Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Come and join Sugar Free Club. First rule of Sugar Free Club is...er...we don't eat sugar.

(241 Posts)
SomewhatSilly Sat 01-Feb-14 09:50:41

And that's the only rule, really.

Come one, come all and join us!

FatalCabbage Sun 11-May-14 09:11:47

Don't know why that posted on its own hmm

Anyway, I find full-fat milk porridge with a little fruit (banana, sultanas, etc) starts the day right. If I get nibbly cravings then ready salted crisps help - most other flavours have sugar in - or fruit, perhaps with full-fat Greek yogurt, does the job. Often I'd think hmm I fancy something ... Well if I can't have a Twix I'll not bother then.

I relax the rules on Sundays.

FatalCabbage Sun 11-May-14 09:11:33

Don't know why that posted on its own hmm

Anyway, I find full-fat milk porridge with a little fruit (banana, sultanas, etc) starts the day right. If I get nibbly cravings then ready salted crisps help - most other flavours have sugar in - or fruit, perhaps with full-fat Greek yogurt, does the job. Often I'd think hmm I fancy something ... Well if I can't have a Twix I'll not bother then.

I relax the rules on Sundays.

FatalCabbage Sun 11-May-14 09:02:44

Low fat has been debunked in longitudinal studies. Fat is your friend here as it keeps you fuller for longer.

ALittleFaith Sun 11-May-14 08:28:32

Morning! Yes I can do GF porridge oats (although I need to go shopping for them).

Actually it's the GF equivalents of sugary junk that's my main poison. GF cookies in particular. They often add extra sugar to these things to improve the taste! Also fizzy drinks and Cadburys chocolate eclairs can scarf down a packet in one go

I meant to ask about milk. I've had skimmed for years but is it right there's extra sugar in that? I have a DD who is one and so on whole milk so I could switch to that.

FatalCabbage Sat 10-May-14 22:33:50

Can you do gluten-free oats? Porridge with a little fruit and made with whole milk is a good start to the day.

I imagine that if you're g-free you already avoid a lot of the worst sugar pitfalls already (cake, biscuits, etc) so what's your poison?

ALittleFaith Sat 10-May-14 22:13:51

Hello! Is anyone around? I'm keen to do this. I have realised I am a sugar addict. I've been doing Paul McKenna but he says Eat what you want but I need to break the sugar addiction. Where do I start?! I eat a gluten free diet which I guess makes things more complicated in some ways. I'm guessing I need to get natural yoghurt in for breakfast!

JimmyCorkhill Mon 28-Apr-14 10:15:13

Weetabix have sugar - sorry sad

My favourite breakfast is full fat Greek yogurt. I add cream to it but DH has berries (we get the bags of frozen fruit).

HearMyRoar Sun 27-Apr-14 20:14:48

This is the best cake recipe I know of. Someone linked to it on the original sugar free thread. It is amazing! Of course if you going hardcore and giving up dried fruit it's out, but if your just dropping added sugar and artificial sweetener it's ace. www.spoonfulofsugarfree.com/2013/07/15/flourless-chocolate-cake-made-with-almonds/

It is easier going sugar free if you cook from scratch but if you watch labels really carefully there are some surprising things you can eat (fishfingers! Yay!). Most pasta sauces have sugar but if you hunt the shelves I have found sugar free pasta sauce in the past. You have to be really careful of stuff like cooked meat. Even cooked chicken often contains sugar and it can be pretty tricky finding ham with no added sugar.

For breakfast you could try sugar free muesli. I generally go with Dorset cereals (though check as some have added sugar with the dried fruit) but I noticed aldi do one so might give that a go when I run out next. Or I tend to go for toast and sugar free peanut butter or marmite if I need something quick. I think shredded wheat is sugar free but as it's like eating stale hay I avoid that one. grin

Shatteredmamma1 Sun 27-Apr-14 14:27:03

Ladies is weetabix off limits? And what about fresh soup? Do I have to start making everything myself?! smile thanks

FatalCabbage Sun 27-Apr-14 14:03:45

Sugar free cake, you say? Do share good recipes!

HearMyRoar Sun 27-Apr-14 13:53:21

Hello....<sneaks sheepishly back onto thread>. Haven't been on for ages as I completely feel of the wagon and was left a crushed and broken heap in its wake due to house buying and moving trauma. I feel crap though after eating loads of sugar stuff and really want to stop again. So here I am!

purple have you tried giving up dairy? I have realised that I get thrush whenever I start eating too much dairy. Stop the dairy and the thrush goes. I have no idea of this is a common connection... it might just be me...

I am now off to make loads of sugar free cake to get me through the withdrawals. grin

purpleprincess Sun 27-Apr-14 11:57:38

Just quick question ladies....has anyone given up sugar to get rid of persistent thrush? Is if so did it work and how long did it take?

Thanks

Shatteredmamma1 Sat 26-Apr-14 06:46:49

Thanks countess that's helpful smile here I go!!!

CountessOfRule Fri 25-Apr-14 20:46:31

Hi and welcome shattered !

Bread you have to read the label - I think Best of Both and 50/50 are ok but standard sliced white or homemade aren't. If you're no-sugaring rather than low-carbing you can keep bread.

I keep dried fruit but I know others have cut it out. I cut out all refined/manufactured sugars but kept all naturally-occurring sugars.

Good luck! The first few days are the worst ... "what can I eeeeeeeeat" - and drinks are tricky and boring particularly when you go out. But once you work out your swaps it's easy, and gives you a real energy lift.

Shatteredmamma1 Fri 25-Apr-14 20:40:35

Ladies I'd like to do this. Do I have to give up bread? And presumably dried fruit? <silly newbie question>. Presumably more fat is good???

JimmyCorkhill Thu 24-Apr-14 23:16:43

I have salted pistachios as a treat. Plus taking the shells off makes the treat last longer.

purpleprincess Thu 24-Apr-14 20:34:41

Ok maybe I didn't mean sweet so much as just something else.... I usually eat lots of almonds during the day esp at work so probably need to branch out a bit. Cheese is good idea but prob not Apple later in the evening.

Not big nut fan unless covered with salt/honey roasted! Perhaps will try pecans as quite like them.

Thanks

CountessOfRule Thu 24-Apr-14 20:17:26

If I get nibbly in the evening I have apple and cheese - the salty cheese makes the apple taste even sweeter.

But yes, as your palate changes you won't care.

JimmyCorkhill Thu 24-Apr-14 20:14:10

If you avoid any sweet tasting foods you actually lose the cravings for it. You could have nuts instead, they seem quite decadent and you don't eat them quickly. Or maybe pour some double cream over the berries to make them more satisfying.

purpleprincess Thu 24-Apr-14 19:53:31

Hi ladies any tips for sweet tasting stuff I can have of an evening. I often crave something sweet after a meal or just want something later in the evening with my brew and of course off the biscuits now. sad

Will probably have few strawberries and blueberries later which will be boring lovely (as have had my Greek yoghurt and banana for the day) but need few more dessert type ideas

TIA

purpleprincess Sun 20-Apr-14 20:28:16

Sorry Houston? Should be 'just' had one toasted. Whoops

purpleprincess Sun 20-Apr-14 20:27:26

Thanks jimmy corkhill. I have managed to avoid birthday chocolate so far but have cheesecake today and prosecco (well it is Easter) so could blame that on SOS sugar. DH went and bought some reduced hot cross buns and has Houston had one toasted which I'm trying to resist.....aargh.

RuthlessBaggage Sun 20-Apr-14 20:05:07

Well, today I broke my fast (had given up for Lent) with a couple of things I thought I was missing, and some Easter Feast things.

Conclusions:

1. Squash doesn't taste of anything but sugar. Yawn. Not bothered.

2. Chocolate is just fat and sugar and doesn't taste of anything. I felt really very sick after really not very much.

3. Cheesecake is FIT. And surprisingly sweet compared with my memory.

I'm back to pre-baby weight (pre-DC3 that is) and have converted DH. He joins me tomorrow.

From now on I'm going to be strict during the week and a bit more lax at weekends - not bingeing, but not worrying about labels, eg lazy garlic as pp, or shop-bought mayonnaise, or salt and vinegar crisps.

If I get back to pre-DC2 weight (another 10lb ish) or pre-DC1 (yet another 10lb) I'll look at having more sugar on more occasions, ie not just SOS.

But it's good to have had as much as I wanted today, to learn that my palate has changed and sugar is a rubbish reward. Fruit is quite sweet and tasty enough, especially with some cheese. Yum.

JimmyCorkhill Sun 20-Apr-14 19:29:24

Did everyone survive Easter?!!

Hello purpleprincess. Hope you are doing okay and haven't been sabotaged by the birthday chocolate.

I've been making meals with 'easy garlic' and 'easy ginger', they come in a jar. They've got bloody sugar in them, gah! Why does garlic need sugar? That'll teach me to be lazy.

purpleprincess Sun 20-Apr-14 11:51:30

Bumping this. Perhaps there is another more current thread? Please can someone let me know and post link?

thanks. Happy easter tbusmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now