Come and join Sugar Free Club. First rule of Sugar Free Club is...er...we don't eat sugar.

(241 Posts)
SomewhatSilly Sat 01-Feb-14 09:50:41

And that's the only rule, really.

Come one, come all and join us!

JimmyCorkhill Sun 02-Feb-14 22:40:16

Phew, glad someone else mentioned bizarre dreams. I have had some corkers grin

This evening I have had loads of energy. First time ever! I usually collapse on the sofa once the kids are in bed. I totally wasted it though by just saying 'I have loads of energy, I should do something" every ten minutes to DP but hopefully this isn't a one off and I can actually utilise it next time!

zestypears Sun 02-Feb-14 23:47:20

Well done Dosey!

PinkPeanuts: "Sugar free however is something that sounds sustainable to me." you have absolutely hit the nail on the head there, I think. Having tried every diet out there, I've learned that sustainability is the key. Saying NO to processed sugary crap with all the additives and preservatives is, I believe sustainable. The body doesn't need them and can live without them. For me, cutting out starches in a fell swoop won't be sustainable, and I think that's going to be the key to my success. No eating plan will suit you in the long term, in the long run, if it's just all about deprivation.

With regards to the rice/potatoes question, I just can't equate something that is a whole food, that's come straight out of the ground (a potato), as being demonised in the way a processed chocolate muffin (the ones that come in plastic wrappers!) can be. Yes, the potato is converted into sugar in the body but I just can't accept that it's so terrible that it belongs in the same category as processed junk. (I appreciate others may feel differently which is fine!)

So, I am eating potatoes, karate, I am also easting white rice and pasta in sensible (small) portions. If I could find brown rice then I would but I'm not in the UK, and rice and pasta only come in one variety in this country - white! I am however giving up the bread - as I mentioned in the last thread it was coming back from holiday and finding a 2 week old white loaf in exactly the same state as we left it that made me realise how much crap there is in processed food, and here I am today! Again, there's no option of wholemeal bread here, but if there were then I may have some occassionally as a treat.

Slight loss on the scales this morning! smile

SomewhatSilly Sun 02-Feb-14 23:52:23

Well done zesty. Where are you, if you don't mind me asking? My DH is japanese so I wouldn't be able to give up the white rice!

zestypears Sun 02-Feb-14 23:53:13

(-and if I could find the whole meal bread as proper fresh bread with no nasties.)

zestypears Sun 02-Feb-14 23:54:12

Ohayo gozaimasu! wink

SomewhatSilly Mon 03-Feb-14 10:19:05

Ohayo! grin

helloeverything Mon 03-Feb-14 15:01:38

I'm just joining in again from the January thread. I'm finally feeling more like myself, still on the thirsty side, and a bit of insomnia but its getting better. Total of 2kg weight loss which is encouraging. Trying to not eat so much bread now, but living in France does not make this easy...
I'm with you on the potatoes thing zesty, I've been making potato and celeriac dauphinoise with double cream and butter. I've been doing a lot of baking and then giving it away straight away, I've suddenly become a benelovent baker instead of a greedy hoarder.

Nettee Mon 03-Feb-14 17:13:34

Hello again, good to see a new thread for my new start after a bad week. Feel like I am back to square one but the only way is forwards.

I saw the horizon program, thanks for the link to dr Briffa. I do think that most of the sugar I eat is mixed with fat as they showed so I thought it was a helpful perspective.

Lettucesnow Mon 03-Feb-14 17:20:27

I bought sweets at the theatre this weekend and after eating just a couple I gave the rest away saying please take them, i dont NEED any more!

They would have ALL been eaten suruptitiously normally.

RhondaJean Mon 03-Feb-14 17:24:10

Hey I think this is what I am doing! Except I call it clean eating.

Everything from scratch, no added sugars and no processed foods.

Some of the foods I am eating, wholemeal and spelt breads and pittas, brown rice etc, will turn partially into sugars but thats ok is it?

I have PCOS and can get into nasty sugar tailspins where I crave more and more so every so often I just need to stop the cycle.

SomewhatSilly Mon 03-Feb-14 17:32:40

Hi Rhonda, yes that sounds like what most of us are doing - the only common rule is that we're all avoiding the obvious sugars, but there are then quite a few further variations. Some are avoiding all refined carbs some wheat, some all grains etc.

Dosey Mon 03-Feb-14 21:48:34

Just checking in. It was a fast day for me which makes it much easier to avoid sugar. For my tea I had omelette and a pear which was lovely. But another day without craving sugar and its feeling good.

Hope tomorrow is as easy. I have packed up my lunch of couscous with veg with melted cheese and fruit for pudding, but also i am taking a packet of hula hoops. I feel slightly guilty about them but I have read the label and they are very low in sugar.

littlewhitebag Tue 04-Feb-14 06:13:07

Hello folks. Just checking in. I am doing okay and still avoiding sugary processed junk on the whole. I have had a nasty cough so from time to time feel the need to suck a mint or cough sweet just so I don't throw up when having a coughing bout. However I know this will pass.

I have been trying some different snacks. The Tesco wasabi peas were a massive fail. The coating on them is truly disgusting and tastes like poison. I have another pack of mixed beans and peas which I will try today.

I am not planning on giving up bread but have switched to whole meal varieties. I do like a sandwich for lunch. I have given up crisps though which has been hard but I think I will survive.

It would be nice to tell you all how much better I feel but unfortunately I seem to have had one virus after another since the start of January and I am getting very frustrated. I have cut down alcohol and eating healthily and am being much more active. It is very annoying to still be feeling crap.

Must stop rambling and get on with my day. Hope you all have a good, suger free day!

SomewhatSilly Tue 04-Feb-14 08:17:52

Little, have you got a good vitamin d3 supplement?

littlewhitebag Tue 04-Feb-14 09:42:56

somewhatsilly I tend not to take vitamins. What would vitamin d3 do for me?

I tend to believe that if i eat a balanced diet i will get all the vitamins and minerals i need. I eat a huge variety of fruit, veg, protein, dairy, whole grains, pulses etc.

I think the ongoing virus saga is more to do with my job. I am in and out of schools, hospitals, stuffy offices and peoples (often manky) houses.

IAmNotDarling Tue 04-Feb-14 09:46:40

Oooooh I want to join in but I'm completely addicted. I don't know how to start without becoming a raging mad person.

chocoluvva Tue 04-Feb-14 09:52:45

littlewhitebag Almost everyone in Britain and countries at similar latitudes are deficient in Vit d3 in the winter. We don't get enough sunlight.

waterlego Tue 04-Feb-14 09:55:45

Me too IamnotDarling. I have been eating too much sugar for a very long time. I'm not overweight but I do have epic mood swings, esp pre-menstrual, and I suspect cutting down on/eliminating sugar would help.

So far, I have stopped having honey in my tea. grin

But the thought of giving up the rest of my sugary treats gives me The Fear.

SomewhatSilly Tue 04-Feb-14 10:04:14

What about a food-based supplement? I take this one:
http://www.red23.co.uk/Blue-Ice-Fermented-Cod-Liver-Oil-Capsules_p_542.html

It's a bit old-school grin

Choccoluvva, off-topic but I meant to ask on the other thread if you had any good links about preserved meats? And do you make your own sausages at all, or do you avoid all together?

SomewhatSilly Tue 04-Feb-14 10:04:24
milk Tue 04-Feb-14 13:39:23

Day 1 of not eating sweets/chocolate/biscuits/cake. I did this already at the beginning of January but slipped at the end of the month when I was down and a jar of Nutella got to me sad

I've had a banana for breakfast. For lunch I had a humus sandwich on brown bread with sliced pickles and cherry tomatoes.

For tea I shall either have a pear or a kiwi.

For dinner I am having fried eggs and chips grin Not the healthiest dinner but I need a boost after having no sugar all day!

karatekimmi Tue 04-Feb-14 19:13:09

Hi all,

So day four of February and I haven't had a biscuit at work, I refused all offers and justifications of cookies when with my Family at the weekend. I am feeling a bit headachey but not too bad yet! I am really pleased with how well I am doing so far, but it is early days! And the biscuits are so prolific!!

I am trying to look at labels and be more aware of sugar in anything I am eating, but there I really need to be more aware of the different guises that sugar takes - I know anything with -ose isn't good, but I cant figure out what would be sugar on my Hovis 50/50 bread.

What is wrong with seed oils? I have been looking at the David Gilespie site and I am a bit confused about how bad they are.

I hope everyone is doing well.

HearMyRoar Tue 04-Feb-14 19:38:23

kimmi, the book 'fat chance, the bitter truth about sugar' by Robert lustig has a good list of all the different things to look out for in ingredients lists. Its quite a big list!

I'm still going, also cutting down on potatoes now as they make me really bloated. We have had loads of cakes and things in the office and I do feel a had smug listening to everyone else justify their cake eating while I waltz past not even looking. It really is so much easy when its not even an option to have any. smile

I'm planning on an sos on Friday though as it is our first date anniversary (we were together for ages before we got married so this feels more like our anniversary then our marriage one), and dh has booked a rather nice restaurant. I have decided that I want to allow myself the option of having pudding if I want one. It feels rather exciting and daring grin

SomewhatSilly Tue 04-Feb-14 20:48:18

I'm having a bit of an SOS moment right now!

Friend has made an amazing 'sugar free' cake with almonds, cocoa, date paste. Oh yum.

HearMyRoar Tue 04-Feb-14 21:00:21

Recipe! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now