Surprising advice from cardiologist

(84 Posts)
romina Tue 15-Oct-13 08:12:55

Just posting this as it really surprised me and thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested.

I've recently been seeing a cardiologist, who is on Tatler's top doctors list. I am overweight, with high blood pressure and basically said "I know I should eat less and lower fat, but I do find it really tough to stick to".

She told me that the 2 diets with the best clinically-reviewed, robust evidence of effectiveness and health benefits are firstly the Mediterranean diet and secondly, surprise surprise, low carb. I almost fell of my chair.

I've done low carb in the past, got disheartened by being told that is unhealthy, over and over again, by my GP, stopped and piled the weight back on.

Apparently the whole "a calorie is a calorie" thing is rubbish - some foods (nuts I think were one of them) don't appear to have any impact on weight even if 500 cals or so are simple added to the same person's diet daily, but sugar is usually the biggest problem for most people - and can have an effect on the brain similar (as seen in a functional MRI scan) to hard drugs.

I'm sure lots of people will disagree - but I thought it was really interesting...

classifiedinformation Thu 17-Oct-13 14:01:03

Yes talkingpeace, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also I have read some pretty worrying things that happened to people whilst doing a low carb/high fat woe.

You need to have very regular cholesterol checks as although low carbing reduces cholesterol initially, but it raises again especially if you are doing this woe long term.

Also the liver has to work extremely hard to process
the high amounts of protein consumed and many people have had problems with this. I have read alot of pro and con articles and experiences about low carbing, it doesn't work for everyone unfortunately and I'm still not entirely convinced about it's health benefits.

ivykaty44 Thu 17-Oct-13 15:37:24

Halfthesize Cardiomyopathy with Left branch bundle block -can you explain to me what this is and how is occurs?
thank you in advance

Talkinpeace Thu 17-Oct-13 15:42:46

I don't do low carb. I do 5:2 and high fat was always a gimmick.

romina Sat 19-Oct-13 23:43:23

Golly, I didn't think anyone would be interested!

I also have a partial left bundle branch block - it's an electrical dysfunction I think. I get palpitations (very Victorian), raging sweats and big BP drops (from scarily high down to high). Apparently the closest definitions so far is inappropriate sinus tachycardia - but that doesn't t quite fit. I do like the idea of being inappropriate though.

Med diet is lots of veg, fruit, olive oil, nuts, fish, meat and a reasonably amount of dairy. Think Spanish, Italian, Greek food.... Natural, unprocessed as much as possible and very colourful. Some carbs but not troughing chocolate, cakes, crisps etc....

I do find that when I eat no sugar I can not have it happily - if I have a bit, the craving becomes unbearable very fast - and I do have more energy without it too - and no "hangover" symptoms after a big night (on the carbs).

I shall be joining bootcamp methinks!

halfthesize Mon 21-Oct-13 21:44:28

Ivy As OP said its a electrical problem that means my left side does not pump properly. The LBBB is an indication of cardiomyopathy and mine is has been passed down through my dads side of the family.

I take medication and will have to for the rest of my life, they can not cure it but the hope is that the meds slow the process.

Cocoaone Tue 29-Oct-13 19:55:24

MissBeehivin - can you tell me more about your cholesterol? I have FH too, started low carb boot camp in Sept but my yearly review with the consultant was coming up and I was getting nervous eating so much fat.

How long have you been low carbing and what were/are your lipids like? Tell me to bugger off if you like!

ringaringarosy Wed 06-Nov-13 09:43:28

what about so called good carbs like sweet potatoes and brown rice?are they okay in a small amount?

MillyRules Wed 06-Nov-13 09:58:31

5:2 , 16:8 , 14:10 are all gimmicks too and loaded if reports already on this diet causing bingeing in people. Is not a good way for women to eat hormonally. This too will die a death and be replaced by another way of starving yourself and causing disordered eating.
GI has been around for years and years. I remember it years ago.

ringaringarosy Wed 06-Nov-13 10:29:44

its the no grains thing i think i would miss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now