Is it actually possible to lose weight? Help, stories and motivation please!

(81 Posts)
KettleCrunch Tue 12-Mar-13 17:17:00

Please motivate me, all you healthy superfit MNers!

OK, so I've got a stubborn BMI of 27.5, having put on three stone in the last two years or so (bloody Cerazette/sedentary office job). I'm tall, which is why my BMI isn't abysmal, but I really want to shift at least some of the flab by summer.

I've tried to lose it a few times since LAST summer by doing low-carbing, eating less with myfitnesspal, C25k etc, but just keep losing and gaining the same half stone or so whenever I inevitably surrender to a massive packet of jaffa cakes blushblush.

I've never had to lose any significant amount of weight before, so I just don't understand how it's done, or really believe it's possible! I joined a gym last week and I've been trying out all the classes to see which ones I enjoy, for the first time ever, which I'm loving so far - but I know that, though it'll make me feel better and tone up a bit, this won't be enough on its own to see much weight loss. If I go to a class most days, and cut out the jaffa cakes and their evil junk food pals... will I actually lose weight? Is it possible?

Also hoping to get back on the C25k as soon as this damn ice thaws... I finished the programme but it's been a few weeks since I've braved the weather.

Please share your stories of weight loss success and reassure me that the effort I'm about to put in will not be all in vain! Also please tell me what it feels like to lose weight, any ups and downs I should prepare for, tips for 'digging deep' and just keeping going when comfort eating is calling... and if anyone's in the same position as me, join the club!

BIWI Sun 17-Mar-13 11:31:45

here you are!

KettleCrunch Sun 17-Mar-13 13:25:04

Oh, excellent! I'll try it out tomorrow smile thanks!

BIWI Sun 17-Mar-13 13:30:21

Just done my first 25 minute run, and completed week 6!

have made my pictures public so can see the change hope it gives you some motivation

oh and i lost almost another stone since last one

KettleCrunch Sun 17-Mar-13 18:37:48

Oh wow human you do look amazing! Congratulations smile

And BIWI well done on your run! I just finally figured out how my gps running watch works so I'm feeling extra motivated to go running tomorrow morning. Hopefully it'll make me faster (!).

KettleCrunch Sun 17-Mar-13 19:43:11

OK I have another question... so far I've been eating between my BMR and my TDEE as advised, but I've just been looking at the NHS choices weight loss website and it says that women should be eating 1400 calories per day to lose weight, and not eating back exercise calories. Is this right? My BMR is apparently over 1700, and I honestly don't think I could keep up eating 1400 calories for more than a few days. But am I really going to lose weight eating 1900 calories (if my TDEE is around 2300) and doing lots of exercise? Or is that a fantasy, and should I be following the NHS guidelines? Argh, so much conflicting advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now