Walking for weightloss?

(34 Posts)
Movingforward123 Wed 26-Jun-13 23:32:46

Is anyone walking for weightloss? If so what have your results been so far?

I never walk anywhere, so
I'm thinking walking for an hour 2-3 times per week to start off will help to improve my shape (and get rid of the muffin top) am boost my fitness levels!

And hopefully progress from there. I would love to hear inspiring stories from others grin

clarinetV2 Mon 01-Jul-13 17:31:04

I love my walk to and from work - half an hour each way along the beach to the bus stop my end (prom in the winter when it's dark, on the beach itself in the summer). At the other end of the bus ride I then have a short but steep uphill stretch including a long flight of steps to work. Twice a week or so I try to go for a lunchtime walk up a nearby hill which is a brisk hour's walk with about 200ft of ascent. I've been doing this since about November, while eating carefully. I've gone from just over 15st in August to 9st 7 this morning (which was my target, yippee!). I know a lot of it's down to eating less, but the walk is really important too. Don't know how it works physiologically, but I love the time spent in the outdoors in all weathers, it makes me feel upbeat and good about myself, and if I'm walking along the prom it means I'm not sitting on the sofa thinking about how much I want a cake. I did try the gym and swimming back in August/September, but all that getting changed and faffing about wasn't for me, and I didn't enjoy it half as much as walking.

Mollydoggerson Mon 01-Jul-13 22:15:26

clarinetV2 you are amazing!!! well done!!!

chrome100 Tue 02-Jul-13 10:06:44

I don't have a car so walk everywhere - to work and back (6 miles in total), to the shops, into town, carry my shopping home etc. I reckon I average between 6-10 miles a day. I don't feel like I lose weight (although perhaps I'd be fatter if I didn't walk everywhere) but I do have very toned legs without even trying so I do think it helps. I love walking. I could cycle to work as it's a nice route and would be quicker but I choose to walk as it's so much more fun.

clarinetV2 Tue 02-Jul-13 12:21:07

Thanks, Molly grin

OP, how did your walk to the shopping centre go?

inspired by this thread I walked the long way to the shop to buy a bottle of wine last night blush, and invested in a fitbit today. Will park further away from school in a bit and walk some more, and will see at the end of the week, exactly how far I do walk and how little it actually is and where I can fit some more in.

Clarinet - how long has it taken to lose the 20lbs?

Mollydoggerson Wed 03-Jul-13 14:18:12

Have been sabotaged for the last few days, relatives supposedly visiting and then cancelling last minute Monday night, rescheduled for Tuesday night and then no show! So no walking for me.

I went out for a brisk 15 min walk after lunch today, and I think I will try to incorporate it into every day from now on. It feels good to stretch the ould legs.

I'm also going walking tonight it if kills me!

clarinetV2 Thu 04-Jul-13 08:44:18

Well, Molly? Did you manage it last night? The 15 min lunchtime walk sounds like a good idea.

Midnight - it's 80lbs I've lost, not 20. Started kind-of half-heartedly last August but in earnest in September. The first few months I lost around 10lbs a month, but since Christmas that's levelled off to a fairly steady 6-7lbs a month. I think the weight loss itself is almost entirely due to eating less, but the walking has helped self-esteem-wise (I'm in my late 40s with lifelong deep-seated issues with food/body image) and it's definitely the psychological reason I've been able to keep my eating under control after literally decades of yo-yo dieting and never getting below 11 stone since my mid-teens.

Mollydoggerson Thu 04-Jul-13 13:59:16

Hi,

ClarinetV2 thanks for telling us your story, it is very inspriational.

Yes I did get out last night, one hour fast walking. My whole body is tired today, I feel like i've been to the gym. Most interesting thing is, I really enjoyed it. Literally 5 steps out the door and I start to feel really good about it and when I get back in I think 'I'm starting to get addicted to walking!'.

So regardless of weight, it has got to be good for us (of course!).

I'm still 11 stone 5, but in nice proportions. I don't think I will ever get very thin given my liking of biscuits, but then again I think shapely bodies are attractive. I would like to loose one stone, that is all.

Movingforward123 Mon 08-Jul-13 12:00:26

Hiya spry I've not been on thread for a while! The walk to the shopping centre went well. Dd loved it grin

I have strayed walking a little and need to continue.

Do you think you need to br walking fast to get results and loose weight? Or do you think all walking helps?

I think I am going to tell my personal trainer that I'm stopping our sessions as I'm not following the sort plan and I feel I'm wasting my money confused but I feel bad to tell him!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now