What motivated you?

(19 Posts)
TwinkleSparkleBling Fri 07-Feb-14 21:35:47

I was out with DCs and they wanted me to go on a carousel with them. I felt too embarrassed. I have never let being fat stop me doing anything. Until now. I felt shit that my size stopped me doing this with them.

I don't want to feel like this again and am going to remember that feeling every time I want to overeat.

Those of you who have lost weight, did you have a 'defining' moment?

CMOTDibbler Fri 07-Feb-14 21:43:45

I saw myself in my competition beige jodphurs. The sight of my arse in those was enough to get me to lose 3.5 stone and keep it off

DulcetMoans Fri 07-Feb-14 21:55:07

Sight of myself in a bridesmaid dress, plus wanting to start TTC and the right friend to get me through it. 5st down now.

alphablock Sat 08-Feb-14 10:38:08

Last summer a couple of mums in the school playground announced they were determined to lose some weight. I didn't want to be the only fat mum, so decided to also make a bit of effort. Ironically they have lost very little since then, but I have lost 3 stone 5 lb.

PamHalpert Sat 08-Feb-14 11:56:01

Going on holiday and wearing a swimming costume with a swim skirt and always covering up. I'm 23 ffs, I should be strutting around in a bikini grin

I'm going back to the same place over New Year again. The thought of the possibility of the same people being there again is spurring me on. I want them to think "wow" grin

Also, we're going on holiday with lots of family next year, all of them are tiny. I want to feel confident next to them.

The major thing though is that I have PCOS and want to TTC. It isn't going to happen when I'm 6 stone overweight!

I've lost 25 lb so far, a quarter of the way there smile

BsshBossh Sat 08-Feb-14 13:00:23

Seeing the health of my mother and her friends decline rapidly after they hit 60 due to being overweight.

TwinkleSparkleBling Sat 08-Feb-14 19:18:39

Wow! Some great losses. Thanks for sharing your inspirations.

dottyaboutstripes Sat 08-Feb-14 19:25:04

Some mums at school asked if I wanted to go along to WW with them. I laughed and said no but a few months later asked if I could tag along after all as one if them had dropped from a size 16 to size 10, I was amazed! I went from a size 20 to size 8 (but after more babies am now a 10 - not that I'm complaining about that!)

daisydee43 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:22:08

Pics of myself at step mums hen do and cousins wedding (same year) looked like a walrus in a dress. Was size 14, now a 10 and have been for nearly a yeargrin

rusmum Sat 08-Feb-14 21:20:08

Our elderly neighbour coming over to help me with the shipping as I shouldn't be lifting in my condition ! ( wasn't pg!) lost 3 stone but regained 1. 16-18 to 12-14 . Need to get 1 back off to be a steady 12 again grin

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 08-Feb-14 22:03:04

My size 14 trousers were getting tight. I'd already grown put of my size 12 ones several years before and I just wasn't prepared to buy a bigger size.

I had gradually gained 21lbs over 3 years and over the last few months I have managed to lose it all and a bit more. My size 12 trousers are now lovely and loose and I feel so much better.

pussycatdoll Sat 08-Feb-14 22:05:54

Never having anything to wear because everything made me look 6 months pregnant

hiddenhome Sun 09-Feb-14 00:03:07

I'm sick of frumpy clothes and having a hamster face grin

basia2 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:08:29

I've always been thin, even after having children, without much effort.
But after the birth of my 3rd son, I had post partum depression and got on Prozac for awhile.
I was on it for seven months, and did not even realize that the weight had crept on, until one day I looked in the mirror naked and just HATED what I saw. All the weight was in my midsection- and not even in my lower belly, but more in my upper midsection. It looked hideous. How did I not notice this happening?
I quit prozac that very day. I've been off it for a year now, and am back to bring thin... the weight came off quickly after I quit, like three months.
So I guess what motivated me is hating the way I looked when I gained weight. I was simply unwilling to look like that, to live in that body. I refused. And once I finally noticed the problem, I ate very little, until all the weight was gone. The memory of how I looked with all that fat was enough to make me lose my appetite.

I am sure there are healthier ways and reasons to lose weight, but if I'm honest, that was mine. I was simply unwilling to live in a body that looked like that, and I refused to feed it anymore until it went back to looking the way I wanted it to.

Cheesyslice Sun 09-Feb-14 19:42:42

I walked past a shop window and didn't recognise that fat cow I saw in the reflection. Turns out it was me. Over 2st down now and back to a size 12.

basia2 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:45:23

Are UK clothes sizes different from US sizes?
Does anyone know? Or are they the same.
I live in the US.

Fatasfcuk Sun 09-Feb-14 21:22:51

Basia US clothing sizes are different. A UK size 8 is a US size 4.

basia2 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:42:19

Ah, okay.
I wear a US size 4 or 6. So I guess that would be a UK size 8 or 10.

Sad51 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:47:03

I never want to go beyond wearing a size 12. When my size 12's start becoming tight around the waist, I eat less calories.

I would not mind wearing a 10 as I did in my 20's however I would probably struggle to maintain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now