Sugar Addicts' Recovery Plan

(41 Posts)
BerylsDailyKumquat Tue 17-Dec-13 16:37:14

Has anyone else read and followed Your Last Diet - Recovery Programme for Sugar Addicts? I'm just reading it now, and have started the first 2 steps of the plan. Obviously I'm not going to attempt to give up sugar at Christmas, but the early steps don't require you to be too drastic, so I'm reading the book and making a start.

It seems very do-able, and as I've decided I need to drastically reduce my sugar habit, it seems like a good place to start. Then I will move onto the next step after Christmas is done and dusted.

I thought I'd post my progress here to keep me on track. Any other sugar addicts out there??

BerylsDailyKumquat Mon 20-Jan-14 22:04:36

Well, predictably, I failed dismally at my cold turkey approach - I really don't know why I do it to myself! So as of tomorrow I'm re-starting Step 1 with a good protein rich breakfast.

Rollermum I'm going to continue with my journal at the same time as starting Step 1, I can't see how it can hurt. I'm still booze-free though, and haven't missed the wine at all, so that's a positive.

Rollermum Wed 15-Jan-14 12:58:30

Thanks Peekska. I will. I've been putting it off partly because I'm not sure I'm getting enough protein but I think it would help with that.

Did you find journaling helpful, and do you still do it?

Peekska Wed 15-Jan-14 08:33:56

Rollermum, if you want to start journaling, give it a go. I first discovered this over 10 years ago. Back then journaling WAS the first step. It was changed to Step 2 simply because she found that until people had a good strong breakfast in place they were struggling with journaling.

Rollermum Sun 12-Jan-14 19:40:01

Hello all - how are you getting on?

I love scrambled eggs for breakfast Professor but couldn't eat salmon in the am!

I am ok with step one, but feeling demotivated by the slow approach overall. Am wondering whether to start journaling rather than wait a month. I have always eaten breakfast and often with protein so think it'll be fine.

ProfessorDent Thu 02-Jan-14 17:22:31

I have found that lush scrambled eggs (made with cream and butter, 2 eggs) and smoked salmon for brekkie can see you through the day very well, it's all high protein, no sugar and the fat is healthy and satisfying, it's not just for Christmas, I'd say...

BerylsDailyKumquat Thu 02-Jan-14 11:56:13

Oh I've re-discovered the other sugar thread now!

I've also given up my daily glass of Pepsi Max too, I think it'll be better to cut out all very sweet flavours, and I know it's full of horrible stuff anyway. I've been wanting to cut it out for a while.

BerylsDailyKumquat Thu 02-Jan-14 10:19:12

Interestingly I can't stand red wine, and only ever drink sweet white wine or sugary cocktails (and very occasionally cider) so I'm clearly drawn to the sweet drinks. I've decided to give up drinking at least for January anyway, maybe longer-term. It's the drinking at home I really want to stop - I have 1 or 2 large glasses on a Friday and Saturday, and sometimes a glass midweek too. I don't have nights out all that often, so if I give up the wine at home I'd have a couple of drinks on my occasional nights out instead.

I've also had no added sugar or sugary foods since NYE, I'm giving sugar-free a go, but still eating carbs and fruit. I'm concentrating on eating good, healthy meals and cutting out all snacks on sweet stuff. Feeling fine so far, didn't want any yesterday, hoping my newfound resolve remains...

I ordered a copy of The Sweet Poison Quit Plan ages ago and it finally arrived today, so I'm looking forward to having a read of that later too.

Any other sugar giver-uppers out there..??!

ProfessorDent Tue 31-Dec-13 15:06:05

That's it, mind you I have started to think it's not so much the alcohol in wine that draws you back, but the sugar. BTW I think that is why a good red is better than white, as they say it has healthier properties, not so sugary.

BerylsDailyKumquat Mon 30-Dec-13 15:13:31

Thanks Peeksa I think it's really all too easy to try and rush the steps, and the temptation is there to just launch into trying cold turkey, but I know that wouldn't work for me. Good to hear from someone who has completed the steps successfully.

ProfessorDent I know what you mean, the more I have, the more I want. I'm a bit like that with wine too, I can quite happily go all week without even wanting a drink, but if I have one on a friday night, I want one the next night too.

ProfessorDent Mon 30-Dec-13 14:41:16

I ate one of those nice Lindt Chocolate Santas yesterday. Actually, it tasted a bit off. Anyway, today I 'needed' those chocolate eclairs from Sainsbury's only £1. To eat sugar is to be enslaved to sugar. It's like that quote about alcohol 'First you take a drink, then the drink takes you.'

Peekska Mon 30-Dec-13 13:16:17

Hi kumquat just back to your thread and realise my first post came over as a bit bossy. I was using my phone and rushing, so it was a bit terse.
I had said about going slowly on the steps because she used to say that breakfast was the foundation of the plan, which I found to be true as it took me 3 attempts to get it right. It was only the on the third try, when I was eating breakfast with enough protein every single day that everything else started to come together on the plan.
It took me about two months to get there, but I knew I'd done it when my protein breakfast was as natural a habit as brushing my teeth.

Anyway, just wanted to wish you luck. This is a great plan for those who've already tried and failed to go cold turkey, especially becauase the books explain WHY it's so hard for some people. I'm glad you're already feeling better. I can honestly say that the PNP book changed my life.

BerylsDailyKumquat Mon 30-Dec-13 12:05:07

Have just been looking at the Radiant Recovery Facebook page & someone asked how long each step should take. She answered that Step 1 maybe a month, Step 2 is on-going, and Step 3 usually about 6 months!

BerylsDailyKumquat Mon 30-Dec-13 10:55:42

In the book she says to stay with a step until you're comfortably doing it every day, so however long that takes.

Had a bit of a wobble yesterday - I started thinking about leaping straight into a sugar detox (spurred on by the other sugar thread on here and also a book I'm reading which suggests a 21 day total sugar detox). But even the thought of it made me feel panicky and after not needing any sugar all day I finished off a box of mint Matchmakers!! The gradual approach is definitely the way for me blush

Hope you find the book useful Hedgepig, I'm sure you will. I've noticed that she's swapped the steps round a bit in her later book I was reading (Your Last Diet), so I've got my copy of PNP back out and am going to stick with that. It has more emphasis on getting balanced, rather than weight loss, and so is more relevant to me.

So according to PNP, I'm on step 3 - which is 3 meals a day at regular intervals (along with completing a food journal and taking daily vitamins). I've had porridge and fruit this morning, and am planning a tuna and salad sandwich for lunch. I'm already feeling happier and more positive after just a couple of days of regular meals.

Hedgepig Sun 29-Dec-13 20:54:22

Hello I've just ordered the book should be here on Tuesday . I lost 3 3/4 st on SW a couple of years ago but the weight is just creeping back on purely down to my biscuit scoffing. I'm looking for a eating plan I can integrate into the rest of my life so this may be the way forward .

Rollermum Sun 29-Dec-13 20:26:17

Hey Beryl, yeah I wondered about combining the two. Need to consider it a bit more and talk to DH because was going to do SW with him. Pretty sure he isn't sugar sensitive.

If I do go with PNP I'll start from the start with breakfast. Also as I'm BF I would add some snacks as she recommends that.

How long do / did / will people spend on each stage of PNP?

BerylsDailyKumquat Sun 29-Dec-13 16:28:22

Maybe try 3 healthy meals a day, no snacks, to start with? That's what I've done today, and it's helped me break the cycle of snacking on sweet stuff, which then means I'm not hungry for a proper meal. I've just put the roast in the oven and am looking forward to a lovely evening meal. I think Kathleen's plan works because it isn't anything too drastic all in one go. Although you could of course follow SW but still exclude sugar?

Rollermum Sun 29-Dec-13 15:57:31

Yes, really positive to see successes!

I am dithering between this and SW. I have the SW book etc but I feel deep down I will probably drive myself nuts obsessing over syns. The PNP book describes me so well and is making me realise why Atkins worked so well in terms of weightloss but made me depressed.

How eve I am reluctant to let go of 'everything' in moderation. But SW limits fat which I just know is not current weightloss thinking.

Am driving myself mad vacillating as usual!!

BerylsDailyKumquat Mon 23-Dec-13 18:39:37

Thanks FourArms and cigar, it's really good to hear about the benefits you experienced. I've always failed with cold turkey in the past, and so am finding this method much more positive and encouraging.

FourArms Mon 23-Dec-13 13:26:54

I went cold turkey on sugar 3 weeks ago, although I had been on SW for a few months so I had cut down already.

I had about 4 bad days, but now feel amazing. Sat at a carol concert last night in front of a table of Christmas snacks. Didn't feel at all tempted. It just doesn't feel an option now. smile

My moods are much more stable and I no longer feel hungry in between meals (I've had maybe 5 snacks between meals in 3 weeks and they've been on days which I haven't planned well or had to eat late or early for some reason). I'm also eating a lot more fat, but losing weight (just shy of 9lbs in 3 weeks).

Good luck to everyone quitting or requitting over the next few weeks smile

Quitting sugar is really hard but only for the first few weeks, i found, and then it became second nature to me. I highly recommend it and think it has helped me a great deal in my daily life plus i know its having long term benefits as well. I managed to quit having sugar and had been off it including no fruit juice for around ten months until last week when I decided to have sugar again over the holidays until Boxing Day and then stop again.

When I wasn't having sugar I noticed that my moods were more stable and also I wasn't constantly hungry and craving snacks. I lost a bit of weight but the weight loss wasn't dramatic and its hard to say how much of it was down to not having sugar. Oh, and I did still eat fruit and a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate a day. As a very rare treat I would melt the chocolate over a banana and that was delicious!

I started on sugar again by having mixed drinks with fruit juice and then graduated on to mince pies, a cupcake and a bit of chocolate Yule log so far. I have noticed a big difference in terms of mood swings and also feeling incredibly, crushingly tired. The fatigue is just the worst and particularly in the morning it's tough to motivate myself at the moment. Luckily I've finished work until after Christmas but I wouldn't like to be dealing with this fatigue and also working.

Also everything (except the juice) tastes just overly sickly sweet to me and I'm not getting as much pleasure out of it as I used to. I think it will actually be quite easy to stop eating sugary things again. I will struggle a bit more to not have cocktails with fruit juice but I think if I switch to wine I should be able to do it without too much bother.

Well, sorry to go on about it but just wanted to describe my experiences and wish you luck those who are going to do this. Please wish me luck quitting again too grin.

BerylsDailyKumquat Mon 23-Dec-13 09:33:17

Yes ProfessorDent I'm now much more aware of the things that I eat and how much sugar they contain, it's everywhere!!

BerylsDailyKumquat Mon 23-Dec-13 09:28:15

I don't feel I'm rushing the steps - I'll be on this step for a while I expect, it'll take me some time to get used to having 3 meals and no snacks. I'm still on with the journal. I'm making an effort to include more protein with my meals, but I'm not drastically changing the sorts of food that I'm eating. Obviously things will be a bit hit and miss over this week, with a lack of normal routine, and visiting people etc, but I'll keep aimimg for my 3 meals.

ProfessorDent Sun 22-Dec-13 15:10:18

I am a sugar addict. I began to kick it when I had high protein Full English breakfasts. It kickstarts your metabolism and if you have a cheese and ham toastie around noon or 1pm you can stave off sugar 'boosters'.

I also take Chronium Piccilinoate (sp?) from Solgar, 500g. It regulates blood sugar levels.

These tips are interesting. I read in Briffa's Waist Disposal book that sugar in drinks like Coke, also in ice cream, is worst because being liquid it gets into your blood stream well fast and effs up your insulin levels big time. If you have to have sugar have it after eating something else, it won't effect them so much. Of course, by sugar we really mean any chocolate/confectionary like Whispa Bar, Yorkie Bar, Twix, Cadbury's Dairy, Galaxy, Flake, Milky Bar, Giant Chocolate Buttons, goodness you can go from one thing to another thinking, hey, the taste and texture of this is great! But of course, really it's the sugar that reels you in, the rest is just incidental.

Peekska Sun 22-Dec-13 12:07:29

Kumquat, try not to rush through the steps.
DesMaisons' advice is that it's vital not to rush each step. And that each step needs to be firmly in place before you move onto the next one.
There's some fairly interesting reading on her website. I used to be member of a couple of the email lists and on her forum, but didn't find them terribly helpful.

timidviper Sat 21-Dec-13 17:21:22

I started doing the bootcamp eating on here about 15 months ago and hadn't realised how addicted to sugar I was until I changed the way I ate. What you are doing sounds similar.

I had dieted on and off for years, tried WW, SW and many others, yet got fatter and fatter overall. It was only after I went low carb that I realised how much sugar and sweetener I was eating in fruit and low fat products while thinking I was eating healthily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now