Healthy, Revolutionary and Gorgeous!

(1000 Posts)
SixPackWellies Sun 26-May-13 08:25:07

Good morning Fellow Revolutionaries. Welcome to Thread 2!

Me today:

coffee with soy milk
2 ryvitas with half an avocado
spicy tomato soup (homemade) with a green salad
Small portion of roast pork, with lost of veg, a tablespoon of gravy!

Onwards and Downwards!

SixPackWellies Tue 02-Jul-13 10:47:33

Hazel if you are still bad for the rest of the day, please see if you can get an earlier appointment, or something for tomorrow. It does not sound 'right'.

If you get worse, doctors asap. The 19th is weeks away.

Emilythornesbff Tue 02-Jul-13 11:38:14

Hazel call your GP and make an appointment for today.
Do it.

Emilythornesbff Tue 02-Jul-13 11:54:07

While we wait for hazel to get back to us I have to share my lunch details. (early lunch with DS following the principle of "eat when you're hungry")
Well. My oh my I had a falafel wrap: whole meal tortilla, falafel, lettuce, red pepper, avocado, tzaziki, garlic sauce. All that wouldn't fit in one small wrap so I had two blush. Stunning. Very filling (because I am greedy and had two). But I need something sweet so had a petit fills, a slice of watermelon and a handful of Cheerios. Yes. Cheerios (well Lidl equivalent).
I realised that falafel wraps have been sadly lacking in my life and am now totally sated.
Now I must concentrate on not snacking between now and lunch.
So tired btw.

Ok hazel made that appointment yet?

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 02-Jul-13 12:08:36

I need to call them at 2pm to see if there are any appointments for this afternoon (sometimes I love the system our surgery runs, other times it makes me weep). If I can't get one today, I'll call at 8am tomorrow. At the very worst, I'll only have to wait until Friday as they run a triage service on Fridays.

Mmm...falafel.

Oh, I've failed a bit and had a bag of mini cheddars as I needed something to take a painkiller with (DH nags me about taking them on an empty stomach). Headache isn't as bad as it was. I'm still shattered though.

SixPackWellies Tue 02-Jul-13 13:03:27

Keep us posted Hazel and hopefully you can get in today.

thanks

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 02-Jul-13 15:36:29

No appointment today. My own fault, so feel free to nag me! I haven't called them this afternoon because DH and I share a vehicle and right now, he's using it and will be until about 5pm. The likelihood of me getting an appointment after 5pm was slim to none. I shall call at 8am. I'm hoping an evening of doing bugger all will help me to feel better too.

Emilythornesbff Tue 02-Jul-13 17:56:30

Good luck with that later appointment hazel

Btw. Those of you on dry July. I may have a surprise recipe for you to try in August.....

LegoCaltrops Tue 02-Jul-13 21:39:34

Hazel just caught up, poor you! Hopefully it's just a migraine or stress or something? Glad you've decided to try & get an earlier appointment.

Emily you have made me want falafel now. I don't like wraps though. DH scoffs them at every possible opportunity but I'm a rice girl personally.

Today I had:
B porridge with small tsp strawberry jam (homemade on Sunday yummy!)
L Ryvitas with butter, Marmite, & piece of cheese.
D steak & chips, couple of onion rings.
S couple of homemade chocolate truffles.

Appetite is back...effing starving.

O&D FRs

Emilythornesbff Wed 03-Jul-13 01:20:14

legoCaltrops what a superb menu. Mmmmmm.
NFD for me tomorrow. I'm must try to avoid rubbish.
Walked 3 miles with he pram today. Only managed a few abs exercises and 10 push up though grin

Hazelbrowneyes Wed 03-Jul-13 08:27:26

Thanks lego you’ve made me realise how much I want steak & chips though envy

Emily I think you should let us in on that surprise now, especially if it’s a summery drink as the weekend is forecast to be hot grin

Lets get the food out the way before I start on more “WOE IS ME” talk.

Yesterday:
B – soft boiled egg with ½ slice best of both
L – mugshot
D – breaded lemon sole with oven chips and peas
S – fruit, mini cheddars, croissant, milk lolly

GAH. WHY WHY WHY can I not stop eating?!

Today:
B – none
L – egg sandwiches grin
D – whatever we pick up when we go food shopping later, DH fancies veg stirfry and that is fine with me.
S – I’m aiming for none.

So, on to the “WOE IS ME” – I am actually feeling a little better today. Headache gone, tingles are still here, I do still ache all over, I have bad stomach cramps, a sore throat and I’m cold. So I think I either have a bug or a cold. The tingles are still worrying me I must admit (especially as I googled. Never google.)

As I’m developing more cold like symptoms I think I will wait until Friday before booking an appointment to see how things are then. As it is, I couldn’t go today anyway as DH is using the car. Definitely need to get that second vehicle sorted.

Food shop tonight and DH has promised not to rush me around the store like normal so I might spend lunchtime looking at some recipes for some new dishes that are healthy, yummy and filling. Anything to stop me snacking, really. Oh and breakfast ideas…I’m feeling egged out. So if you have any ideas, please share smile

Thanks so much for all your concern yesterday, I’m a bit blush at how “all about me” I was yesterday! xx

Bakingnovice Wed 03-Jul-13 08:48:22

Hazel good to hear you're feeling better!

Emily - well done with the walk. I love walking. It's like silent therapy. How's the fasting going? Are you still losing?

Lego - mmm. Great menu. ESP the porridge with jam. Reminded me of the rice pudding my mum used to make with a big dollop of jam in the middle. Good to hear your appetite is picking up.

Wellies - have you busted past 10.6 yet? Hope so.

What's with all the falafel love? Might have to try some.

It was nfd yesterday and for the first time in yonks I ordered pizza for tea. Wasn't hungry for tea so had huge bowl of homemade fruit salad with Greek yoghurt. I swear the minute I had that I was ravenous. Ended up ordering pizza and having it with the kids. As soon as I finished eating I started feeling really guilty. Have shredded already today and will run in a bit. Feeling ok and ready for a fast today. I'm beginning to wonder if 4:3 fasting is what is holding me back from fasting. Just wish I could break this plateau. And I'm sure I won't lose this week either thanks to pizza and TOMapproaching.

To end on a positive, I am living the running! I feel incredible.

Emilythornesbff Wed 03-Jul-13 09:25:08

hazel grin I may reveal the recipe this weekend. Hmm.....
Breakfast? It's a PITA. Easier to skip it rbh. Or yogurt, fruit, muesli.

I read something interesting about snacking. Basically we shouldn't be doing it shock but best to use it as a way to get in our elusive "5 a day" bla bla.
Actually, it's not that interesting is it?
Check your inbox please.

baking hello. Agree about positives of both walking and running. (not sure my pelvic floor can cope with running grin.)
Fasting going well thanks, and I'm losing. My BMI was 25 when I started and GP said it was 21 yesterday. Hurrah!
I struggled with 4:3. It's better for me on 5:2 and I totally know what you mean about getting hungry once you start eating.
Fasting days are tough but easier than stopping on a NFD IYSWIM. I still crave (and eat) sweet stuff.
Maybe drop back to 5:2 for a bit. Less arduous.
Plateau will pass soon.

Emilythornesbff Wed 03-Jul-13 09:27:44

Oh and don't feel bad about the pizza. In the 5:2 book reference is made to a US study that showed eating high calorie foods on NFDs had no negative impact on weight loss, in fact the "pizza" group showed slightly greater losses than the healthy food group.

SixPackWellies Wed 03-Jul-13 11:07:49

Morning all.

Hazel I hope you feel 100% soon. Do go to the dr though.... rule out anything. smile

I am not a great one for breakfast either. This morning I just had a bowl of veg soup as I really do not like 'breakfasty' foods. Fruit and yohurt I do like, but that seems to make me even more hungry.

me today:

Bk - veg soup and a slice of toast
Ln- as above with some grapes and an orange
Dn- lamb casserole with rice.

Dry July! I am rocking those herbal teas.

I barely eat any fruit, so my aim is to increase that.

One positive.... um. I am a loyal friend. Have I said that one before? I am running out of things!!

Have GREAT days everyone!

SixPackWellies Wed 03-Jul-13 11:08:58

Oh... I am not dared weigh myself to see if I got to 10.6 Baking blush but I am sure I have not. I plan to weigh on Friday, after 4 Dry July days and see if there has been a downwards trend. smile

Hazelbrowneyes Wed 03-Jul-13 16:59:25

Snackage failure...

1 packet of salt n shake and a time out later...

What the heck is wrong with me? I want to lose weight so why am I unable to stop shovelling food in my mouth? sad

LegoCaltrops Thu 04-Jul-13 00:07:42

Hazel glad you're feeling a bit better. Hope you continue to improve! my usual summer breakfast is either:
fruit, plain yoghurt, & muesli, or
muesli & half a grated apple soaked overnight in some pure orange juice, then in the morning add a splodge of yoghurt & some berries or other fruit if you want. Yummy.
Porridge is good but not for very warm days.

Emily I am also intrigued about this drink recipe.

I have also been stuck on current weight (10. 6) for a month now, I think. Am fed up of this plateau. Food seems like such a chore sometimes. Accidentally ate 6 crisps at work last week, I am still craving them. I am never eating crisps again, I am a total crisp addict & can't have just a couple. Thank goodness I finished work before I ate too many...

Good thing about me - I love knitting and I'm actually getting fairly good at it. I started learning about 5-6 years ago & I like making lacy stuff & cable (where it looks like it's got a plaited pattern on it) mostly I make things for DD at the moment, I've nearly finished making this in pale purple for DD. Hope it fits!

O&D FRs

Emilythornesbff Thu 04-Jul-13 08:59:49

legocaltrops I know what you mean about food being a chore.
Well, certainly thinking about eating healthily (or in a way that will indice weight loss) every day.

'fession time:
I have dieted since my early teens (oops blush ) and usually successfully tbh due to being very good at fixating on a given project.
So, although I've often been unhappy with my size and shape I've never actually been obese.
I have done atkins, various magazine 7 day low fat diets, rosemary Connelly, calorie counting, slimming world, slimfast, grapefruit and coffee diets, the vogue diet, F plan, smoking lots rather than eating, "sensible eating", portion control, Paul mckenna's "I can make you slim (good principles there), the Kellogg's diet, the maple syrup diet, the cabbage soup diet....... Probably more but you get the idea. They ALL work for a few weeks (2-4 tops).
My most successful weight loss plans (those which were easiest to follow rather than just effective IYSWIM) have been "eating less because I was happy in a new relationship (always a winner) and 5:2.
As it's really very disruptive (and increasingly difficult with advancing years) to change DP frequently I have to wholeheartedly recommend 5:2 as a way to lose weight.

Having said that I am fasting today and feel a bit envy Reading lego's breakfast choices. Mmmmmm.
But tomorrow I won't have to think about it at all.
Although obviously I should (and try to) give some thought to healthy food formy family

Ooh, monologue over.
As you were.
O&D FRs.

Bakingnovice Thu 04-Jul-13 09:16:54

Lego your knitting project looks fab. Well done!

Emily - loved your monologue. I've done every diet too. I love 5:2 but struggle to lose on it. Last time I l

I'm feeling utterly crap today. Had a headache since yesterday and TOM looming. It's a nfd and I can't be bothered to make any breakfast. I have no energy. Might just laze around until the hunger pangs kick in.

Hazelbrowneyes Thu 04-Jul-13 09:51:27

Morning!

Well yesterday went from bad to worse. Didn’t leave work until 7pm so DH didn’t fancy food shopping, nor did he fancy cooking, instead he wanted to go out for dinner. We ended up in the local pub. He’s doing so well at the “not drinking” this week…not. I, thankfully, am doing much better. We shared 3 “small plates” (3 for £10, not bad!) cod goujons, mushroom & cheese risotto balls (delicious) and chips with jalapenos. Lovely, filling and cheap. I stuck to lime & soda. To be fair, DH did only have 2 pints, but after promising me on Sunday that he wouldn’t drink this week, he’s had a few every night. I’m yet to touch a drop.

I’ve had egg for breakfast and will probably have a mugshot for lunch. Dinner will be whatever we buy as we definitely need to go food shopping. Feeling quite miserable about the whole losing weight business today. I just can’t seem to find anything to motivate me to stop snacking. It’s depressing, to be honest.

Lego I have to admit I dislike porridge and muesli. I think it’s a texture thing. blush Sorry to hear you’re feeling a bit fed up. I think our bodies like to plateau for a while, just to play games with us.

Emily I have also dieted since my early teens. Not as successfully as I’d have hoped for (I have never, ever had a flat stomach) but I remember being 13 and doing the cabbage soup diet with my mum. I have always been self conscious of my stomach, quite possibly because every female in my family holds their weight around their stomachs. I’d love to do 5:2 but I just don’t think I could cope, I get so arsey if I’m hungry – not great when I’m dealing with customers!

baking sorry to hear you’re feeling crap today xx

SixPackWellies Thu 04-Jul-13 10:34:36

Morning everyone.

Cod goujons Hazel. Yum.
Lego I am so envious you can knit!!
thanks Baking. We all seem to have been feeling crap this week.
Em I have also dieted constantly since my teens. It is so depressing.

Well, tbh Hazel I broke Dry July last night. DH was having a scotch after dinner so I had a G&T. blush. I beat myself up about it overnight. Back to dry july today.

Me:

B- coffee and milk
L- out for lunch to a pub. Am planning to stick to something light.
D- small serving lamb casserole and a side salad.

I am finding the whole losing weight thing depressing too. I self sabotage, and just hate myself. I hold my weight around mys tomach too, and at the weekend was asked if I was pg again.

xxxxx FR

Emilythornesbff Thu 04-Jul-13 12:08:12

Sorry you're feeling crappy baking

Where's our motivation gone revs?

Firstly, self sabotage is inevitable. There is food all around us, we have evolved to eat u til we pop grin and most of use food to affect our emotions.
So we diet.
But we can't do it e dry day.
I read "fat girl thin" and in that book the author says she has maybe one day a month when she pigs it on her fave food, to make the rest of it bearable.
It's too hard to keep up the concentration all the time.

I often self sabotage.
Things I find useful in avoiding this:
Keep food in the house that is both healthy and that I like eating
Eat nothing that I don't want to (eating fucking rice cakes just because they are low in calories is pointless)
Stay goal-focused. Imagine myself t desired shape/size ( men seem to be very good at being goal focused, which is why they seem to lose weight with success when they cba to try)
Remember that "nothing tastes as good as being slim feels"

When I stopped smoking I used Allen Carr's "easy way" and one of the things he said was that it's important to remember that smoking doesn't make you feel relaxed, or happy or confident or whatever. It just meets your craving for nicotine.
I think the same is true about food. So I wonder if it's worth just "having a word" with myself before comfort eating (have to be quick).
I feel the same (or worse) after eating the biscuit(s) so I might. Well not eat it then I can feel pleased with myself for abstaining. Obviously this is all easier said than done but it's a start (I think)

And one of the things that 5:2 has helped me with is comfort eating. Because I now go an entire day twice a week without eating anything so I am becoming used to not comfort eating.
I still eat rubbish on NFDs and that needs addressing but I don't think I comfort eat as much. I used to.

hazel sounds like you're doing well with your dry(ish) July.

No beating Selves up wellies it's only a G&T. envy

Oh. Monologue clearly not over grin

LegoCaltrops Thu 04-Jul-13 20:15:22

Diet fail. It involved cake, chips & ice cream. (over the day, not all at once). Bugger.

Maybe there is something in the air today, we have all fallen to the demon of self sabotage.

Damn Damn Damn.

Emilythornesbff Thu 04-Jul-13 21:21:09

Was it nice llego?

Jump back up on the wagon. We're all on it together.
I am seriously addressing my snacking tomorrow.
Just saying.

SixPackWellies Fri 05-Jul-13 06:21:20

Good morning.

Good, wise words Emily. I am also back on the bandwagon.

Today I am addressing: having a word with myself before I eat anything and ask myself if it is 'worth it', nutritionally and calorie wise.

I am also going to stay focused on my goal. You are right what you say about men being able to focus. I am going to use that as a motivation.

Today:

coffee with soy milk, fruit and yoghurt
Carrot and coriander soup
BBQ chicken and a HUGE salad

elderflower fizzy water all day!

This thread is not accepting new messages.