Paul McKenna Can Make Us Thin! Thread Number 14 ~ A Simple Title, for Simple Weight Loss and All amongst Friends!!

(692 Posts)
Solo Fri 10-Jan-14 14:45:59

Welcome to thread 14 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded friendly support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition, it's about enjoying what you are putting into your mouth and body, but not feeling bloated and uncomfortable (or guilty) afterwards!
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we may have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!! Let's get lighter for those summer outfits!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry and that is a great way to feel when you are dropping dress sizes at the same time!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2014 your year to drop a dress size or several...if we can get those lbs off a few at a time, just think how we could look and feel for the sunny summer time!!!
Some of our thread members are also doing PMK's Virtual Gastric Band and although this thread is not about this avenue, we will still be supportive of our friends partaking of this, so don't think we won't be there for you. I'm pretty sure that the Golden Rules will be just as helpful in this process as the I Can Make You Thin process smile so get stuck in smile

Here is a link to Freedom From Emotional Eating which may give some insight into why we do this and help us beat it.

NoGoodAtWittyNames Sun 12-Jan-14 13:14:17

3 days is fab Jelly and at least you know where you went wrong so you won't make the same mistake again. I remember from all those cheesy management workshops I went on pre-kids, one of their favourite phrases was the "the definition of madness, is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". So think focussing on k

NoGoodAtWittyNames Sun 12-Jan-14 13:18:57

Sorry posted too soon... focussing on kicking the sweet tooth habit will be really good for you. I remember when I first joined this thread ppeat used to go on about how she couldn't stand cheap chocolate anymore and I used to think that'll never be me and now it is! Since really learning to taste my food, I don't like the too sweet, artificial taste of chocolate and can now easily and effortlessly ignore it, which considering what a chocoholic I used to be is an absolute miracle! So if I can do it, anyone can!

MillyRules Sun 12-Jan-14 14:16:36

Awwww......please to be of help Jelly and if im good as the voice on your shoulder then so be it smile. Your doing so well too when I look back at the last month, a couple of times you were on the verge of opting out and going on another diet but we all seemed to bring you back to sanity. It will work, it really will but these trial and error setbacks are part of relearning how to eat normally. We are so used to diets as women that they are part of who we are. When you get to our age (late forties early fifties) you look back with sadness that you have spent most if not all of your life on a diet. Being dictated to by the diet industry that the only way you can possibly lose weight is to go on a diet and pay all that money for someone to tell you HOW to not eat so much and give you fake food full of additives and rubbish to enable you to lose the weight. OMG it is seriously screwed isn't it??
Anyway,
WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW LADIES

yippeekiyay2 Sun 12-Jan-14 14:48:51

Thanks for the welcome all!
Faith - I am a massive Die Hard fan - one of my fave xmas films ;)
I am looking forward to not being under the pressure of constantly thinking 'shouldn't eat that' and then stuffing my face anyway and feeling guilty about it...went out for a meal today at lunch and dh still thinks I am doing WW and was thinking I shouldn't have this or that, but I had what I wanted and left loads on the plate which is a good sign I think.
I do worry I won't be able to do this - feel so used to eating when bored/tired/for treats etc that it will be hard to break the cycle - but I have to give it a proper try this year as I am soooo sick of the diet cycle!

MillyRules Sun 12-Jan-14 15:57:41

Oooooo Bruce Willis is so gorgeous. I love him!!

Jellybeans456 Sun 12-Jan-14 16:40:48

Hi WhitershadeofPale

We seemed to have missed you out. Sorry for that and Welcome. That sounds an awful work environment for you, where everyone is on a diet, talking diets, and looking disapproving at you for eating non diet food.

Well I think you should carry on eating the non diet food in front of them, whilst following PM's golden rules.

Could you imagine their faces whilst you're doing this and losing weight.

I would'nt even tell them you're following PM. It's your little secret. When they are nice enough, then you might let them in on it.

The best thing is, is that ' you're not on a diet anymore. You've broken the cycle'.

It's difficult to get rid of all the diet crap in your head from years of dieting, and being told what to eat and when, and this is all about unlearning all the rubbish we've picked up growing up.

NoGood- will remember that phrase. I like nice chocolate too, and my favs are Leonidas. Harrods do them.

Milly - yes you've all been brill and saved me a couple of times, from getting back onto the diet wagon. I'm in a good place now and happy.

Hi Yippee - I love that name, it sounds so happy and positive. I will change my name at some point, to a happy sounding one.

We went out for lunch today, and although I had'nt had breakfast, and was still not hungry by 1pm, I had something to eat, as worked out I was about no 4 on my hunger scale which is okay. Did want to go lower down the scale, but wanted the social element of eating with family.

Really enjoyed my meal, and ate my favourites first, which was onion in gravy, and cauliflower cheese. We had a carvery, and I always leave food at the end, when full. I don't load the plate up, and eat slowly. It was delicious and satisfying.

Will go without food now until at the hungry point on the scale. Easier as everyone has also eaten for the day, and just snack for dinner.

Jellybeans456 Sun 12-Jan-14 16:44:32

Sorry, that should read that the family will just have a snack for dinner, not me unless I'm hungry of course smile

MillyRules Sun 12-Jan-14 18:43:02

White Hi and Welcome.
Dieters often drag others in for company and camaraderieship. Makes them feel better. As Jelly says just keep doing your thing. If they are judgemental because of your size and feel that they are superior because they are dieting and feel you should too then they are not worth bothering about anyway. Shallow.
Stick with us on here and we will help you if you need it. smile

Hi, thanks a lot. I don't think they are doing it to be nasty I just think they're genuinely unhappy with themselves and can't imagine being any bigger and not attempting to do anything about it (although obviously I am just not by dieting). It would be lovely to be able to loose weight, not diet and then be able to tell them how and free them from the awful cycle they're in now (if they want to of course).

I've wasted so much of my life stressing about food. The mad thing is that already in this first week knowing that I can eat whatever I want has freed me from eating it all the time. Before I used to polish food off to get rid of it before I started 'being good' the next day. Madness!

I also find that now I'm really focussing on what I'm eating, stuff I thought I loved is actually not that great. I had mcdonalds chips and they were greasy and overly salty with no real taste. I ended up leaving half of them.

MillyRules Sun 12-Jan-14 19:00:07

No, Im sure they are not nasty, just maybe being judgemental which is a natural thing to do especially when you believe in something enough. smile

MillyRules Sun 12-Jan-14 19:02:51

I know what you mean. I love my Big Mac but only eat half to three quarters of it. Same with the chips. But that's because I have eaten enough of each item to feel satisfied with the taste and my hunger levels have gone enough to stop. I have all the foods I love in my house and the foods my family love. That way no one ever feels the need to overeat because the food is always there. This is how I brought my kids up too and they are both slim and have no issue with food unlike the way I was brought up.

I was brought up in with an abusive father and my mum compensated by treating us with food when he wasn't around. My nan was the same and I guess I learnt to treat myself with food and that I 'deserved' treats when life through me a shitty hand.

Jellybeans456 Sun 12-Jan-14 20:45:05

It is now 8.40pm, going to bed soon, and I am still not hungry. It is amazing that the body can go so long without feeling hunger. I last ate at 1pm.

I have had a few coffees, teas and a hot chocolate drink though. I think these have been filling me up.

Does Anyone else have long periods before they are hungry?

MillyRules Sun 12-Jan-14 21:06:17

I can go from up to sixteen hours (including sleep) without eating. I tend to not eat in the mornings till about two anyway.

Jellybeans456 Sun 12-Jan-14 22:10:32

I'm glad this is quite normal then Milly. I think there must be tons of stored fat in my tum stopping the hunger feeling.

not gone to bed yet, as still up reading. I've really got to recommend this book by Geenan Roth that I am currently reading. its called breaking free from emotional eating. I got it off eBay. It covers all that we are doing, and is answering so many things for me.

has anyone else read it? smile smile

Solo Sun 12-Jan-14 23:26:38

Hello all smile and welcome new ladies!!

Everybody is sounding so much more positive! I'm really proud of your attitudes! they are really shining through smile well done!! really well done!

Crap day for me today. Started again as of 90 minutes ago though!

No, I have never read any of his books and I think I have them all (except the smoking one as I don't!). I have ME and my concentration is rubbish, so reading can be difficult. I will read them at some point though, I promise!

My children are 15 and just turned 7. I gained 4.7st with Ds, but was back to work in 17 weeks and lost it all quite quickly. With Dd, I had an overactive thyroid so lost weight whilst pg and only gained 7lbs in total once I'd been dx'd and put on meds for it. After I'd had her, I was lucky enough to return to my size 12 within a week. It's been all the crap after having her that has pushed me into comfort eating, plus I can't exercise properly (ME) anymore. So, I'd be really happy to lose a further 35lbs and I want to do it fairly soon so that I'm not fat n fifty!

For me, I was just overfed as a child, but was very active and tall, so I never looked fat. My Ds never stops eating and is like a bean pole! he is 6'5" tall and skin and bone! Dd is very tall too and beautifully slim. She eats like I used to as an adult which was very slowly, but unlike the old me, she stops when she's full. I truly hope that they both stay slim. My Mum always made my Db and I sit at the table until our plates were clear! we ate far too much and I won't inflict that on my Dc's. Eating too much becomes a habit ~ and not a good one!

MillyRules Mon 13-Jan-14 00:32:57

Hi Solo your kids sound lovely and no food hangups.....well done to you!!!!
Im still doing well and eating very consciously indeed. I seem to be only eating now when im actually hungry and then only just enough to take the edge off. I am so determined this year that I will get to my goal and have already lost half a stone since Christmas Day and my clothes are much looser.

TheDoctrineOf2014 Mon 13-Jan-14 00:57:58

Hello all, has anyone else got the app?

Solo Mon 13-Jan-14 00:58:27

Excellent news Rules well done! smile

MillyRules Mon 13-Jan-14 02:00:17

TheDoctrine I havnt used the app but then I don't have an i phone. I just listen to the CDs and read the books. I think some of the other ladies have the app though.

Jellybeans456 Mon 13-Jan-14 07:16:03

Hi Doc

I've got the app, and it's worth the money. loads on it with the trance and lots of self help videos regarding tapping, craving busters etc. well worth having as a tool in the box so as to speak.
solo- That sounds like a nightmare as a child having to eat until your plate was clear. could you imagine someone doing that to you as an adult.

another snippet from my book: the author started this woe in Nov of some year, and initially gained 15 lbs until her weight stabilised 6 months later. She then started to lose weight. Over the next two years she lost 30 lbs.

also when she started she chose to eat choc chip cookies and cookie dough for the first two weeks for her meals. They were the foods that she had deprived herself from and what she wanted.
After those 2 weeks she hated choc chip cookies, and started craving veg. She still went through phases of ice cream, pizza etc, and although she wasn't aware of it at the time, they were the foods she had deprived herself of through the years.

reading this makes me feel better, and shows me that the stages I am going through is quite normal.

woke up feeling hungry. can't wait to eat some thing delicious. what shall I have? I can have anything I wishgrin grin

Jellybeans456 Mon 13-Jan-14 07:32:05

Just thinking about when I was a child now. I grew up feeling hunger. There were a lot of times in my household that we felt hungry, as there wasn't enough money to buy food. I can remember sometimes looking in the cupboards and there was nothing to eat. There was usually a bag of flour, and my mum would mix this with water, make a dough and fry this. on the other hand when there was enough food, I can always remember my mother nagging me to eat, especially when older. or making me food even if I didn't want it. There was never sweets, biscuits or cakes in the house, purely because we could not afford it.
wonder if all this is related to my eating.sad sad

MardyBra Mon 13-Jan-14 14:15:57

<slinks back to the thread after about a year of absence>

Hello everyone - old and new. <Mwah>
Have got me copy of Emotional Eating, just done my first havening session (am extremely sceptical) and am about to eat a very slow meal. Will be back to catch up on the thread later, but wanted to mark my place, so it would crop up on TIO and keep nudging me.

MillyRules Mon 13-Jan-14 15:02:58

Jelly when was this book written. It seems to contain the same information as the Overcoming Overeating I read in the early nineties. When I first read my book it was a very different approach to eating and since then there seems to be many books on the subject. smile

MillyRules Mon 13-Jan-14 15:09:59

Hi Mardy welcome back grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now