Disordered eating

(152 Posts)
goodasitgets Sat 07-Dec-13 18:14:24

This may seem like a stupid question but if I post what I have eaten today, could you tell me if it seems a lot?
I have been low carb for a long ish time but am eating carbs for a few days - today was not a good food day
Have a history of disordered eating and feeling like I should punish myself for eating too much

Sorry to hear you've been sad.
Hope things improve soon brew

goodasitgets Thu 19-Dec-13 00:44:24

I feel ok actually. Had a protein shake later - my fallback when I'm struggling to eat
Drank loads more water which is something I've wanted to do for a while. Not hungry. Headache this morning (I was upset and crying last night which I think caused it)
I have some cold roast chicken so thinking I might make that into sandwiches for work tomorrow

^ that is not v much?
How you feeling?
I will post mine:
Greek ff yog and berries 8am
Sushi tuna box 11am
2 chicken drumsticks 1pm
Sushi salmon box 5pm
Roast chicken and spinach/avocado salad 8pm
2 glasses dry white

More than I usually eat, and food was eaten more frequently than usual but was hungry.
Yesterday was not v hungry and came in about 1600 calories plus did 1hr dance class in evening so woke up needing food.

goodasitgets Wed 18-Dec-13 13:25:37

Today

B - beans and cheese on toast, cup of tea
Snack - cup of tea
Lunch - about 1/4 tub fresh bean soup and a banana
Snack - oops. Mince pie, dairy milk, cup of tea

Mary2010xx Tue 17-Dec-13 17:47:13

Trucks, sounds the right sort of weight - about 9 stone looks great for most women unless they are very tall.

Today I have had 3 egg yolks and 4 slices of fired bacon - breakfast.
Late lunch of apiece of salmon and tin of smoked oysters with courgettes and peppers with spinach with butter on the side and then some cheese. I think I do eat more than most women but I each pretty good foods, no alcohol, no drink and more importantly high animal fat, medium protein and low carb/ almost paleo/primal seems to make me feel very happy and virtually never get ill so it must be working.

goodasitgets Tue 17-Dec-13 17:25:50

I just made a good food choice grin

Breakfast - seeded toast and marmite
Lunch - (I know, I know) 3 tablespoons ish of soup, chunk cheese and handful cashews
Just now - tin tuna, spring onions and mayo on corn cakes (yum)

goodasitgets Tue 17-Dec-13 16:18:18

Done a bit of both but mainly static pole
Hard to see in photo but I have hold of left foot with left hand.. I think next thing is letting go!

Wow look at you! You taking it all on your arms or going into a hook hang?
Do you use static or spinning pole? I learned on static but am now trying spinning: having to relearn all my moves!

Got class tonight: routine to Santa Baby. The dancing is the best bit for me - love the training and strength work but its great to just dance together and jam a bit.

goodasitgets Tue 17-Dec-13 14:57:02
goodasitgets Tue 17-Dec-13 14:53:30

I was struggling sticking to it - I think I just went off food totally so I stopped eating hmm
Came off it to try and get some appetite back
Just signed up for a free metafit course and a free PT session blush oops

Hate eating noises too, even my own. Other people chewing makes me want to run out the room.
Hate eating in silence.
Sympathies on lack of sleep.
Can I ask, if you are/were happy low carb, why you're not doing it at the mo?

goodasitgets Tue 17-Dec-13 11:21:34

I'm not convinced yet grin
Feeling murderous today after no sleep, and someone eating cup a soup in the office - it stinks
Am funny about stuff like that, hate eating noises, hate people watching me eat

goodas it sounds like you are making some great choices after the slight flip out with cakes etc in the initial couple of days when you followed the ' whatever I want' approach smile. Don't you think it's weird how, when we stop seeing food as good or bad, allowed or banned, that we stop wanting the 'bad' stuff quite as much and feel we want the 'good' stuff more, given free choice?

goodasitgets Tue 17-Dec-13 09:11:01

I had two pieces of seeded toast and marmite for breakfast
Brought fresh mushroom soup for lunch, chunk of cheese, cashew nuts and a banana
Will have a protein shake later as at pole and can't eat until 9pm

Trucks you look amazing. I understand why you don't want to get any leaner though. I am 40 and when my bf was about the same as yours I started to feel like my face looked gaunt and older, so as you age there's a trade off!

Avoiding bread, processed food and sugar (note the term avoiding, not treating like it will kill you at 20ft wink) is definitely not disordered eating, it's sensible grin - they don't have much to offer anyone nutritionally compared to many other foods. You can feel the difference Trucks, you know what not eating them has done not just for your figure but your energy, mood and health. So don't worry what anyone else says. Having said that, those foods can offer us pleasure, which is also important, so if you really want a cake or a piece of toast occasionally, then you should have one. Personally I can take or leave pasta, rice potatoes, cake etc, but I miss bread too much if I try not to eat it...and so most days I have one or two slices of granary bread and no other processed carbs.

Trucks I would really try to stop skipping meals. Have a protein shake made with milk (almond or coconut milk is nice) a banana and some nut butter for breakfast if you are going to work out. Also try and keep snacks handy to grab when you need/want them...avocados, little tin of tuna in oil, bananas, nuts, hard boiled egg, chopped raw veg and houmous, cheese, Greek yog and berries, oatcakes and peanut butter, roast chicken breast. Up your carbs and calorie intake a bit.

Re your period, I would't stress too much about anything you have done being the cause. It's true that 5:2 can cause chaos with women's hormones (as can severe calorie restriction) but it doesn't sound like you did it for a sustained time. Also with body fat, it's more around 14% and below that periods are usually affected. It's much more likely that your cycle is getting a bit more erratic due to age, many women find this happens post-40, sort of a pre-cursor to peri-menopause...depressing I know. It doesn't necessarily mean you can't get pg though as I'm sure many mums will attest grin

goodasitgets Tue 17-Dec-13 07:39:02

I think you look fab, not too thin

Just uploaded pic.
Too thin? I've lost track of what is reasonable: too much hanging round with dancers and triathletes/fitness fiends.

Sorry that was a bit epic.
I also want to say: it's worlds away from when I ate not-low carb, when wheat featured in most meals. I was always tired, hungry, ratty.

I would say that way of eating was actually disordered: my blood sugar felt all over the place. I was carrying extra 2 stone, mostly round tummy and felt very tired and never satisfied even after lots of food.

Now food is just food. Very liberating!
But people think - even I think sometimes - that not eating bread and processed and sugar is disordered.
It's a fine line between super tough 'I eat meat fish veg dairy nuts fruit' and 'ok I will eat a sandwich to look normal/save time/fit in' - I think I'm struggling with moderation. Low carb which means losing weight is safe ground. I don't know how to balance it.

This month my period never came. That worries me.

Interesting question. I'm 42, almost 5'7 and weigh 125lb - just under 9 stone. I started at 157lb in July and my goal was 10 stone - a weight I hadn't been since my late 20s. I did low carb, 5:2 and Shred. I found 5:2 fast days made me unhappy and stressed (am breast feeding) and the idea of 5:2 is you eat what you want 5x week but stay under 500 cals 2 x weekly.

The upsides were I learned to tube in to what real hunger felt like, and found I could exercise when fasting which rips through visceral abdominal fat like nothing else. The downsides were I felt unwell and obsessed with food.

I started looking more at paleo/ primal and research on fasting. I found that women often do better on shorter fasts - 14 hours, not longer but still gain benefits from resting the digestive system and tuning into body signals. I didn't want to disrupt my hormonal balance and so I experimented with 16:8 - basically starting to eat late morning and avoiding breakfast which is often wheat-y/carb/ baked goods/cereal based offerings. Instead I embraced work outs then brunch.

Maybe a few nuts or yog/berries or coconut oil and coffee before a heavy work out.

It worked well for me and I lost a lot of body fat. I'm now very lean and ripped - measured with callipers by a pro my body fat was 17 percent.

I don't want to go lower and risk early menopause.
I don't have time to eat slowly as am SAHM to autistic toddler. Food is eaten fast whilst doing other things and prepared fast. That is a regret but it's how life is

I am on the go all day. My hours exercise when I'm in my body without my brain whirring is my release. Food is pleasant fuel. I find it easier to be disciplined and say: I don't eat refined, or bread, or sugar than to moderate. I sometimes treat myself to sushi, or flatbread with a meal. Once in a blue moon a piece of dark choc or cherry dipped in dark choc. If I'm rushed I eat ultra low carb: ham and cheese and chicken and spinach. (I'm often rushed and will come in at 30g carbs)

I drink dry white wine most nights.
I am still getting used to my new body.
I look like a dancer now.
It still surprises me.
I don't want to go back but I'd like more time to enjoy my food.
Today I had: scrambled eggs in a wrap, pole class
No lunch. 2 drumsticks, a carrot, and broccoli with butter.
Lobster tails with spinach salad (live in Caribbean: it's cheap lobster season)

Not enough veg basically.
Not enough time!

goodas I'm thinking about what you said about shovelling food in when you watch TV but not when you properly concentrate on the food...just to reiterate, the reason I suggested the no-diet diet and mindful eating was to try and get you listening to your body and eating as you need to. This takes lots of practice for most of us and I think you have to battle the voice in your head telling you to restrict food - or the voice telling you you need to eat more...and get better at tuning into how you feel. This is the same reason I asked Trucks the questions I just did - if you can listen to and provide your body with the nutrition it needs then you will find your healthy weight, which may be more or less than you think it should be but will be right and comfortable for you.

goodasitgets Mon 16-Dec-13 22:22:19

Will see how it goes! Am at pole tomorrow and Thurs then riding Friday before a weekend off

Sounds good goodas!

Trucks your diet sounds great - if you don't mind me asking, why do you want to stabilise your weight now? Do you feel satifisfied, healthy and energised eating as you described? Any health, energy, mood or bingeing problems?

Ooh nice! That sounds delicious and nourishing!

goodasitgets Mon 16-Dec-13 18:16:59

Well I've been and got food - kind of a mix of stuff!
Fresh soups for lunches at work, and seeded bread/corn cakes to have with tuna or egg
Raspberries to have with ff Greek yog
Roast chicken off the hot counter and some trays of roasted veg/cauli cheese
Cake. Because it looked nice grin and I don't tend to binge on that
Popcorn, cashew nuts for snacks

goodasitgets Mon 16-Dec-13 15:28:36

I know I need to eat more, it's definitely a problem. I find (and yes it's bad!) eating in front of the tv actually helps as I sort of shovel food in. If I look at what I'm eating, I eat a lot less

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now