Any one strength training/weightlifti ng?

(39 Posts)
beckslovestimmy Tue 12-Nov-13 21:08:51

Hi there, I have a personal trainer at the gym and were doing strength training. Lots of squats, deadlifts ect. Anyone else doing the same? How's it going? What sort of weights are you hitting?

McPie Sat 07-Dec-13 20:55:38

Feeling rather proud of myself today as I managed 4 full sets of squats at 40kg grin.
I have also upped my sumo squats, lunges, dead lifts, bent over rows, calf raises by 2.5kg and skull crushers up to 12kg this week but as my squats are my biggest weight I am over the moon. Onwards and upwards!
I need to work hard on my shoulders and chest by the time I do Tough Mudder in June (paid for it on Tuesday grin) as I hope to be able to giveFunky Monkey a try this time round and not walk round the side of it!

beckslovestimmy Fri 06-Dec-13 12:39:47

Hi Bsssh, welcome grinI started with very light weights as I started training a few months after DD was born. Still on light weights for my arms because they are weak and I have very poor flexibility in my shoulderssmile. Be great to hear what your doing.

BsshBossh Fri 06-Dec-13 11:51:33

Just marking place so I can find you again. Fellow weight lifter here but have not been able to train for a month because I overdid it and sprained my pelvic floor region sad. Need to start over soon but with light weights then work up again but very slowly. Any room here for someone who won't yet be able to use heavy weights?

beckslovestimmy Wed 04-Dec-13 18:23:37

Hard session today. Did 40kg front squats (lot of pain in my left wrist which is apparently all to do with my very inflexible left shoulder) Split squats with a PB of 2x24kg kettle bells, dumbbell bench press with 2x14kg and overhead press with 25kg. All 4sets of 8 reps plus 2warm up sets. Feeling good! grin

McPie Sat 30-Nov-13 22:25:30

Woohoo eagle at least you have made the first step, I hope everything went ok today and you get the type of plan you are after. If not then I'm sure there are plenty of us who can share what we do to give you an idea of what you may want. If I'm not sure if I am doing something correct (I normally am) I check out the videos on here

beckslovestimmy Fri 29-Nov-13 22:39:37

Well done eagle! Definitely let us know how you get on.

I bet your husband is a bit jealous, just tell him he'll love the change to your figure. My husband says he can definitely see a difference in me and he says I'm happier since I started at the gym. He must be pleased as he gave me half the money for my next 10 sessions! grin

EagleRay Fri 29-Nov-13 21:39:36

update!

Rang the sports village today and got passed around/transferred quite a bit but eventually a personal trainer rung me back and I've got my first appointment tomorrow morning! Am v excited although don't think there's going to be too much activity as focus will be more on finding out where I am and what I want to achieve. Just as well really as still feeling a bit wobbly after recent illness.

Told DP and he was shock and hmm. Think he may also be a bit envy

That's a great achievement re the 10k Becks - 1k is currently my limit...

beckslovestimmy Fri 29-Nov-13 08:26:23

Eagle, you sound really motivated so definitely make those calls today. I tend to see my PT on a tues or wed then train on my own sat and Sunday, sometimes if it fits in with hubby's shifts I'll do another day in the week.

I've noticed definition in my arms, I'm much more trim around my middle, with a flatter tummy (I can see my ribs now) and my legs are more toned.

I also do a bit of interval training at the end of a session. Usually xtrainer or rower for 10-20 mins. This has definitely made me fitter. I did a 10k race in October with no real running training.

EagleRay Thu 28-Nov-13 23:22:02

Wow Becks we are very similar! Thanks for all the info - just after posting before, I had a bit of a brainwave (albeit a very obvious one) - I take DD swimming at the sports village at my local university, and I've just checked their website and discovered they offer strength training sessions. I don't think it occurred to me before as assumed it was just for professional athletes! I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. There's also crossfit classes near me too - will call them too, although not sure how much I can commit to as am on my own most of the week (DP works away). What sort of changes have you noticed in your body since you've been doing the training?

McPie I have just looked up DOMS! It's a little while since I've felt the effects of exercise, and can just see DP smirking now if I managed to exercise enough for it to hurt. In my defence, I've been very run-down the last few weeks and had non-stop illness (hence my slight lack of get up and go regarding exercise!)

I think I would be quite happy to spend the money on a PT - I've not been out for ages, nor do I ever treat myself to much in the way of nice things. Also I'm 42 and feel like I'm running out of time to be the best that I can be.

I could also do a fair bit at home - if I can clear DD's toys out the way, there's a nice big area of floor in the basement smile

beckslovestimmy Thu 28-Nov-13 19:09:01

Can I just say.... I love squats! Upped my weight again this week. Now squatting more than I deadlift!

Getting a programme made up is a good idea and cheaper than a PT. you could try that and if you like it, you could look at getting a PT at a later date. grin

McPie Thu 28-Nov-13 17:36:25

I think if its something new that you will be doing then get a personal trainer or an induction/programme made up for you in your local gym if they do them.
Form is really important as if you get it wrong it will bloody hurt, it will hurt anyway when you first start but there is a massive difference between injury and DOMS, and having someone to show you right from wrong is invaluable.
I started out doing Body Pump, high reps lower weight, and Box Fit where we would do weighted circuits, it was my Box Fit instructor who made my plan up for me.
I hope everyone is getting on ok with their plans. Eating is the one thing that spoils my hard work sometimes so I have decided that from sunday I am back on my eating plan. I hope that I can get the full effect of my hard work from then until xmas if I really focus on the food side too. I will relax it between xmas and new year and then I will start back healthy eating again. By then all the dark chocolate (I can't have much dairy without pain and feeling breathless so cheap dark choc is a godsend) and gluten free mince pies are all gone smile.
It was leg day on monday and I got my squats up to 37 1/2kg grin, well pleased as I can now squat over half my body weight. In Body Balance this morning I had some of the women admiring the muscles on my arms which was nice even though I am still finding the compliment side rather strange.
Tomorrow I plan on trying to get on the squat rack again to start the process all over again now that my backside doesn't hurt quite as much as it did after mondays squats, pushing a heavy trolly round tesco on tuesday night was murder, Doms at their best grin.

beckslovestimmy Thu 28-Nov-13 08:18:55

Hi Eagleray, you sound very similar to me!!! Bmi around 30, DD is 10.5 months old and I'm back to work in January smile

There are things you an do at home using your body weight such as squats, lunges, press ups ect, there are loads of videos on the web that will show you how to do these.

I joined the gym (fitness first) and as part of that you had to have 1-2 sessions with a PT, like an induction. I then carried those sessions on. The PTs at my gym are self employed. You would need to find one who will do strength training with you, in my gym there aren't many girls doing the same training as me.

My PT is also an instructor at crossfit gyms (you could look in to these, they do small group sessions/classes of strength training where you would get taught the proper form but wouldn't need at PT). I need a strong trainer as he will lift the weights on to my back and spot me when I'm lifting.

If you have any questions I'm happy to try and answer them. The other ladies who don't have a PT may be able to give you more tips grin

EagleRay Wed 27-Nov-13 23:13:42

Hi - came across this thread and read with great interest as still overweight after having 10mo DD and feel like I want to do something different to the endless dieting/excercise. Been thinking about weightlifting for a while as like the idea of being really strong, but have no idea where to start!

My BMI is currently around 30, I'm at home during the day with DD and don't currently do any exercise classes (but do the occasional 30 day shred workout and lots of walking). What can I realistically hope to achieve do you think? Should I try and find a personal trainer? Is this something I could do at home, or would I need to join a gym? I will probably be back at work in Jan so will have less time to spend on exercise then. Gosh so many limitations but find all your stories very inspiring so would really like to give this a try!

beckslovestimmy Wed 27-Nov-13 21:47:32

That's great cross. I've lost about 9lb in the last 3 weeks. My trainer keeps telling me 'you can't train yourself out of a bad diet' and its starting to filter in. I'm thinking why work so hard in the gym and then go and ruin it at home! I'm starting to see definition in my muscles and clothes fit and look better.

crossparsley Wed 27-Nov-13 19:54:49

Thanks becklovestimmy. Oh and since this is in the weight loss section, I can happily report I have lost about 5lbs (I count in kg so that's
a bit vague), was inside BMI range to start with but squishy. More importantly I have lost many cms, including off my waist and - miraculously - my belly. It's a very big thing for me to say I think I look ok!

beckslovestimmy Wed 27-Nov-13 19:26:34

Hi crossparsley. I think its probably normal that the heavier you lift the slower you progress. I was increasing my weights by 10kg a week on deadlift/squats but once I hit about 50kg the progress has been slower. Some weeks I haven't increased the weight at all. Sometimes I don't have the confidence either and it takes a session with my PT to prove to myself I can do it.

I love feeling strong. And strength training is the first type of exercise I have actually enjoyed. I love seeing how far I've come and knowing that I will keep getting better and stronger. smile

crossparsley Wed 27-Nov-13 18:40:58

I started in September - don't have a PT but am using the New Rules of Lifting for Abs (terrible title but great book, for the record there are NO CRUNCHES) and I love it. I only wish I had known about this all my life. It's the perfect exercise for me, not boring, challenging but possible, and you get better all the time. I'm reading what some of you are lifting and feeling very weedy though!

Which brings me to a question: when you get to the level of deadlifting your own bodyweight (me this week! hurrrray!) is it normal to feel that your progress might hit a bit of a plateau? I was merrily sticking on 3-5kg a week but I've had to cut my reps at [me]kg and I really feel that it will be another few sessions before I can go up again.

Never mind, I have sooooper defined spinal erectors (my new favourite body part) and I have never felt so strong in my life. It's changed the way I feel about my body completely, and positively. I honestly do have a spring in my step!

beckslovestimmy Sun 24-Nov-13 16:00:17

Good work out today. Upped my lat pull down from 45kg to 50kg, my deadlift from 60kg to 65kg, and single leg deadlift from 2x8kg to 2x12kg. Progressing nicely grin

beckslovestimmy Sat 23-Nov-13 22:45:29

I'm a bit OCD with tidying, I start putting my weights back and notice other people haven't put them in the right place so I have a good tidy up. I think I could get a job there! You'll soon be lifting heavier weights than the guys (with better form)! Us women are much more determined!

McPie Sat 23-Nov-13 22:37:26

He is really nice, even if he did knock my glasses clean off my face last week, and we both know what we miss out on if we are paired with a newbie so we stick together these days smile.
I am not quite at that stage yet with the weights but wish they would remove their weights when they are finished as having to humph 80+kg off the squat rack is a bit of a pain! May have to have a mump at my dear darling buddy who works in the gym and see if they can put that kind of request up for the wimpy ones, ie me!
Tough Mudder is something else and if you ever get the chance to do it I would say go for it, its tough for a reason but is amazing as everyone helps each other and Mud Mile was by far one of the best things I have ever done!

beckslovestimmy Sat 23-Nov-13 22:15:31

Wow that looks savage, what a challenge! I bet it feels good being picked by a younger chapsmile. I was training with my PT the other day and we had to share the squat rack with a guy and his PT we started off with just the barbell, he stopped at 40kg and I got to 80kg! That felt great, i like to think the look on his face was respect! I love getting on a piece of equipment after a guy and having to add more weight.

McPie Sat 23-Nov-13 21:54:50

Yup my husband just nods and says "well done" or "thats good" when I tell him, think its just habit now!
I box with a young lad who is 22, I'm 35, and he always makes a bee line for me every week as we are insync speed wise with each other so we always get the best work out when we pair up together, we have learned that the hard way. I am cheesing that I can keep up with a 22 year old grin, R on the other hand is murder to keep up with when I am paired with him as he puts effort in with me but keeps it easy with newbies!
I completed Tough Mudder Scotland in August which was major for me, I trained from January and still felt under prepared. I have pre registered for next year and I am determined to at least try Hangin Tough rather than walk round the side like I did this year, Artic Enema will NEVER be done again as full body shock experienced once in a lifetime is once too many!
It's a stones throw from home, less than a 15 min bus journey if they keep it where it was this year and going by what I heard Scotlands will be in Dalkeith Country Park for the next 5 years, crosses fingers that its true, and we have a team of us which is ever expanding so there will be no excuses allowed, plus I find wearing the T-shirt when doing weights stops some of the looks wink.

beckslovestimmy Sat 23-Nov-13 21:27:56

I used to run a lot before I was pregnant. I did a 10k race in October. My PT doesn't like me to run though because I have a dodgy knee and he's worried I'll get injured and then wont be able to train. I mostly do cardio on the xtrainer or rower. I usually do interval training. I hate it but its certainly effective.

beckslovestimmy Sat 23-Nov-13 21:25:10

Yeah I love my trainer. He's so strict on my form and he doesn't take any shit (when I'm being girly and wimpy!)

Its great he knows my ability and pushes me. I never thought I could lift 100kg, but he had confidence in me which gave me confidence. I now know I can lift more!

I don't see any other trainers at the gym doing the same type of training with other women. He also takes classes at a local crossfit gym and competes himself. He's really knowledgeable and he does sports massage too.

It's great to talk to someone else about training. I think my husband is fed up of listening to mewink

McPie Sat 23-Nov-13 21:00:05

Yeah mine is strength training too. I have been going to boxfit from when I started classes last september and R knows exactly how far I have came and my goals, also being an expara, martial arts competitor and very into weights he was the only person I trusted to form me a programme. My form, which I have been told is perfect by another weightlifting lovely lady, is all down to R and looking at the way some of the big blokes lift I am glad I have someone so knowledgeable (just under level 3 from his army training so hes a tough b!) on my side keeping me right.
I'm so happy to speak to someone else with the same mind set as myself as some people I have met only think a class is a decent class if lots of ab work is involved. Then again my belly is shot after 3 kids but as its still holding onto fat and crunches will have no effect I will have to keep running as thats about the only thing that shifts any weight these days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now