My water diet

(259 Posts)
amazingmumof6 Sat 25-May-13 09:51:42

I need to loose weight. but how?

I'm far too busy to concentrate on what I eat, how much and when.

It stresses met out when I have to prepare special foods & drinks for myself in advance because we are going to a friends' or have guests or travelling or whatever.

We have 6 kids and I'm just so busy. 4 at school, 2 at home, there's always something more important than weighing and calculating my little portions of pasta.
I always get interrupted and distracted.

Plus baby is only 13 months and is a mummy's girl, so I rarely get anything done - like tidying or being organized.
I'm not even going to talk about lack of sleep.

the house is a mess and I DH is about to have an operation, then there are holidays and birthdays and so on. It's just too much.

Weight Watchers always worked for me, so my plan is to go back in September, but as for now I can not fully commit to it.
I can't do it half-arsed.

that's all very well, but what about for the next 3 months?
my birthday is at the end of August and we are going on holiday and I really want to loose about 2 stones (which I did with WW 2 years ago, so I know I can) and wear my prettier clothes and feel just healthier.

So I came up with an idea.

WATER DIET!

I've heard countless of times and from various sources that half the time (or so) we eat because we are thirsty, not hungry. that not enough water is one of the reasons we over-eat.

so I thought that I will drink 2 litres of water everyday and will not worry about what I eat and when and how much. And see if that makes a difference.

See if it helps me reduce cravings, if it fills me up to reduce food intake.
or flush out toxins. or help me feel less tired.
And most importantly if it helps me to get slimmer.
I've got nothing to loose - just the extra weight!grin

Join me if you like.

I am joining.

I am doing mfp too. Only lost 2lbs though. And I need to get back into drinking water. I feel dehydrated most of the time. I too could go a whole day without drinking a drop.

So from tomorrow I shall be sipping!

amazingmumof6 Tue 28-May-13 09:06:56

goog morning Water Club! welcome newbies!smile

it's funny how such a simple thing is actually quite hard to do!
To remember it, then to do it!

I'd like to say that there's no such thing as failure here.
ANY amount of water is better than none!

so if you manage 2 glasses/ day just do that say for a week. then increase it to 3 glasses etc.

I noticed that I've actually started to feel thirsty and I just go by that.

But it is so easy to ignore the signals of thirst. and with busy lives we get distracted so we go, ok I'll drink some water in a minute.
then 6 hours later we realize we've done nothing!

carrying my bottle around does help with instant access!

Sipping through first bottle of the day.
Good luck everyone, be focused!wink

Kneedeepindaisies Tue 28-May-13 09:12:14

I'm watching with interest too. I definitely don't drink enough water and I need to lose weight!

Bertrude Tue 28-May-13 09:15:23

Increased water intake = increased activity levels through additional pee trips wink so getting more towards your 10,000 steps a day.

Over the last couple of years I've managed to get myself to drink 2-3 litres a day minimum (hot climate so need the extra) and I find the easy way is to make sure you have plenty available easily. I'm sitting here with 4 x 500ml bottles on my desk for the day (2 down already but its 12:15pm here). One will be taken for my drive home. Then a 750ml flask for during Zumba later and a pint glass taken to bed with me.

Whale2Waif Tue 28-May-13 11:20:59

After only drinking 2 pints yesterday I went this morning and bought a 1.5l bottle. I have it open next to me whilst watching biggest loser and I've nearly finished the bottle.

amazingmumof6 Tue 28-May-13 22:42:34

on 4th bottle now!

I don't know whether it's due to my AF or really miserable weather, but I was hungry like a wolf all day.
had 3 big meals and no snacks.

It wasn't boredom, I was busy all day. I was actually hungry and still am. I will probably have a light meal.
no idea what's going on.

Haven't had any headaches for days, very unusual as I'm prone to them ( and migraines too).

amazingmumof6 Tue 28-May-13 22:48:36

and although I deliberately haven't started eating way healthier ( kebab last night, burger & chips for lunch!) I feel like I might.

today I really fancied some roasted butternut squash & courgettes with splash of garlic oil, but couldn't go shopping.
I think my body is fed up eating rubbish. literally.

The day I give up mayo , if ever, will be a turning point. not ready yet.

Doodledumdums Wed 29-May-13 00:42:03

I am also not ready to give up mayo...don't think I ever will be to be honest!

Whale2Waif Wed 29-May-13 09:45:12

See, this it's why I'm fat. Mayo and no willpower, however this morning I gave in to a different temptation. The scales.

amazingmumof6 Wed 29-May-13 09:56:54

whale (whispering): I did that too!
after my crazy apettite yesterday I judt had too. sssshhhhh

morning all!

last night I had a bit more water, but didn't wake up to go to the loo.
interesting.

DH upset me this morning and my immediate reaction was to eat chocolate or icecream for breakfast, but I clutched my water bottle instead and resisted the urge.
1 bottle done.
not hungry, but bloody annoyed.angry

Whale2Waif Wed 29-May-13 11:50:35

amazing are you an emotional eater too?

I was quite pleased with the scales. 1lb off but needed after spending bank holiday stuffing my face with cake entertaining family.

Dontwanttobeyourmonkeywrench Wed 29-May-13 17:52:46

I did well today (3 bottles down) but I'll need it even more tomorrow since I'm heading out for a girly night with my mates and we have loads to celebrate! I find that the more I drink the less I feel the need to snack. Total emotional eater, especially when bored so trying to keep busy. Painted my nails so now can't snack till they dry grin

amigababy Wed 29-May-13 18:13:43

not ready to join yet as I'm on holiday and it's just easier to wait till I get home on Saturday. But, daft me, I had a tea tree and pomegranate soft drink yesterday and the plastic bottle is such great quality I've kept it ( closet hoarder ) so it will be my 500 XML bottle of choice.

harryhausen Wed 29-May-13 18:53:59

I'll join you oOP

I've been trying a virtual gastric band app. It seems to sink in for a few days and then I self sabotageconfused
Anyway, on that system the main rule is to drink 2 liters of water a day. Basically, it does stop you snacking, picking and mistaking thirst for hunger etc. On the vgb support FB page, people have lost stones and stones. Mainly through the water thing (and smaller portion sizes because of it).

Like you, I'm on holiday in the sun for the first time in 10 years. The thought of being in a swim suit is actually stopping me getting excited about it. In fact I'm terrified. And it's so sad because me and DH really need this holiday to relax. I need to loose 4 stone, but would be happy with 2. I'm going at the end of August.

harryhausen Wed 29-May-13 18:59:35

I'm definitely an emotional eater. I can wait and wait until proper hunger signals....then can't stop and end up binging.

I have tried every diet out there. I have a very sedentary job. I need to exercise. The only way to fit it in is to get up an hour earlier. I should do that. Definitely.

amazingmumof6 Wed 29-May-13 19:18:32

amiga and harry - welcome both of you!

this is very informal and we'll be here when you are ready.
I've only managed 1 litre so far, but will do my target 1.5 by the end of the day.

It is so nice that it is the only thing I have to focus on.

whale I'll do my proper weigh in on Friday and will let you all know, but today's cheat is encouraging. that's all I'm going to reveal.

Another thing, I almost never have breakfast. it's a very bad habit if mine, but I just don't feel hungry until about 11am. some days I can go without food till 1pm or even 3pm.

today I was actually hungry at about 10am, but had to go out, so had a massive sandwich at noon because by then I was ravenous and felt light headed (had half a baguette with ham, avocado, mozzarella and bbq sauce, was delicious!) and only had an almond croissant since (that was the emotional eating talking!).

I actually think that drinking this much water is starting to give my body a chance to give me the signals when I'm actually hungry - if that makes sense.
And when it does I feel absolutely starving. that is new and encouraging.

tomorrow I will try to eat breakfast as soon as I'm hungry.
eating breakfast with 30 mins-1h of waking up is apparently one of the good habits slim people have.

and I keep meaning to say: thank you all for joining - or watching, it is so nice to have buddies instead of struggling alone!

CaptainSweatPants Wed 29-May-13 19:21:05

Hi guys

Sorry to be thick but is 4 x 500ml bottles = 2 litres?

amazingmumof6 Wed 29-May-13 19:24:04

yes captain, it is.

I'll copy out some convertion for you in a minute

CaptainSweatPants Wed 29-May-13 19:29:46

That's fab thanks
I take a 500ml bottle to work so now I know how many times to refill it !

amazingmumof6 Wed 29-May-13 19:35:00

1 litre = 1000 ml

( 1 litre of water weighs 1kgs ( 1000 grams) as a lot of metric measurements are based on with different aspects of properties of water.
it was decided that the degree water freezes should be 0 Celsius degree, boiling point will be a hundred and just divided the rest in between accordingly and so on.)

1 pint = 568 ml

so if you drink 4 pints of water a day, you drink slightly more than 2 litres.

amazingmumof6 Thu 30-May-13 15:14:49

today had been challenging.

Yesterday I had a very bad day and just couldn't fall asleep again.

consequently today I'm very tired and snappy and stuck inside with all the kids who are doing my head in.

I only started drinking water after about 11am, by then I was picking bits of food but no proper breakfast as was hoping too. it is unbelievable the how kids can distract me from doing anything really.

I just want to eat cake, to feel better. good thing I don't have any.

it is quite cold here again, heating's on, but my toes are still freezing. I think I'll make some soup to warm me up - and take my mind off cake.

2 bottles done, but what a struggle.

Emilythornesbff Thu 30-May-13 16:48:06

How's it going amazingmum ?
Have you weighed yourself or is it too soon?
I read your post and have been trying to drink more water.
Doing 5:2 but still, need to hydrate myself and you have inspired me.

And I can't seem to do anything when DCs are awake either. I don't know how some ppl manage. smile
Thanks for the thread

harryhausen Thu 30-May-13 18:25:45

I've only managed 750ml on my first day so far. I'll have to go some this eve!

amazingmumof6 Thu 30-May-13 19:16:15

very sloooow day,
I'm now getting quite exhausted - hence just had a hot choc and an almond croissant. proper comfort eating.
plus hot choc warmed me up a bit.

I'm going to weigh on Friday and I'm worried that there will be no positive difference.

I'm just not feeling it today - it's crazy how such a seemingly simple and easy thing is just so difficult to do on certain days!

I think I'm a bit bored as well, which is also another thing that usually makes me want to eat.

list of things that make me want to eat/overeat - other than actual hunger:
- tired
- bored
- stressed & frustrated
- sad
- happy
- watching telly and seeing food adverts
- travelling
- being at a party/coz it's there
- angry
- eating up leftovers

that's about it.

no wonder I'm overweight!

I'm bloody minded though and will finish what I started.
I think I just need a good night sleep so I can be more focused tomorrow.

well done for all your achievements so far, you give me strength just by telling me how you are getting on!

thank you!

nice to see you here EmilyThornesbbf! wink <waves>

amazingmumof6 Thu 30-May-13 21:58:46

finished 3rd bottle, just drank the whole thing in one go. done.
ended up starting a 4th..

I think it's good that I could stick to 1.5 litres/day so far, but I feel it's actually not enough.

from Friday my target will be 3.5 bottles/day (about 1.75 l).
1.5 l is not enough, 2 l is too much, somewhere in between seems manageable.

going to bed soon. nightnight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now