Need to loose a lot of weight fast

(25 Posts)
EatingAllTheCrumpets Sun 01-Dec-13 17:35:52

Ok so I need to drop 5 stone fast, I've been doing 5:2 for 2 weeks and am only losing 2lb a week. It's not fast enough.

I was thinking of switching the 5:2 to 2:5 so fasting Monday - Friday and eating more normally at the weekend, would this sound feasible?
I really need to losing a stone a month if not more but I'm at a loss at how to do it. I can't do a juicing diet as I have really sensitive teeth and when I've done it before it's made my teeth unbearable with pain.

Is slim fast any good or would that still be a slow weight loss?

Any advise would be appreciated

RedLondonBus Sun 01-Dec-13 17:38:11

fasting will result in little loss.....your body will hang on to fat

I'd suggest clean eating (google it) along with exercise and drinking 2 litres of water daily

I know this works grin

RedLondonBus Sun 01-Dec-13 17:38:53

and slimfast is a bad idea its a chemical milkshake

CharlesRyder Sun 01-Dec-13 17:53:08

Lighter Life Total. Expensive but you will get group support and a well thought through plan that has been around for a long time now and worked for lots of people.

EatingAllTheCrumpets Sun 01-Dec-13 17:54:17

Can't do much exercise as I have back and knee problems, however I have been doing 30 mins of gentle-ish workout 4 times a week, Pilates, couch to 5k etc.

I know its chemicals but happy to try anything that will shift the weight in a few months! Clean eating looks do-able, what sort of loss per week can I expect? Some of the recipes look very nice grin

clarinetV2 Sun 01-Dec-13 17:55:04

Why do you need to lose so quickly? 5 stone is a lot of weight, and the only safe and sustainable way to lose that much is slowly. Are there health-related reasons you need to lose quickly? If so, you could ask your doctor what they recommend. If the reason for wanting to lose fast isn't health-related, you might want to think again. A 2:5 diet fast would leave your body starved of the nutrients it needs, and either you'd find yourself unable to sustain it, or if you managed to, your body would go into starvation mode and 'horde' its reserves of fat, so you'd stop losing and then put it all back on again when you started eating more normally.

2lb a week is a good, safe amount to lose if you're in this for the long haul. You are doing well if you're managing that.

RedLondonBus Sun 01-Dec-13 17:56:01

3-4 pounds a week. you could also try 'my fitness pal'

RedLondonBus Sun 01-Dec-13 17:57:07

I've lost 5 stone this year through clean eating/low carbing and exercise. I did some juicing too.

summerbreezer Sun 01-Dec-13 17:57:16

Would second Lighter Life Total. I have six stone to lose - have lost three stone in 2.5 months. Receiving great education/counselling to avoid putting it back on too.

Rollermum Sun 01-Dec-13 18:02:55

I agree with Clarinet that slow weight loss is generally more sustainable.

But if determined take a look at Atkins induction but read the book and make sure you do it right. Is fast and can be healthy if you focus on veg and not faux low carb replacement stuff. Also can up the carbs over time.

summerbreezer Sun 01-Dec-13 18:06:07

The slower weight loss = less likely to put back on thing is a bit of a dieting myth.

I lost a lot of weight once at 2lbs at a time (if not less). I put it all back on, because once I was off the diet I went back to my old eating patterns.

After any diet, if you return to old styles of eating you will regain the weight. It is about dealing the the issues that got you to that place in the first place.

EatingAllTheCrumpets Sun 01-Dec-13 18:17:40

I do realise that slower the better but I really do need to shift the bulk of it in the next few months, then for the rest I'm happier to go through a more sensible and sustainable loss! grin

I'd really be aiming for a stone a month as a minimum, I've tried upping my exercise levels but the pain is too much. Hoping after a stone or two loss I'd be able to exercise harder and therefore get rid of more weight.

Having some personal issues with DH and they stem from my weight so I need to loose a lot quickly to fix these problems.

EatingAllTheCrumpets Sun 01-Dec-13 18:19:36

Lighter life looks like it might be good, 3stone in 2.5 months is fab and well done for that.

In all fairness well done to all of you, I have such rubbish will power, hence why I've ended up in this situation now... Oops!!!

RedLondonBus Sun 01-Dec-13 18:26:14

you wont sustain it if its for someone else. yo need to do it for you,cliche,i know! but its true

and really,it needs to be a lifestyle change

EatingAllTheCrumpets Sun 01-Dec-13 18:35:14

It's absolutely for me, I am so unhappy with the way I look it's affecting my relationship. DH certainly isn't pressuring me but it's killing our relationship and I want to fix it as quickly as possible. I just want to get the bulk of it off and then go sustainable.

I think I'm just dreaming though, I know in my head that slow and steady will work for the long term, I'm just desperate now.

Certainly a lot to think about and try out though

Artandco Sun 01-Dec-13 18:44:49

I would do:

Clean eating every day

1 day fast a week

2 litres of water a day

No alcohol/ smoking

FourArms Sun 01-Dec-13 18:54:14

The Harcombe diet looks to offer a quick initial loss?

Maybe follow with Slimming World combined with 5:2? So fast for 2 and SW for 5? I think followed 100% you'd see close to a stone a month for a couple of months if you've got a fair bit to lose.

summerbreezer Sun 01-Dec-13 18:55:24

Thanks, I am pleased with what I have lost.

I will tell you now though - it hasn't fixed a single problem. Problems are problems and they will still be there even if you lose weight.

I would consider working on your relationship to the point where you feel that YOU are worth losing weight for. Then do it for you and you alone.

EatingAllTheCrumpets Sun 01-Dec-13 19:04:24

Thanks for the advice, going to give it all a good hard go and see what I can shift!

The problems are all because of my weight, I'm embarrassed to go out, I'm embarrassed to be touched. As a result it's causing arguments and I don't want that. DH is very supportive but there's only so much I can ask of him, it's not fair that he puts his life on hold too. Hopefully with a combo of everything as suggested I can get to a more comfortable weight and start living my life!

Sunshinenow Sun 01-Dec-13 19:08:10

Try Cambridge....similar to Lighterlife.

Always the risk of putting it back on. It is hard but quick.

30SecondsToVenus Sun 01-Dec-13 19:21:18

Cambridge is amazing I lost 4stone in 3 months.

it went back on when I fell pregnant but im ready to start again and I cant wait

SolomanDaisy Sun 01-Dec-13 19:43:02

I don't think you'll lose more than two pounds a week on anything except a food replacement diet like lighter life. Two pounds a week is actually quite quick, a pound a week tends to be what most people can sustain for a long period of time.

You seem to be having some fairly extreme reactions to your weight at the minute, are you sure it's really all due to your weight? You're then setting yourself up to fail by setting targets that would be very difficult for most people to meet. You might be better off working on building your self esteem, finding an exercise you can enjoy and a weight loss method you can sustain for a longer period of time.

EatingAllTheCrumpets Sun 01-Dec-13 20:14:23

Solomandaisy I've just realised how desperately unhappy I am and the only thing holding me back is my weight. I know that I'm perhaps setting myself up for a fail I just really want to be happy.

I think I need to reasses and maybe clean eating plus a bit of fasting is the answer. I just don't know if I can wait that long to be thinner!!

Talkinpeace Sun 01-Dec-13 20:53:21

the body follows where the brain leads.

When you start to eat the right amount to be the slim you, your body will naturally shrink to be that size
but the brain has to come first
unless you KNOW how and why you got to a size you hate
you will never escape it
put your time and effort into analysing what you eat (use MFP - even it it comes in at 4000 calories a day)
as only once you understand and accept how you eat can you ever sustainably change it

FWIW people doing 5:2 starting from a big size have lost several pounds a week at the outset
AND their slimmer other halves can follow exactly the same way of eating
which is good for the head

crash dieting will never work as its the body trying to lead the brain

Eating - listen to what Solomon and summerbreeze say. You are approaching it the wrong way round. Work on having the life and happiness you say you will have when you have lost weight now - the weight will follow. Even little baby steps in the direction of how you think things will be as a slim person will make a difference. What will your weight change in your life do you think?

Look around at all the people who have lost weight on diets and then put it (and more) back on within a year - 95% of dieters by the way - do you think they suddenly got happy because their jeans were smaller? Surely if they had been then they wouldn't have regained weight confused...the minority that keep weight off mostly do so because they have made an internal/emotional shift of some kind, they don't have superhuman willpower that keeps them on a restricted diet (or if they do its a miserable existence).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now