Stuck in a wobbly rut...HELP ME!

(8 Posts)
Anomaly Wed 04-Dec-13 22:45:50

I know exactly what you mean about not being in the zone. I lost weight earlier this year dieting and have since regained it. Like others have said diets don't actually work.

I've decided to eat what I would consider normally. So I have a normal breakfast, normal lunch and normal dinner. So for me that might be porridge, beans on toast and then spaghetti bolognese. I even allow myself a pudding and usually have a treat sized bit of chocolate each evening. As I do want to lose weight I'm watching my portion size. But my main aim is to escape the cycle of wanting bad stuff - I mean an entire packet of biscuits or a large bar of chocolate.

I know I have an unhealthy relationship with certain foods and this is an attempt to effectively redefine that relationship. It's not a quick fix - I've lost maybe half a stone in a few weeks. But I see it as how I eat rather than a diet.

bbb123 Tue 03-Dec-13 23:30:11

I don't know anything about slimming world, but I sometimes think that going on a diet is very restrictive. Even if you're not starving all the time, you get sick of it after a while.

I was really overweight (actually obese) a few years ago and saw a nutritionist. She told me the best thing to do is to eat every 3 hours. Have smaller, healthy means, and then small snacks like yoghurt/nuts/fruit in between, as it keeps your blood sugar at a constant level. Of course, you have to throw out the Jaffa cakes (sad I know sad) and try to opt for healthier things..fewer carbs, more protein, veggies and fruit.

I lost over 10 kg in 6 months by doing this. Overall I've lost 15 and am close to a normal weight now.

Good luck!!

MillyRules Tue 03-Dec-13 23:05:35

I agree Paul but I don't consider anything a treat. I have anything I want went I want it provided im hungry. But it is a brilliant CD. The hypnosis really makes a difference but you can do it just by following the 4 golden rules.

This book has most definitely changed my life. I don't diet ever.

PaulSmenis Tue 03-Dec-13 21:54:03

That Paul McKenna CD and book is really good. I used that when I changed my eating. I still have treats at the weekend, or at that time of the month. I Can Make You Thin is bloody brilliant.

MillyRules Tue 03-Dec-13 21:42:40

I stopped dieting years ago as diets do not work. Most people start a diet full of good intentions with the excitement that "this one will work". But, most people regain the weight and cant stop eating Diets just create disordered eating . The book that helped to sort out my disordered view of eating was Overcoming Overeating by Jane Hirshman. I followed the book and stocked my kitchen with all the foods I love. Chocolate, crisps, cake, good icecream as well as the usual fruit and veg, nuts and meat. Having all those foods and relearning how to eat like a normal slim person took time but eventually I viewed all food as normal. Not good or bad, healthy or unhealthy......just food. I wanted to lose a little more weight last year so joined the Paul McKenna I can make you thin thread. We don't diet, we just eat what we want but only eat when truly hungry and stop as soon as we feel satisfied. No diet. No banned food. Body led eating. smile

PaulSmenis Tue 03-Dec-13 21:31:28

ishouldcocoa is full of good ideas.

Could you try eating low GI foods, upping protein, eating more veg and cutting out refined carbs? I lost a couple of stone doing this.

ishouldcocoa Tue 03-Dec-13 15:27:18

I think that when you reach the 'Jaffa cake packet a day' situation, you need to take a deep breath and pause....

Get yourself OFF eating the high sugar stuff as soon as you can. It messes with your blood sugar, and before you know it, it'll be two packets a day. I've been there...

Find some oatcakes or high fibre brown bread and have a piece of ham and a tomato with them. Have a plain yoghurt with stevia in it and some berries. Get off the merry go round of blood sugar peaks and troughs.

You know what to do to lose the weight as you've done it already. I have read this book recently, which has given me a very different view of my eating habits - its worth a read...

Book

It hasn't changed my life (sadly) but its made me sit up and think about my whole eating issue.

YeahButWhatIf Tue 03-Dec-13 14:57:21

I need help. I started Slimming World in Jan and did really well. I lost almost two stone and got down to 9st 13lbs and was almost a size 10. But since March I've put on a stone and I feel horrid now. I eat a packet of Jaffa cakes a day and anything else I can lay my hands on. I really don't know what is wrong with me and I am terrified I will get big. I want to lose this stone but I just feel so low and not 'in the zone'. I could really use some encouragement/tips if you can help?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now