'I need to join a gym but should lose weight first'

(18 Posts)
snowlie Thu 15-Aug-13 08:29:55

Get to the Gym or go for a brisk walk.
Exercise is great for you health whether it helps you lose weight or not. Don't wait until you have lost weight before you start exercising, your body will start to benefit from exercise the minute you start doing it!

TidyDancer Sat 10-Aug-13 18:06:57

Really good thank you. smile

Combo of diet and the regular gym trips and she's definitely lost a solid few stone. It's hard for me to say how much because I see her so often, but she's so pleased with herself. And rightly so. smile

Talkinpeace Sat 10-Aug-13 17:15:11

I remember that thread.
How is your friend doing.

TidyDancer Sat 10-Aug-13 15:54:20

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/a1581458-Fat-people-in-the-gym

OP, I had the above thread last year when my friend started coming to the gym with me. Hopefully it will help you. I hope you're not offended by the title, I don't want you to think I'm referring to you with it, but the lovely people on the thread I think may be good for you. smile

Babylonmoo Fri 09-Aug-13 08:43:53

In my experience gyms are not full of people with perfect bodies. They are full of people who are working out and enjoying their exercise time. Occasionally there is someone really ripped and nice to have a stare but mostly normal people in a range of shapes and sizes. Nobody will notice or judge you.

I saw a guy at the gym wearing a t shirt that said 'I may be slow but I'm quicker than the guy on the couch' and I thought 'Go you!' I find it very encouraging when I see people there who have a lot to lose because they are doing something positive to improve their health.

kestrel if I saw you in my gym I'd be giving you a silent cheer!

Talkinpeace Wed 07-Aug-13 17:00:58

Speaking as one of the skinnies at the gym
come and join
because nothing cheers us up more than knowing that there will be more of us soon grin

NatashaBee Wed 07-Aug-13 12:04:12

Nobody looks good at the gym - everyone gets red and sweaty! It will really get your weight loss going.

Moomintime Wed 07-Aug-13 11:29:34

I had this thought too, when you go, you'll be surprised at how not out of place you feel, good luck!

TeddyPickleStick Wed 07-Aug-13 11:18:18

Absolutely nobody cares what you look like in the gym ... however, although important to exercise, far more crucial is to get your eating habits under control. Weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% being more active - although this depends on what you weigh etc.

So, for example, if you weigh 18 stone, I'd concentrate on getting a good diet plan in place first before throwing myself into a gym regime. No point trying to tone up fat. Lose it first.

The best way is obviously a combination of the two. Light cardio plus some free weights plus a diet = weight loss.

Allthingspretty Mon 05-Aug-13 09:05:23

Nobody cares what you look like at the gym they are all just doing their own thing and you dont need to lose weight to join.

BsshBossh Sun 23-Jun-13 18:09:35

I thought the same OP and waited until I'd lost 3 stones before I joined a gym. Then I joined one and it's full of people of all sizes and no one bothers as we're all so busy with our workouts so I needn't have bothered waiting so long to join.

Having said that, you could do exercise routines from YouTube or DVDs, or start power walking round your park, or jog on the spot in your living room... lots of things you can do without a gym.

IvanaCake Sat 22-Jun-13 18:05:57

I feel exactly the same. There are a couple of classes at the local leisure centre that I would love to try, but having looked through the window a few times I would be twice the size of everyone there. Im way too self conscious and feel like I need to drop a couple of stone first.

Trills Sat 22-Jun-13 17:40:16

That is indeed ridiculous.

Go join the gym.

<stern>

melliebobs Sat 22-Jun-13 17:32:53

People in a gym are to busy doing their work out to be eyeing people up and making judgement.

HeySoulSister Sat 22-Jun-13 17:30:39

have to agree with leaky here on both points!

leakyliv Sat 22-Jun-13 15:23:34

Why on Earth would you worry about what some twat stranger thinks? If anyone looks at you and makes a judgement, if they have a brain and an once of humanity they'll simply think 'here's someone doing something about their fitness/health' No? BTW you don't need a Gym. Do some uphill walking, working up to jogging in time. Some sit ups etc. There are loads of get-fit-for -beginners videos you can do with just a little bit of floor space, on youtube.

HoveringKestrel Sat 22-Jun-13 13:29:15

I just caught myself thinking this and I know how stupid it is.

As unbelievably against the point a gym is, my rational is that I don't want to look ridiculous at the gym.

Please tell me someone else has had this thought?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now