yourself up take it one day at a time.I didn't get 18lb fatter overnight and I ain't gonna get thinner that quick either.
We're not crap we're human and life gets in the way.
Good luck in your quests!x

Moanranger Thu 20-Feb-14 20:00:19

Crap dieter -that's me at the mo. Wasn't doing too bad til STBXH & I split last year, and I really took my eye off the ball fitness-wise. I really need to get a grip.
In all the rest of my life I have a simple but successful model, to wit: set goal, devise plan, execute plan (modifying as necessary), achieve goal. Where in this model am I failing in terms of diet? Somewhere around the devise & execute stage, I think.
At any rate, I am off to Spain for a week, so I will actually start on my return, 5 Mar. I am thinking something highly structured like Harcombe diet, plus the C25K programme ( I used to do Park Run 5ks 2years ago) Divorce is pants, but I cannot let it ruin my health. I will watch this space & post on my return

50KnockingonabiT Fri 21-Feb-14 15:19:19

After a brilliant start it all went at bit haywire on Wednesday and the last two days involved lots of biscuits and wine! I blame my DD for stressing me outsmile Anyhow still managed to show a 3lb weight loss this week. Determined to be on the wagon all week this week.

Nancery Sun 23-Feb-14 00:32:50

Op here.
Pissed. My sister married a dickhead. Will post properly when brain more in gear - been occupied with wedding stuff till now.
Next week, I'm on the wagon !

outtolunchagain Sun 23-Feb-14 09:56:19

So pleased to have found this thread,I am a rubbish dieter but really can't let my weight continue to climb.I just get bored by the whole dieting thing and get so depressed by it.I also find it difficult to admit I'm on a diet,I can't stand the well meaning comments ,so tend to ry and pretend I'm not on a dietconfused.

I am about 12 1/2 stone and need to lose a good couple of stone at my height.Not sure whether to go back to 5:2 (but found it difficult in the pm)or just straight calorie counting

miserywaterfall Sun 23-Feb-14 13:30:36

Hi all, mind if I join? I am so bad at sticking to diets and some fellow crap dieting friends would be appreciated grin

i'm 15st5 and have loads to lose, but I am a sugar and caffeine addict so those are the two things that always trip me up. I had a mmc recently and since then have been trying to shift some weight. I've went from 15st11 to 15st5 in a month so it's not been too bad.
Been chugging Slimfast shakes (they were on offer everywhere last month) so that has been helping. Also eating WW dinners which are suprisingly good! Excercise has been 0 other than my 2 mile round walk to college every day and back. Hate exercise!

Have been good today though, so going to try and be good for the rest of the day, lol x

Ihavemyownname Sun 23-Feb-14 13:55:43

Hello iv been trying to loose wait since ds was born 2 year ago but i am now fatter than I was just after he was born blush Iv started to eat better but fell off the wagon but I'm trying to get back on track again I have a lot of wait to lose but im going for small and hopefully achievable goals ( if I stop eating so much chocolate)
Today hasn't been to bad but could be better
I keep telling myself that fitting into a smaller outfit will fill much better than eating creme eggs that are now band from my house

Panadbois Sun 23-Feb-14 18:45:29

I wonder how much I would lose if I stop drinking wine? I'm crap at sticking to anything and have also tried loads of different plans and spending too much on books and stuff.

So depressing.

I did enough diets, and every time they drove me to crave the stuff I wasn't allowed. So by the time I came off the diet, I always wanted some food so bad I binged. After a few decades yo-yoing I've finally managed to stop.
It takes a long time to put on the weight, so it'll take a long time to come off. If the diet is too restrictive you'll stop doing it. There's no way I could do the fasting diet, I think I'd be too evil difficult to live with.

GirlFromTheNorthCountry Sun 23-Feb-14 20:38:04

Hi, mind if I join too? This sounds like exactly the thread for me. I am currently around 13st 7lb, would be happy at 11st. Like most of you I've done all the different diets for a few weeks then give up. Am currently attempting 5:2, which I actually get on well with, but my danger times are around 3pm and in the evening. At those times I almost have some sort of feeding frenzy, where I cannot stuff enough in my gob. Attractive. I think it's mostly tiredness (I have twins who do not sleep well) and boredom. Just need to work out what to do about it now...

outtolunchagain Sun 23-Feb-14 21:19:59

Northcountry those are exactly my weak times too.I get from work and school with ds3 and it's like all bets are off, then I feel awful at having failed so guess what I eat some moreangryThe mornings I can do fine .

tibni Sun 23-Feb-14 22:18:09

Hi, can I join too please?

I have approx. 2 stone to lose but just can't get myself into the mind-set. I do ok for a while, then slip. I too tend to be ok during the day but late afternoon I am just terrible, really understand the can't stuff enough into my gob sentiment.

I think tiredness plays a big part with me too. Have to be up very early for work and do additional on call till after midnight once a week. My ds has severe disability and my daughter is a teen! I seem to spend my time juggling and organising just to get through the week. Support from fellow crap dieters who understand would really be appreciated.

50KnockingonabiT Mon 24-Feb-14 10:49:23

Good Morning ladies. It's Monday, always a good day to start being on the wagon, if I'm lucky I'll last till dinner time.

How come we all know what to do to lose weight, but find it so difficult to carry it out? Personally I think I'm daunted with the thought that I'd have to be doing it forever. I'm an all or nothing kinda gal, so I'm either dieting or I'm not. Complete yoyo. When I am I'm 'perfect' when I'm not it's all biscuits, crisps wine, choc, takeaways ...... I'm sure some of you know exactly what I mean.

This time I have joined weightwatchers with a friend, hoping having personal support will keep me on the wagon long enough to see a difference and make me want to stick to it.

Here's to a good week for us all X

FourAndDone Mon 24-Feb-14 11:09:32

Placemarking, I'll be back later ladies grin

miserywaterfall Mon 24-Feb-14 11:13:14

Morning all, here's to a 'good' week!

I have started off well too, will see how long I can last! I'm getting married on Saturday but have been feeling that afterwards I am going to get serious about this weight loss/exercise thing, now I wont have a dress that must fit! Again, we'll see how long it lasts. I am such a bad comfort eater and I had a miscarriage almost 5 weeks ago, so food = my friend to deal with that pain.

Well, happy Monday and good luck guys smile

Nancery Mon 24-Feb-14 16:16:50

Hello fellow crap dieters! I've been off radar for awhile because I have been organising things my sisters wedding (she's married an absolute arse it's been grim) but now I'm back and can post more. Due to exhaustion and / or busyness I have been really bad food wise, but now the wedding is over and done with I hopefully can stick things a bit more healthily. (Me and my husband were doing all the decorations which is I have been so busy. While I didn't really want the wedding to happen, I do know that telling her that would just make her do it all the more, hence us sorting out the decorations.)
Today is my food intake has been pretty rubbish because we're waiting for a delivery from the supermarket, which is due any minute now. Once it is here I can be a bit more organised. I'm also going to make lots of soups so I can have things like that for lunch which will fill me up. I find that a lot of the time it's time that makes things difficult to not just grab sandwiches or toast all the time.
Looking at some of the wedding photos made me realise I really need to do something about it too!
Here's to a good week ladies!

Nancery Tue 25-Feb-14 21:45:01

Hmmm. Last night and today I have been revolting. A friend came over with a bottle of wine, we ended up drinking both while discussing the wedding and them I consumed lots of bread / cheese / biscuits as I was pissed. In the morning, as I was hungover I ate poached eggs on toast but not long after had some cream cheese on toast (was out with my mum and she made some supplies for the journey which were really meant to be for DS - it was a 2hr drive.) I also had sandwiches for lunch.
Soon I may turn into a loaf.

However, I had a reasonable tea and it, weirdly, has made me realise how dreadful I am when I lapse. I am also sick of being fat and feeling grim. Will write off the start of the week and, as tonight I am sober and feeling motivated, be sensible from tomorrow...

Nancery Tue 25-Feb-14 21:46:19

Misery, firstly so sorry for your miscarriage and gosh, wedding on Saturday? Congratulations!

miserywaterfall Wed 26-Feb-14 22:39:45

Thanks Nancery

Have been bad today too, but ah well, can't beat myself up about it. I enjoyed that creme egg too much wink

Let's see if we can get through tomorrow without being too bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now