The Paul McKenna Thread Number 13 ~ the Good Luck Number! A Simple Title, for Simple Weight Loss and All amongst Friends!!

(940 Posts)
Solo Wed 11-Sep-13 14:49:47

Welcome to thread 13 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded friendly support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition, it's about enjoying what you are putting into your mouth, but not feeling bloated and uncomfortable (or guilty) afterwards!
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we may have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!! Let's get lighter for those Christmas outfits!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry and that is a great way to feel when you are dropping dress sizes at the same time!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several...if we can get those lbs off a few at a time, just think how we could look and feel for Christmas and The New Year!!!
Some of our thread members are also doing PMK's Virtual Gastric Band and although this thread is not about this avenue, we will still be supportive of our friends partaking of this, so don't think we wont be there for you. I'm pretty sure that the Golden Rules will be just as helpful in this process as the I Can Make You Thin process smile so get stuck in smile

ppeatfruit Tue 24-Sep-13 10:05:26

sad HadA 9 is a crucial age; our DD1 started putting on weight at 9 but I kept quiet, no diets or anything and then at 18 she just decided herself to watch what she ate (she DID start smoking at uni 'cos her friends suggested it was a good way to lose though sad) she's fine now.Though her new highly stressful job has possibly got her smoking again.

You've got a good opportunity to have a Paul Mckenna baby after all we bf and ff when they're hungry you just continue with BLF.

Rules I find that whatever we say to our DCs they are inclined to do the opposite during the teenage years. Of course i forget DH has always done stupid cambridge type Diets and got fatter! So they would've noticed that I suppose. I'm not forgetting that i've been on Ways of Eating too for health though!

veryberrybug Tue 24-Sep-13 10:46:55

morning all!

yes it's a minefield dealing with these issues WRT kids: i'm adopting the policy of knowledge is power so i'm telling my kids i'm unhappy with my body just now because i'm unhealthily overweight for my height & build & this gives me potential bad health, & it doesny feel nice, it's harder to be active. then i say to them "remember how grumpy & greedy i was when i was on that diet, & now look i'm fatter than before because it made me just want to pig out all the time" & tell them i'm relearning how to eat like them because it's naturally right! i've been watching the documentaries with DD1 & she sees the bigger picture now (was especially interested in the WWII experiment PM mentions in book which was also on program, describing how people's mentality changed to desperate & quite frankly bonkers from the caloric deprivation)& actually said "mum i'm glad you just let me have one cookie not the whole packet because it was a nice treat & i feel sorry for X (the fat kid in her class) because it must be really hard to run about & enjoy yourself". time will tell if i've fucked her up, but i really feel for all you guys who've been put on diets as kids - that's awful.

i suppose we all tend to parent our own childhoods: mine's was that my mum was plagued by depression & anxiety her whole life & they never thought to tell my sister & i; now i feel ashamed of how i sometimes was as a teenager because i never knew how broken she was emotionally & that she couldny deal with me because of her, not me. so i tell my kids if there's something going on which affects how i react to stuff, because i credit them with the intelligence to learn about understanding the human condition. jings we're complicated!

faith hope the counselling helps. i found it did, though it can be uncomfy bringing up old stuff, but it's like cleaning the grit out of a wound so it can heal properly - worth it in the end. also CBT made a massive difference to my thought patterns: i learnt how to balance them better when depressive thinking set in spiralling down, to challenge my assumptions etc. all good stuff if you can get it & put the effort in smile

HadALittleFaith Tue 24-Sep-13 10:56:54

berry I think you're doing a fantastic job! smile

I've had counselling before so I'm confident it will help. I seem to need a top up every couple of years!

ppeatfruit Tue 24-Sep-13 11:58:26

You're ALL doing fantastically !! TBH we're all lucky to have found a WOE that supports the emotional side of it. 'cos basically that's what overeating is about isn't it?

Although my DM tried very hard to overcome her neglectful childhood ;she definitely punished herself quite a bit (she was with my dad after all that was punishment in itself, he wasn't physically abusive but we found out after his death he shagged anything that moved).

Rules Wed 25-Sep-13 13:34:44

Your so right pp. smile Your poor Mum.....did you get on with your Dad? And...what was your childhood like?

Solo Wed 25-Sep-13 23:19:42

Hi all! I'm having a tough time atm. I've been eating rubbish for the sake of it today. Feel like I did premenstrual except that I haven't seen Aunty since Nov/Dec! so not sure what's going on really.
I need to focus and sort myself out.
I only have until Monday to say that I'm a Prison Officer. I have mixed feelings about it and I'm more than a little worried about getting a new job sorted.

My Dd is 6.9yo and has on more than one occasion told me she's fat sad which is a description that couldn't be further from the truth as she's amazingly slim! it has to be coming from her peers.

ppeatfruit Thu 26-Sep-13 09:39:44

sad solo Ah yes the end of yr. job is approaching! Sounds like you need a bit of hormone balancing. Dong Quoi supplement is brilliant for that (sorry I'm Dr. PP again!) DD2 is here ATM and she's regulating her hormones with an iodine stick on that's working really well for her! WRF to DDs saying they're fat IMO it's their little bellies that make them say that i know GD says the same at that age too.

Rules I remember that we saw more of our male lodger than our dad and he was sweet. Mum made made sure we had a secure loving childhood (and she did succeed because we're fairly normal; I don't reckon anyone is 'normal' do you?) Though we moved around a lot. I say we 'cos my dsis and I were born within 13 months of each other. How about yours?

veryberrybug Thu 26-Sep-13 13:13:15

thanks faith & it's lovely having the chance to do it all again with the wee baby i'm minding. i make mistakes (as we all do) but have a lot to give. yey!

aw pp that's hard finding out negative stuff about your dad after he's dead, that he's maybe not who you thought he was.

solo that's tricky with DD, if it was me i'd try & pin her down a bit more: where does she think she's fat? which bodies is she comparing herself to? etc looking at photos of eg. catalogue kids to see if her perception of herself is skewed. but as pp said it's probably just looking down at her little tum, & a few reassurances that "no you're just the right shape for your age" will do the job. WRT job title ending, yes change is remarkably unnerving isn't it. i've gone from being SAHM for 13 yrs to starting nannying & a new course in the same fortnight & i've come out in wee patches of eczema (my stress coming out) despite the fact i love both things & wanted to do them! i should recommend the course to you - life coaching - because it's making the mountain i need to climb seem less overwhelming by getting me to focus on what i can do just this week: baby steps are manageable & they'll get me there. doing it as a course is literally 10X cheaper than seeing a life coach 1:1, we work in a group & pairs etc.

hoorah i seem to have got my eating back on track again, i'd slipped into unconscious fast chewing without realising, though i was still eating only when hungry & eating what i wanted. so now i'm noticing every flavour again. smile that paired with cycling to & from new job & course have served to lift my mood immensely grin i know we're not calorie-counting but i used a calorie-burning calculator & found i'd used 848 cal merely getting to & from where i had to be!! what a boost, beats paying for bus & sitting (probably eating wink) feeling my arse getting fatter LOL

rules how are you doing? still struggling or settling down a bit?

Solo Thu 26-Sep-13 16:30:12

I don't know pp DD has no belly! she has no fat on her!

I'm just looking for a new job now! it's daunting because the last 3 jobs I've had, I've kind of fallen into! the first I did for 2.6 years, the second for over 4 years, and this one I started in 1996...even if you take away the break I took, I still worked there for 11 years! I am scared!

Rules Thu 26-Sep-13 22:04:00

Its not easy Solo. I left my job because I could see the chap who owned it was getting into debt and had outstanding bills. I managed a posh ladies boutique and loved the job. I have been offered a couple of jobs since but all the fashion retails positions now seem to be on 16 hours or less, (usually less and like 4 or 6 hour a week contracts) which is stupid. Im doing a lot of research and hoping to start my own business next year.

Solo Thu 26-Sep-13 23:03:58

Yes Rules, I've even considered that with my redundancy money. I have so much to put right on my house though, that if I started my own business, I couldn't repair my home...and if I did and it went south, I'd have no money, no business and a very broken house.
I'm looking at caring for elderly people in their own homes or not...<stupidly crap pay though>

ppeatfruit Fri 27-Sep-13 10:57:35

Morning all grin very We didn't have many illusions about Dad because we have 2 half sibs. and he had a wife that he tried to keep secret right at the beginning of my parents' relationship shock His life was just like a bad soap actually!!

The cycling sounds good (you're lucky if you've got good cycle paths I'm a coward me!). So you're doing a life coach course not a nannying one? I found out cutting out oranges and orange juice cured my eczema try it for a week grin and see what happens.

Just thinking aloud here Solo ; what if you worked for yourself as a carer then you could charge more (there are older people who can afford to pay more for a" better than the council" type service surely?)

Rules How about personal styling? If you're in the type of area. grin

Rules Fri 27-Sep-13 13:52:14

Oooo pp. I would love to do that. Was looking at training courses yesterday actually. grin

Rules Sat 28-Sep-13 00:01:18

Hi Ladies,

Im good thanks very and I have stopped weighing myself these last 3 weeks and guess what......I have not gained weight and have even lost a couple of pounds. I hated getting overly reliant on the scales as they make you feel "shitty".

Hows everyone else today.?

I have also started walking half an hour each evening just as the sun is setting. Up lots of hills so really good workout and get to have a chat with the sheep and cows and pick lovely autumnal flowers. Lovely.

Rules Sat 28-Sep-13 23:30:36

Evening All

Hope your all ok and managing to keep Pauling. I went to Tesco tonight and they have a 20% off clothes just this weekend just in case anyone wants to know. No use to you I know pp. smile

veryberrybug Sun 29-Sep-13 01:06:18

LOL i got suckered into sainsbo's 25%off TU clothing & got a reduced bra even cheaper! great, i thought, a bit of floral balcony underjoy just for me. turns out i'm glad it was only £3, bloody thing rubbing me underarm bulges with it's fecking glamourous boning <tsh!>!! ah well there's a lesson learnt: don't try to be fat & secretly gorgeous underneath!! <pfft> it's ok girls i'm laughing through my chafed seething grin

eating very Paul today <yey> ryvita seemed strangely appealing at lunchtime when i wasny hungry til 3pm. thought we better stop for lunch as DD2 had meltdown (though they never get hungry??) i think she's just allergic to chores... wink for tea: me dad's old recipe for potato pancake with secret raisins in <mmm> DD1 was pleasantly surprised!!

rules i've felt better too abandoning scales & esp. food diary: bad diety feeling to that... hurrah for freedom again!

pp you sound rather unperterbed & well-balanced despite your dad's soap opera dodgings... good for you.

veryberrybug Sun 29-Sep-13 01:13:19

p.s pp thanx for OJ tip i'll try it. i just found previously that stress was better out than in (homeopathy worked that way for me: a lot of puss & itching later me mentals are the best thay've ever been!) but i suppose it doesny hurt to try sth different...
& cycle paths in edinburgh are shite!! red stripe at the edge of the road if you're lucky, which disappears periodically. so it's me, my pink hi-vis vest, & the buses. eep! no so bad until they add tram lines for me wheels to get wedged in sigh

Solo Sun 29-Sep-13 02:45:33

Very it might be ok after washing. I bought some new M&S ones that did the same and left a big red line around my underarm. Washed them and they are fine!

Rules Sun 29-Sep-13 03:35:46

Solo very......glad its not just me that's up late. Im waiting for my son whose 21 (but still my baby) to come home. He had a row with his sister in town tonight (she is 23) and he went off. She came home in her car but I don't know where he is. Not that she cares. Miss Bitch she is at times!!! (grrrr)

Rules Sun 29-Sep-13 03:37:15

very....bras are sometimes very badly cut. Some cheapies are amazing and some expensive ones are crap. Ive just ordered three in the M & S sale at 50% off. Hope they fit.

ppeatfruit Sun 29-Sep-13 09:56:43

Morning all grin WRF to bras. I used to measure myself and have myself measured until noticing relatively recently that my bras NEVER fitted me (because the measurers were incorrect shock) So since losing I've dropped a size and am happy using the new way of measuring which was on here BTW and makes much more sense!

You're very welcome very WRF to our "rogue male" dad it's no use letting that type of thing blight yer life IMO!! We did well out of it in the end 'cos he died intestate which COULD have been terrible because his then woman friend falsified a will (even bribed his siblings to sign it!!!) But we took her to court and won!!!

Rules I am a boycotter of the retail chain you mentioned!! But thanks for thinking of me!

veryberrybug Sun 29-Sep-13 10:46:36

rules did your boy get home ok?

pp blimey that is soap drama shock some people are unscrupulous eh?

WRT bras: the annoying thing is i've got loads of nice ones which are too wee just now, & i keep refusing to spend good ££ on a good big one because i hope i'll no be in it for long... & then i am sigh usually i go for the same shape but i just went for a slight variation because it was there, pretty, my size & cheap. cheers solo i'll try washing it.

does/did anyone else have this problem i have with not wanting to spend ££ on fat clothes because i shouldn't be this size & don't intend to be for long, but then finding you've bugger all to wear & are still fat? i've now been overweight for 7 years (6.5 of them dieting) & think now maybe i should've had more than 2 pairs of troos that fit me at any one time, but still am loathe to buy them because i'm convinced i'll be thin before too long (then in the back of my head all previous disappointments lurk saying "believe it when we see it")...

Solo Sun 29-Sep-13 11:23:22

YES!!! very I feel just like that! I have bought some bigger sizes and my friend (the one that had weight loss surgery) has just given me some bigger sizes (sad really for me because she has never ever been a smaller size than me before) which is great, but also disappointing!
I also got my measurement from the bra threads pp and it is fab (if huge!) and M&S are one of the few places that had reasonably priced 34G's so I had to buy from there!

I have been out two nights running (hence being awake far too late last night/this morn) for leavers do's with work and I'll tell you; I feel like the granny out with the grandchildren most of the time. All the girls (even the ones in my age group) in their short dresses (used to be me!) and me in my can'tcovermybodyupenough clothing sad and my feet are killing me! and I suspect that the extra weight is partly the reason I can't stand heels these days.
Soooooooooo! tomorrow is my last day as a Prison Officer (I'm not in, but still) and from Tuesday, I'm going to start my new life. I'm going to get this weight off (approximately 28lbs, maybe more depending on how I feel), I'm going to try to do an amount of exercise each day at least on the exercise bike and I'm going to get my home into a half decent state!

Rules hope your son got home safe and sound.

Oh yes! I have a cold!!

HadALittleFaith Sun 29-Sep-13 11:39:36

very definitely! Especially post baby. I bought two pairs of trousers in a 16 with elastic ages waists (ew) to keep me going. Now they're getting a bit baggy but my normal 14s don't fit. No idea what to do.

I actually think I'm doing a bit better. I've been feeding my Dad's tortoise while he's away and walked to his house most days. It's about 10 minutes there then I walk a different way back, maybe 15 minutes. Faithlet falls asleep in the pram and I get fresh air and exercise. I've even declined cake because I wasn't hungry! Holding off weighing myself for now.

Rules Sun 29-Sep-13 20:03:41

very if I were you I would go and spend a reasonable thrifty amount on a capsule wardrobe in a larger size that fits you as you are and who you are now. When you have some nice clothes that actually fit you and all go together then dressing becomes a pleasure each day and you are no longer focused on losing weight before you allow yourself to look good. By waiting for the weightloss you are waiting to live your best self. In fact people have said that when they allowed themselves to dress for the size they are now that they no longer stressed about their weight, size or food intake as much because they looked good and consequently they lost weight as the pressure was off to lose weight to fit into old clothes.
Thanks everyone my son came home this morning at nine. He had walked home from the nearest town which was 10 miles away. He walked along the cycle path and as we are very rural, this is through the farm lands. He got tired and fell asleep. Then got up about 6 and continued walking home. Im just glad he is ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now