Would you be expecting me to lose weight going to the gym 3 x per week?

(45 Posts)

Starting at the beginning of July (after falling off the wagon a bit in June) I have tightened up my regime, and now have three days per week which look a bit like this:

- Eat breakfast and lunch totalling 400-500 calories
- Go to gym and burn 600 calories (450-500 on a bad day)
- Have small snack (about 100 calories)
- Have light dinner (chicken & veg, salmon salad, etc)

This means at least 2 x per week my Net calories tot in at about 600 (always less than 1,000).

I've also kicked some seriously bad cheese-and-wine habits on the days when I'm not excessively counting and don't go to the gym.

Consequently I'm about to go into my third week of this routine and feeling much fitter and better, but in the first week I actually gained three pounds (which I'd somehow lost whilst being off the wagon, so the gain put me squarely back on Square One) and I haven't lost a sausage since then confused

Would you expect this sort of regime to pay off, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks Chieftains wink

Talkinpeace Mon 15-Jul-13 14:07:29

what is your TDEE - which takes into account the gym time
just that chances are that you are still over your TDEE so will not lose weight.

mrscog Mon 15-Jul-13 14:11:23

What's your sugar/refined carb intake like? Some people struggle to lose if there's too much insulin floating around at regular intervals.

Also, the calorie counters at the gym aren't that accurate - they don't take in to account your BMR - so the calories you would have burnt if you'd just slept instead of going to the gym - I tend to minus about 80 calories off a gym workout to take this in to account.

Are you definitely being accurate with your calorie counting?

Depends what exercise you are doing - if you are doing exercise that will bulk you up it is unlikely that you will lose weight.

I don't know how to calculate that Talk - any ideas? I'm a desk-worker so it's a possibility.

mrs I'm using MFP, I generally x-ref against the back of the box so I think it's pretty accurate.

Madame just cardio - treadmill, crosstrainer, exercise bike, rowing machine.

Interesting about the machines being inaccurate, I'll bear that in mind!

Talkinpeace Mon 15-Jul-13 14:24:29

Here you go ....
http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx
and yes, when I used to "allow" for the calories I was burning I put on weight

Thank you Talk

So, sorry - what do I do with these numbers? <thicko>

milktraylady Mon 15-Jul-13 14:30:48

Have you tried using my fitness pal? It calculates everything for you.

If you are eating healthily & doing exercise then I say keep at it!

You will see the difference in your clothes & you will feel better too.

Have you tried the trx thingy in the gym? It is great, I got great results using it.

Talkinpeace Mon 15-Jul-13 14:32:03

:-)
put your height, age, weight and exercise level in
the TDEE tells you how many calories you need to stay the same weight

so those of us doing 5:2 do 2 days of 500, 4 days of at or under our TDEE and 1 day of splurge
and it seems to work

But the TDEE said I should eat 1859 calories a day, and that's me on "Lightly Active"! confused

I am indeed mlktray but I've never used the TRX thing, I'll look into it!

I mean, my TDEE was 1859, if I understood you correctly that should be my maintenance calorie weight...

Talkinpeace Mon 15-Jul-13 14:52:34

If your TDEE is 1859, staying within that (no allowance for exercise calories) should get you to lose weight.

And if you are not losing, chances are you are underestimating what you consume

the common errors are
- drinks - calories in tea and fruit juice etc
- crossing old WW points into calories and not realising that zero points foods are NOT zero calories
- portion control
- snacks - the 5:2 poster who wanted to believe a small pakora was around 100 calories, rather than the deep fried 300 it probably was!

DayOldCheesecake Mon 15-Jul-13 14:53:18

Consider doing Fartlek or HIIT.

Only fatties use cardio machines.

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Jul-13 14:56:09

What's Fartlek or HIIT?

I use the cardio machines and I am not fat. Nor are the majority of gym users on cardio when I go inconfused

milktraylady Mon 15-Jul-13 15:01:59

Yes if you do a mini circuits on the trx it's great.
You need 3 or 4 different exercises.
Repeat 3 times as perfectly & quickly as possible. Superb stomach coming your way!

Ask the gym staff to show you some trx exercises.

I like it because its difficult to injure yourself- unlike kettle bells/ machine weights.

Those numbers for calories burnt sound very high.

Bonsoir Mon 15-Jul-13 15:07:15

No. The gym won't make you lose weight. Eating less/better will help you lose weight.

Thistledew Mon 15-Jul-13 15:10:17

Give it time. The body stores energy in the muscles and liver and when you exercise, these are depleted. Most people store around 500 - 600 accessible calories in this way. As fat is quite hard to break down, your body will replenish its energy from the next meal that you eat. If you eat less than you burn through daily maintenance and exercise, then your body will start to deplete your fat reserves to make up the difference. This does not happen quickly, and will depend to a large extent on your metabolism, which also takes a while to properly adjust to your exercise regime.

That is not to say that is is not possible to burn fat solely through exercise. I am losing around half a kilo a week just through exercise alone, but that is because I am doing around 8 hours of cardio work a week, and burning around 5000 calories (I am eating more than 2000 calories though).

Do keep it up though. Once you are fitter, you will be able to sustain a high intensity cardio for longer, so that you will be able to get into a proper fat burning zone.

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training and Fartlek is a system of training whereby in your training session you work as hard as you possibly can for as long as you can, then work at a lower pace until you have recovered, and then work hard again. Both depend on your fitness level as to how hard you will actually be able to work and how many calories you can burn.

I do approximately 10 hours a week cardio and i never lose any weight, though it does make you look and feel better. Weight training and a low carb/high protein diet is the way to go really

milktraylady Mon 15-Jul-13 15:15:19

Yes there's a lot about your body type & how you burn energy.

Eating healthy, not drinking, then productive exercise WILL make a difference to your body. Stick at it, at least 4 weeks.

Your metabolism will slowly change to adjust to operating with the new conditions you are giving it.

Thistledew Mon 15-Jul-13 15:15:24

Sorry, maybe not half a kilo a week, more like a fortnight.

ohforfoxsake Mon 15-Jul-13 15:29:41

Rather than going by weight go by your measurements. I'm sure you'll see a difference in your shape before you do on the scales.

Oh and before anyone says it you won't be gaining muscle by going to the gym, and fat doesn't weigh less than muscle! But you might be retaining wat as your muscles repair themselves.

water

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now