The Paul McKenna Thread Number 12. A Simple Title, for Simple Weight Loss and All amongst Friends!!

(950 Posts)
Solo Sun 19-May-13 11:04:03

Welcome to thread 12 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition, it's about enjoying what you are putting in your mouth, but not feeling bloated and uncomfortable (or guilty) afterwards!
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we may have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!! Let's get lighter for those summer clothes!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry ~ NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several...if we can get into a smaller size for summer, just think how we could look for next Christmas!

ppeatfruit Sun 07-Jul-13 14:00:35

sad about your mum rules did you ever discuss it with her?

Rulesgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 15:46:46

No. I just believed that that was the way things are. You do when your a child don't you. Even as an adult she would judge me by my size and I always failed to come up to her expectations. I would diet myself down a stone or two before I would go to visit her just to get her approval. I now have a very warped mirror view of myself and do not see what others see. I think I was very lucky that I never developed bulimia or anorexia really. My saving grace was that I loved food too much (lol). I didn't discuss it with her however I did have therapy to deal with my childhood. Still I believe it has made me a better parent especially to my daughter who has grown up with no food issues at all. I have always provided all and any food in our house including chocolate crisps cakes etc so my children have never seen chocolate or cakes as treats. They just see them Therefore they hardly ever bother eating them really and chocolate can be in our house for weeks with no one touching it. Its just food, not bad not good. She is a size 8 with a gorgeous little figure and eats food whenever she is hungry and eats quite a lot actually but her weight stays the same. So although I have huge food hangups at least my children don't. smile...thanks for asking.

Rulesgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 15:47:52

By the way, my daughter is now 23.

ppeatfruit Sun 07-Jul-13 16:38:18

It's a shame Rules Though funnily I never thought my body was 'right' but I put that down to doing ballet and always comparing myself to the other smaller slimmer girls (and I wasn't fat) weird isn't it?

Rulesgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 16:40:54

Paul McKenna woe is very good for teaching women how to have a normal healthy relationship with food again as he shows that food is just that

Rulesgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 16:42:59

Did you have food issues as a child or adult * pp*.?

Rulesgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 16:45:07

pp I believe ballet is very unforgiving with regard to women's weight. Most end up bulimic and distorted body images.

Rulesgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 16:57:25

Thing is though Im a very positive person who always looks at life as glass half full live in the moment type. So although it was all quite crap I have never allowed things to get me down. You have to make the most of your life as it is, don't you. Find happiness in the smallest simplest things..... (shut me up please...I'm really on one today ar' nt I...haha. Hope everyone is enjoying this glorious weather. grin grin grin grin

Hello ladies.

I suspect Rules, that your glass half full mentality is probably what saved you from a full blown eating disorder. You naturally have a positive outlook so although your body image is distorted you haven't let it define you. Just a bit of pop pschology for you though. wink

I'm not sure it is glorious weather - too hot for me, delicate English rose that I am.grin On the plus side, it kills my appetite when it is this hot which is not a bad thing. We had chicken, new potatoes and salad for lunch which has to be an improvement on a roast which is v. hard to refuse. That always tests my resolve to stop when I have had enough.

We bought DS2 a bike yesterday. He is nearly 10 and can't ride one so we thought we ought to do something before he moves into yr 5 and has to do cycling proficiency. DS1 can't ride a bike because of his dyspraxia so it isn't something that we do in our family but DS2 needs a bit of independence and some exercise during the school hols so we thought it would be a good time to get him one. He is doing OK but it is too hot to be outside practicing today, particularly the bit where I hold him up whilst he practices pedalling. <<wilts>> Hopefully he will get it soon.

Anyway, whilst we were in the bike shop I noticed a very lovely 'sit up and beg' bike which is tempting me back to having a go at cycling, something I haven't done since school really. I don't want one of these modern bikes where you have to have the right gear. I want one with a mud guard and a parcel shelf and a pastel coloured frame - all very ladylike. grin

BTW Rules, which bit of Wales are you in? PIL live in N Wales, Colwyn Bay. Are you up the top of Wales like them or down south?

By gear, I mean the right clothing not mechanical gear btw. I don't want to have to get changed just to go for a bike ride. <<lazy>>

Rulesgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 19:47:26

Hi BBB. You know what, I think your right. I was left alone a lot in my childhood as I was an only child and my parents were always going out day and night and leaving me alone (I know, wouldn't happen today would it shock. I was a latchkey kid and went to boarding school later on while my parents went to Europe but I think all that just made me a very independent person who always looked for ways to make herself happy and feel secure.
So, Colwyn Bay.....I live near Caernarfon. (small world).
I love the sound of your bike. With all the hills and mountains this end and the fact that I live out in the sticks a bike has to be a mountain bike otherwise I would be forever off and pushing it lol.
I have just spent an hour in my outside shed gym and I was sweating so much I actually dripped.....hows that for unladylike!!! Had a lovely bath after and then had a Magnum White ice cream. Divine. I am now actually off to make chicken, new potatoes and salad with garlic and parsley butter. Yum!!!
DH and I had a lovely day in Llandudno yesterday. Just browsing around Waterstones, had coffee and cake and then went for a walk along the seafront. smile

Tinwe Sun 07-Jul-13 20:09:14

Hello all, "old" and new! smile

Been reading all your posts and feeling re inspired to get back on track, thanks. Anyone feeling bad for wandering off the rules, I'm right alongside you today. I've had another week with minimal weight loss despite being fairly good ending in an unrelated to the lack of weight loss splurge today...

Took DH DD1 and 2 for an icecream but they gave us huge portions and after a long while the girls still weren't leaving til it was all gone, so I 'shared' their icecream between them (and me) to speed things up. I'd already had my portion and really didn't want anymore (honest) but shovelling a bit into my mouth when they weren't looking definitely saved a tantrum or two! confused Then unexpected guests this afternoon lead to an impromptu barbecue whereas I probably wouldn't have eaten til this evening or tomorrow otherwise. NOT a very mindful day.

Plus my blooming cold is still lingering since last Tuesday so I'm constantly blowing my nose and I've pulled a muscle in my bum doing exercise! grin

Oh, I've been to Caernarfon! Nice place! It isn't very far from CB, is it?! I think Llandudno is one of my favourite places in N Wales. One of our regular trips is to walk along the end of the pier and buy hot chocolate or an ice cream, depending on what time of year it is (we go for a week in February). We usually go to Waterstones as well as walking around the quieter side on the West Shore. It is indeed a small world. I actually did one of my design assignments for my City and Guilds based on the view from the top of the Llandudno car park, looking across to Snowdonia. grin

DH actually went to boarding school in CB and his parents bought a house there as a base whilst his father was in the army. Since he left their house was first their holiday home and then their retirement home so I have been going up there for 20 yrs now for one reason and another. Good grief! I must be getting old!

I am very impressed by your hour long gym session, drips and all. The Magnum sounds like an excellent idea after all that effort. I bet it tasted great!

I've been slobbing on the sofa this afternoon, staying out of the heat and catching up on some emails and Governor minutes I should have typed up days ago. I am so far behind with things after all the sewing I have had to do. It must be cooling down now though - I am beginning to get hungry. grin

NoGoodAtWittyNames Sun 07-Jul-13 21:37:03

Oh Rules I just wanted to give you a big hug when I read about your mum, you're so amazing for not letting this beat you and for successfully not passing this on to your daughter, you're v inspirational. This is one of the reasons I'm determined to make this my WOE for life so I don't pass my bad habits onto my DD, as my mum did with me.

Tin just remember whatever the scales are saying you're looking like you're losing weight and that's the most important thing and the good thing about a bad today is that it'll never happen again (cheesy but true!)

Rulesgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 21:53:50

Thank you NoGood smile. That's why I really want to make this woe work for life. Its just so easy to not have to think of food in any way other than ....well.....just food really IYKWIM. said "minimal weight loss....did you lose some then? Cause some is great, losing none but staying the same is also great, gaining a bit is not a problem cause you can easily drop it again when refocused smile . It is just the way it is that we sometimes eat for reasons other than true hunger like you with the icecream and your children. I used to do that with the kids leftovers until someone pointed out to me that I am using me as the bin rather than putting unwanted food in the real bin. That really made me stop doing it cause Im worth more than that shock Hope you enjoyed the bbq, if you enjoy it then its fine isn't it. You probably wont eat now for a long while if you just go back to the rules.
BBB Your design from the top of Llandudno Shopping Center sounds amazing. Would like to see it smile . Im about 10 miles from Caernarfon, in the mountains overlooking the sea on the coast. Tis lovely.
Ive really upped my exercise in the gym. Im now doing bike for 20 mins, sit ups/crunchies, lunges, and then the weights session.... I also run occasionally. Do you know what, I feel so good afterwards but have to really motivate myself to bloody go and do it. grin

HadALittleFaithBaby Sun 07-Jul-13 22:44:30

I'm sorry it was tough for you Rules but I really admire your attitude with your kids! That's what I hope for with Faithlet.

Well we've had a wonderful time on holiday in Devon with DH's family. Didn't really want to leave, even though we were staying with family! Just goes to show how well we get on with his cousin and his wife smile It was really interesting talking to her actually. They were doing 5:2 diet and stopped while we were visiting. She said he was really angry and intense on fast days. He teaches karate and if he taught on fast days she was really worried about him! She only did it to support him. She's never been a dieter but eats what she fancies (within reason be a use she's a coeliac and lactose intolerant). Her weight fluctuates but when she gets to her heavier weight she naturally cuts out stuff she'd graze on and her weight drops again. A natural Paulet I think!

I am back on it as of now. I'm having major body/self-esteem issues. I've been heavier than this but am trying to come to terms with the changes to my body post-pregnancy: I naively thought it wouldn't be too bad since I only gained a stone. I didn't realise it would still change my shape! I want to start Pauling efficiently and exercising more smile

Rulesgirl Mon 08-Jul-13 00:02:38

Hi Faith . Glad you've had a lovely holiday. Interesting about your relatives and their eating habits. I think most people get grumpy without food. I know I do grin Please don't worry about your shape. You've just had a beautiful baby . Give yourself a year at least before your anywhere near normal. Your body will go back more or less eventually. wink

You know the cliche Faith, you and your body have grown a baby. Things have changed shape but for the very best of reasons. I know, it is corny but it is true. You'll get some of your old shape back. It just takes a time.

Ha! Cross post with Rules. Both of us can't be wrong. grin

Rulesgirl Mon 08-Jul-13 02:01:13

Lol!!!! BBB grin

HadALittleFaithBaby Mon 08-Jul-13 07:02:10

grin yeah. I know you're (both!) right. I just don't have many trousers that fit and I don't want to wear maternity stuff! Had to buy stuff a size up. I'm too worried about what people think of me!

No, don't worry about other people. People can see you have had a baby - nobody is judging or thinking you should be in smaller clothes, they'll be too busy cooing at the gorgeous baby Faithlet. grin

Get things with drawstrings or elasticated waists - there are always plenty around this time of year because they are lightweight fabrics and they are forgiving so you can probably buy the size you want and they will adjust as your body does. Another three months, in the autumn, you will have been Pauling and exercising and when you need the chunky fabrics and the fixed waistband, I bet you fit into

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Jul-13 10:09:37

Wow it's been busy on our thread! morning all!! grin Rules No i never had food issues as such I just thought I looked fat in photos. I admire you too for overcoming all that negativity from your M. It's difficult to do and some people never do! Although my DM was always dieting she never even suggested that we did, so apart from remembering her horrible dry (special diet) rolls that she ate, she was good with food (like the co-op!) though of course I suppose it would 've rubbed off a bit! (The the bit about 5:2 I don't get; DH was nearly climbing the walls when he tried it; the LBS would 've affected me too).

Come ON HadA you have just done as your name says!!! As BBB says I wouldn't give a shxx what anyone thinks!!! get some soft waist trax and don't worry at all (although a few gentle muffin busters would help you!!)

BB I 've just finished cutting the grass in our rather large garden (I do it in stages in the early morning) and I try to view it in a positive way (it's exercise ain't it? grin) same as pushing yr. DS2 on his bike (i'm fair too and try to keep out of the midday sun my redness is'nt a lovely look)!!

My mum had dry rolls - I wonder if they are the same ones. Like bread rolls with all the moisture taken out. They were almost like bread flavoured honeycomb. Actually, I thought they bloody lovely but with loads of butter. Not that I was supposed to eat them because they were expensive and only for my mum. Don't tell my mum I used to pinch one occasionally. grin

Rulesgirl Mon 08-Jul-13 13:03:50

I thought they were a bit like dust myself . My mother had them too and then she discovered that having really burnt black toast and then scraping the burn off, was less calories haha. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now