Can I lose weight and still eat chocolate?

(45 Posts)
Choccywoccydiddlyboo Tue 18-Jun-13 22:55:52

I have about 11 lbs to lose and have tried low carb, with some success in the short term.

I don't eat wheat because it seems to aggravate my IBS. However I do want to be able to eat a little chocolate. Giving it up completely just makes me crave it more and when I'm hormonal I lose all willpower and go on a chocolate eating spree, putting all the weight back on in a couple of days. I feel like a real failure and just get depressed, causing me to eat more chocolate!

I'm rubbish at counting calories. I need something easy but that still allows me to live my life. Low carb suited me because I like meat and veg, not bothered about pasta, potato, bread at all, don't eat cake, just want a small chocolate bar!

Any way I can diet like that? I don't want to attend meetings, there's nothing local.

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Thu 20-Jun-13 14:26:48

Ooh that's interesting Reastie. Thanks.

Reastie Thu 20-Jun-13 13:54:32

hi, I've lost over 5.5 stone in the past year or so and I eat chocolate daily! The trick is the first taste of chocolate is the best. I did food science at uni and was taught this as fact! It's something to do with the melting temp of choc being the same as body temp. Each additional mouthful of chocolate you have you're looking to get the initial buzz but every time this gets less and less. Honestly, think about it this way when you eat chocolate and it's true! I eat 1 - 4 cubes of chocolate a day and savour each bit. I also have a high % cocoa chocolate as it's stronger and richer and you can't eat too much doesn't stop me trying though - the 85% cocoa stuff is great. I also have a low kcal hot choc at lunch to keep my choc cravings at bay.

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Thu 20-Jun-13 13:46:49

Thanks octopus. I know what you mean about Nigella, but she is naturally curvy in all the right places and very attractive, whereas I have no curves, just almost a stone I need to lose to look ok - hopefully! smile

Octopus37 Thu 20-Jun-13 12:28:56

Yes, you can eat chocolate and lose weight, just reduce the amount. Personally I think that chocolate does have some nutritional value, some vitamins and iron. My tip would be to keep a food diary and work out what you can do without and how you can reduce calories, without depriving yourself completley. I can do without crisps (haven't eaten any for two months now and don't miss them) but could not do without chocolate, cakes and the occasional drink. Also think that takeaways can be factored in. I'm certain that Nigella hasn't given up chocolate and she is my inspiration, when it comes to food management anyway. If you tell yourself you are allowed some chocolate it takes the pressure and failure factor away. Good luck.

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Thu 20-Jun-13 10:51:44

No, I don't drink diet drinks, never have done. Just decaff coffee black, no sugar, or water. My only vice is chocolate. I love crisps but try to stay away from them.

3Rules Thu 20-Jun-13 10:29:31

Hi Choccy,
Yes - is the answer! See my thread re 3 rules... Very simple, and its working. Slowly for me, but I'm not being very strict on rule 1 (too many occasions to eat cake!) But I can't be doing with calorie counting, and am too lazy busy for much exercise.
Logging what i eat has also been helpful, as I've become aware of all those little extras!
Hope this helps.
3rules

Shodan Thu 20-Jun-13 10:25:17

Do you drink diet drinks at all? I noticed I was having wicked chocolate cravings when I drank them.

Actually I was very bad- for a long time I drank about 1 1/2 litres of Pepsi Max a day ! Then I switched to flavoured water (which still has sweetener in) and then after a few weeks to plain water.

Result- no more chocolate cravings. I have some occasionally- maybe twice a week? But really don't feel the urge mostly.

cariadmawr Thu 20-Jun-13 10:13:39

Don't be hard on yourself about the choc we are all different and knowing you " should not have " makes me want more if I go gun hoe and get so serious about it that's it I lose track . I also didn't mention that I was on a diet or going to class to anyone apart from my dh for first month when I had lost a stone so there was no extra pressure to lose every week I ate choc at easter missed club for week but still lost 9 lbs the second week !

EldritchCleavage Thu 20-Jun-13 10:12:50

I agree with HeySoulSister it's most likely a sugar craving, but chocolate is your favourite sugar delivery system (and mine!).

I don't buy a full size bar. If you buy it, you eat it. I buy tiny ones, usually when I'm out, and just have that. It helps to break ALL your habits, so if you used to sit and have choc in front of the TV in the evening, avoid eating it then as it reinforces your habit.

Eating cinnamon is apparently supposed to help quell sugar cravings, and I do find eating highly flavoured stuff generally (curry etc) seems to help.

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Thu 20-Jun-13 09:33:28

Thanks. I hope that if I know I can have SOME chocolate, I won't crave it as much. I know it's just in my head.

HoobleDooble Thu 20-Jun-13 08:21:13

I'm on WeightWatchers and have a chocolate biscuit or small bar most days, for example, a Time Out sinle finger bar is only 2 points (out of a daily allowance of 30 PLUS 49 weekly points it really isn't much!).

As long as it's a small, measured amount, and you're not inhaling pies, pizza or fried/cheese laden food at every meal, it doesn't hurt.

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Thu 20-Jun-13 08:09:41

I'm just being realistic. I have tried to cut all sweet things out completely and succeeded for a while. But stress and hormones have that effect on me and I'm just looking for a way to incorporate a little chocolate when I like instead of losing the plot and stuffing myself because I feel I can't have any. This is what has been happening for the past half year. I lose half the weight I want to lose then hormones/stress kick in and I stuff myself and put it back on.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not looking for criticism, just wondering how others incorporate treats and still lose weightsmile I'm hoping for damage limitation! wink

CaptainSweatPants Thu 20-Jun-13 07:06:14

Don't want to sound mean but your posts are very I can't do this, I won't do that

I used to be like that too

But when you really want to lose weight you do what it takes

Eating chocolate every day isn't necessary & it isn't good for you

You can eat chocolate on a low carb diet - I eat 85% cocoa and above

cariadmawr Wed 19-Jun-13 22:36:23

Loads fruit and veg I struggle thinking about what to eat except for main meals and also you need to eat all meals no skipping which is what I tend to do . I've got about 4 stone more to go so not putting pressure as I seem to give up after about 2 months . I also need the group weighing rather than doing it on my own always have support from others who try something different and have variations on recipes that may suit

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Wed 19-Jun-13 22:18:29

But what sort of stuff do you eat Cariad and are you often hungry? I don't eat carbs so can't fill up with pasta etc

cariadmawr Wed 19-Jun-13 22:13:26

Hi again I'm disabled so can't exercise as such but honestly slimming world do much better than previously lost 3 lbs this week had some choc but crisps my down fall if I can't have would kill.to get them !!

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Wed 19-Jun-13 20:20:34

Thanks smile

decaffwithcream Wed 19-Jun-13 20:14:52

Sainburys basics brand is the lowest carb and has more oil than the other ones.

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Wed 19-Jun-13 18:44:27

Thanks, Decaff, I love peanut butter, will try that. Any particular peanut butter? I don't like the stuff that is just nuts without fat/sugar.

decaffwithcream Wed 19-Jun-13 18:25:25

If you like dark chocolate, peanut butter on dark chocolate is very rich and satisfies all sorts of cravings while being pretty low carb if the chocolate is proper dark stuff.

Also these truffles are just dark choc and double cream www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/18/nigel-slater-classic-chocolate-truffles

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Wed 19-Jun-13 18:13:59

CMOT, that's great, well done!

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Wed 19-Jun-13 18:13:27

I don't think I could cope with entering everything on MyFitnessPal all the time, I'd forget and then not be able to remember what I had!

Choccywoccydiddlyboo Wed 19-Jun-13 18:11:05

Thanks for all the replies smile

What's MFP?

I'll have a look at India and Nerys's book, didn't know it allowed chocolate, I thought it was just low carb.

Megsdaughter Wed 19-Jun-13 14:36:56

Lost almost 5 stone with MFP and I have chocolate whenever I want it.
I keep in the little mars bars and have one now and then.
Because know they are there and I can have one, I tend not to bother

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now