Losing the stones one guinea pig at a time...

(984 Posts)
HenriettaPye Tue 24-Sep-13 18:02:44

Hello quiche avoiders wink

Lovely shiny new thread- we are a talkative bunch!

First Thread

Second Thread

To be a quiche avoider you must
-have a considerable amount of weight to lose
-be serious about wanting to lose it
-give other members a virtual kick up the arse when needed
-weigh in with us on a Wednesday (or if you weigh in on another day, post your results on a wednesday)

So roll up, jump in and lets lose lbs! and if you are having a moment of weakness just remember... what would clarinet do wink

Reastie Sun 13-Oct-13 11:33:32

Birding you will get in new jeans, promise! Glad you're feeling better, how miserable.

Mia 2lbs in 3 weeks is still really good even if it's not as much as you'd like. I try to tell myself it took xx years to go on so will take a long time to come off. Go and weigh 3lbs of sugar or flour from your cupboard and you'll see 3lbs is actually quite alot in weight. You're doing really well and just need to keep it up and eventually you will get there. Being a snug 16 is amazing from a 22, you've done so well (that sounds patronising but it isn't meant to be). This is a marathon not a sprint.

MissElodie what's done is done, it's the getting back on it and not giving up that's the main thing.

Another great work grin

I've just done my insanity workout. DH watched me for some of it blush and I think thought it looked quite hard or maybe it was me making it look hard which made me grin . Really worked hard though so feel good and hoping for a 1 lb loss this week.

IsThatTrue Sun 13-Oct-13 13:09:03

Hi everyone. In my professional opinion <fnar> I think the weather has a lot to answer for with this dieting lark. Who wants salad when it's freezing?! I need to get my arse in gear and make some soup which should help.

What would also help would be DH letting me put the heating on. But as we haven't frozen yet (and are poor, and they just upped our utilities prices) I doubt it will happen any time soon.

I got my last box of 'too small' clothes out of the loft today and am amazed a lot of it fitted I now have my golddigga jeans and my hot pants back in my wardrobe! And a pair of pedal pusher jeans that Ive never worn before as they say size 12 but when I last tried them I was size 12 and they were snug. They fit well now. I still can't quite believe I'm heading towards size 10. shock although I'm still not into a normal bmi range, at least another 8lbs until then <sigh>

We can all do it though. I can't believe I was 3 stone heavier in June!

Sirzy Sun 13-Oct-13 13:18:04

I agree the weather doesn't help, it really makes me crave carbs and stodgy food. I will have to find a way around this if I want to keep up the weight loss.

Sirzy Sun 13-Oct-13 13:18:48

and well done on fitting the smaller clothes smile

I am fitting into size 14s perfectly, which given I was verging on size 20 (in denial and squashing into 18s!) in May I am happy with that. One day i will be size 12!

Reastie Sun 13-Oct-13 13:24:32

isthattrue how can you be a size 12 and not yet a healthy BMI?! shock . I'm teetering around the 11 stone mark (5"6) and a size 14 and I'm nearly healthy BMI!

sirzy - amazeballs!

Sirzy Sun 13-Oct-13 13:27:52

BMI is stupid, I am still obese with BMI and have a long way to go before I am classed as healthy weight. I think its because I am so short but its very frustrating!

IsThatTrue Sun 13-Oct-13 16:44:54

I'm only 5'4 so maybe that's why. I'm 11stone1 and fitting small size 12s easily and large size 10s (maybe with a bit of muffin top but not hideously so). To have a healthy bmi I need to be 10stone7 at the heaviest. But that's the lightest I've been in 10 years (when i was 17 and fell pregnant with dd) so who knows if I'll ever get past that.

I agree with you sirzy bmi is stupid!

clarinetV2 Sun 13-Oct-13 18:17:33

Sizes are weird too, though. There was a thread on AIBU some time ago where someone asked what weight/size people of 5' 4" were. I joined in, as I'm about half an inch less than that. Can't remember what I weighed at the time as it was a few months ago, but there were a lot of women weighing more than me taking smaller sizes. At 9 stone 2ish and comfortably inside the healthy BMI range I'm taking pretty much the same sizes as you, IsThatTrue - except that size 12 tends to be better up top, with 10 fitting better for trousers. Does that mean I'm a lot less toned than you, or what? Not that I'm complaining, as size 10/12 is something I could never have dreamed of a year ago. But it does seem odd that at the same height there is such a difference.

I'm with people on the weather making it harder to eat healthily. My lovely country walk today didn't come off. Just didn't feel like braving the wind and the rain, so I did a couple of miles along the coast and that was it. But my eating has been reasonable (not perfect, but no major slips) this weekend, so I hope for OK news on Wednesday. And I made a big batch of soup this afternoon which is now in the freezer so that there's something quick and easy when I get in at night this coming week - I'm with IsThatTrue on not wanting salad in this weather.

MissElodie I completely get the carrying on eating after you're so full your tummy hurts. That's what I did last Monday - it was as if having gone so wrong already I may as well make the most of it, even though I knew that was stupid. There's only one thing for it, though. Heave yourself back onto the wagon!

IsThatTrue Sun 13-Oct-13 22:26:00

clarinet no idea wether it makes me more toned tbh. I can't fit size 10 tops due to massive bfing boobs. Nut trousers are def heading that way. I always seem to weigh more than I look though. Even at 14stone1 (where I started) I was a size 16.

It's all so variable, do its hard to know what's 'right'.

Within my current wardrobe I have jeans between sizes 12 to 16. They all fit perfectly!

Sneaky weigh in this morn and 2lb off this week, I feel well and truly back on the wagon!! smile

Debs75 Mon 14-Oct-13 14:21:15

A bit of a boast here. Tried on a pair of size 16 bootcut jeans on Saturday and they fittedgrin I haven't been a 16 now for about 9 years so this is a huge momentous event for me.

Had a sneaky takeaway last night then a cooked breakfast today to recover from a very late night with way too much driving. got to be good this week but it is Fair week so I will be tempted by all the fudge, chestnuts, doughnuts, hot dogs, brandy snap and coconuts. On the plus side it is a huge fair and we will do a lot of walking. I think a week of soups is on the cards again.

phantomhairpuller Mon 14-Oct-13 14:26:56

Well done debs gringrin

Sirzy Mon 14-Oct-13 14:28:55

Well done Debs smile

Yellow, glad you are getting back on track.

I did a 2 mile run this morning (well run/jog/walk combination) and really enjoyed it even in the rain!

BirdingWidow Mon 14-Oct-13 16:04:30

Am I the only one seeing an odd picture in several posts (looks like a picture of a washing machine in a cupboard, appearing for the first time in Sirzy's sunday post of 13.18)? I feel I may be going mad...l am viewing on an iPad.

and hello everyone!

phantomhairpuller Mon 14-Oct-13 16:17:44

Birding, is it the emoticons? Like this grinwink

Maybe they're not showing up correctly on your iPad?!

BirdingWidow Mon 14-Oct-13 17:50:04

No, the emoticons look fine. It is a picture about 8x5 times the size of the normal emoticons, you can't miss it! Its quite a detailed picture of a wasgine machine i think?! And it is showing up on the Christmas bargain thread too. I will check the site stuff. (DS had me up at 2.30am and I couldn't get back to sleep so I may be delusional but this seems very odd?)

phantomhairpuller Mon 14-Oct-13 17:56:15

grin at being delusional!

But I have no idea what you're on about otherwise!

IsThatTrue Mon 14-Oct-13 18:37:19

birding could it be an ad that's coming up in an odd place? It does that on my phone sometimes. (Never seen a washing machine though).

debs well done you! I love all the shrinking wardrobes. Real incentive to carry on.

BirdingWidow Tue 15-Oct-13 06:01:11

Morning all. I am still seeing washing machines and today I have had a lavish 5 1/2 hours sleep. Others reported seeing random pictures in threads yesterday (also iPad) so maybe there is a bug.

Speaking of which, I have been making up for my bug by stuffing myself. I had to sit at a computer all day yesterday for the first time in ages and I was itching to nibble. I know where my worst habits lie, now to avoid them...

Size 16 jeans must feel great Deb, congratulations!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 15-Oct-13 10:53:31

Morning everyone, sorry I've been a bit AWOL, we had a busy weekend and then yesterday was hectic catching up with chores etc.

I'm fasting today, going ok so far.

I had a bit of a depressing moment over the weekend. I really want a new dress to wear when DH and I go out for our anniversary in a couple of weeks, and I couldn't find anything I liked in John Lewis that fitted. The two things I picked up to try on looked hideous and clung to every lump and I felt awful and frumpy.
Made me realise that I still need to lose a good 20 pounds before I can buy really lovely stylish clothes and look good in them. Ho hum.

Hey All
Birding - Must be very annoying for you, but the image of floating washing machines which no-one else can see has made me giggle!
Debs - well done on the jeans, its such a lovely moment when these things happen!
Alibaba - Sorry it was a depressing moment, we've definitely all been there! Try to use it as motivation instead. Find something you really want to wear and plan a special occasion with your DH in the future and think that is what I will be wearing then!

I have a beautiful dress in my wardrobe that I plan on wearing for DH on our 'getting together' anniversary, as I know he loves it. I wanted to be under 12 stone by then, it has been one of my goals since I had DS2 in June, so I really want to achieve it - it would mark 4 stone gone! We met on Halloween, and I am currently 12st7lbs so my work is cut out over the next few weeks! Great target to have though!

I'm being ok at the moment. All the stress we have going on at the moment is making picking at inappropriate foods a huge temptation but so far I am resisting!!

Sirzy Wed 16-Oct-13 06:31:59

Just one pound off this week.

Good luck everyone!

Reastie Wed 16-Oct-13 06:42:01

Grrrr, just weighed myself and after 4 days of having dropped 1lb I'm back up 1lb this morning to STS angry . Hopefully it'll be back off by tomorrow though.

Ali I know that feeling well and it's really depressing. Just think of this time next year when you WILL love how you look in everything if you keep on it.

Yay for debs grin

I got 2 comments at work yesterday about how I look slim. Now, I'm a size 14 so I don't think I'm slim at all, but it's nice of them to say. Also got an actual jaw drop from one lady who asked how much I'd lost when I told her grin

BirdingWidow Wed 16-Oct-13 06:44:46

4.5 lb off this week, thanks to the Norovirus diet. I suspect I may bounce up a lb or two over the next week as i may still be a bit dehydrated. It's nice to have had a bit of an upside because otherwise it has been a rubbish week. DS still has terrible diarrhoea a week on so he can't go to nursery and we can't really see people or go out (have already made my mum ill <feel v guilty>). I find being a SAHM quite loney anyway as I dont know anyone localish who isn't working almost FT so I have noone to hang out with. So i have been at a bit of a low ebb really...

Anyway, I am now 13st 4, which is exactly 2 st lighter than when I first logged onto MFP in March. I haven't been dieting all that time because I seriously gave up for a couple of months when I was made redundant and put some back on. I only got back on the wagon when this thread came along, but it is still a huge change. Mind you, no one has commented on my weight loss except my sister, and I am still in those same size 18 jeans! They are loose now though, am going to order the 16s and see.

Hope you all have a good weigh in

clarinetV2 Wed 16-Oct-13 07:03:14

Congratulations on your 2 stone milestone, Birding, though I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell. Hope you feel better soon, and good luck with fitting into the 16s. Don't worry about people not commenting. There are many reasons people lose weight, not all of them intentional, and people may feel awkward about mentioning your weight loss even if they've noticed it, in case they open a difficult conversation.

I've lost 5lb this week. It's not quite as impressive at that sounds, it just means that most of last week's mega-gain was water as I'd hoped, and a week back on the wagon has seen it off again. Now back to the maintenance plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now