2013 NEW YEAR JILLIAN MICHAELS FANS!

(1000 Posts)
threestepsforward Mon 28-Jan-13 16:19:36

New thread for the Julian Monkeys!!

Here's to a new year Shedded and Shredded, Ripped, with Killer Buns and Thighs, a 6 Pack, a Revolutionised Body and No More Trouble Zones grin

Any practitioners of Insanity, Turbofire and all other such insane DVDs come and join us too if you like smile

notyummy Wed 27-Feb-13 21:23:21

Oooooh she is scrumptious Knotty- that gorgeous smile!

Managed NMTZ today. I can't do windshield wipers, because I can't bring my legs up high enough but can do everything else.

hopingtodrive Thu 28-Feb-13 01:30:36

Thanks for the tips everyone. Today I didn't go deep into the lunges and my knee seems to be a bit better. I am being very cautious though. I am halfway through shred. Can't wait to finish it.

Congratulations knotty on your adorable DD

Jacksterbear Fri 01-Mar-13 11:28:16

Great work everyone. tracedw did you do shred L2? How did it go? hoping, glad knee feels better, and hope notyummy 3steps CHST and others with injuries and twinges are doing ok. knotty, 4 circuits of BFBM is no cake walk - well done.

Managed a quick Ripped L3 before work today. Ow those duck walks! And ow ow those side plank arm raises! I like it now a lot more than I used to though... have taken on board the wise advice of Jillian and others on this thread re "perfect sucks", and now accept that I can't do that level perfectly but just give it my best shot. smile

Aim is to do L2 tomorrow and L1 on Sunday (and if I have the time follow L1 with L4 - IMO the 2 easiest Ripped levels so doable as a double... I think??).

Guitargirl Fri 01-Mar-13 11:56:57

Hi everyone, I was hoping to do Level 1 and 2 together today of S+S but only managed Level 1. DD has a friend over after school today and the place is a tip at the moment so I really need to get cracking, I shouldn't be on here at all really. I did do Level 2+3 of 30DS yesterday which was ok. It's a bit frustrating as my weights have now been delivered but we weren't at home so they have gone to a neighbour who is not answering the door every time we try to go and get them. Am hoping my new DVD - BFBM arrives tomorrow. DP is taking the DCs out for the day to watch the football so will have time to try it out!

Jacksterbear Fri 01-Mar-13 12:59:25

Ooh Guitargirl let us know how you get on with BFBM - I think it's fun! Starts off at a relatively relaxed pace but by circuit 3 I am always puffing and sweating! That's annoying re weights, hope you can manage to pick them up soon.

knottyhair Fri 01-Mar-13 13:28:49

Thanks for all the lovely comments smile. Did just 3 circuits of NMTZ, and paused the DVD between each and did 2 mins of cardio as well. I decided to give light weights a go, and used just 1kg and I think I could have used 1.5, maybe 2? Don't want to run before I can walk though, after nearly a year off. Guitargirl, hope you enjoy BFBM! Jackster, yup, I remember those duck walks!

tracedw Fri 01-Mar-13 14:37:41

jacksterbear just finished D2 L2, not at all pretty, i kept falling over on day 1, my balance was rubbish but surprisingly ok today.
level 2 seems to be targeting my abs a lot more which is great for me after 3 cs and not much core strength to speak of..... and whats all this with the lunges...shock
Its madness!

tracedw Fri 01-Mar-13 14:40:17

i meant planks...........

Jacksterbear Fri 01-Mar-13 15:36:35

Good one tracedw, L2 is HARRD! Try squeezing your core tight to help balance.

Rollergirl1 Fri 01-Mar-13 15:52:04

Hi All

Haven't had a chance to post the last few weeks or to catch up with the thread so will do that in a minute.

I moved on to Level 2 of 6W6P at the beginning of this week. I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. I didn't feel like it was targetting the abs as much as Level 1 initially but I ache loads so I guess it must be. It's also really heavy on the legs too (so many different lunges). I would say that my legs and bum are probably my least problem areas and they are pretty toned and strong. But i've been wincing walking down the stairs and lowering myself on to the toilet seat (something I haven't experienced for a long long time) since doing this level so it has to be pretty hardcore.

Don't have a six-pack yet but obliques are deffo noticeable now grin

notyummy Fri 01-Mar-13 19:07:55

L2 of 6W6P is indeed hard and I agree it feels like it works legs rather than abs. Haven't find it for ages because my back cant cope with all the quick twisting.

DH and I did NMTZ together today. Was good- hope I don't pay with dodgy back later....

fadingblonde Sat 02-Mar-13 14:11:31

Hi all, I've been having a lazy week and woke up feeling guilty after I'd been dreaming I was doing killer! So I got up and did level 1, I don't know why I put it off as I feel so much better afterwards.

Rollergirl I don't feel like 6w6p particularly targets my abs at all, or no more than any other Jillian dvd does. I think because it's so fast I don't do the moves as effectively although I think it's a good cardio workout.

Guitargirl Sat 02-Mar-13 14:16:07

Knotty - love the pictures, your DD looks so happy! smile

Shiny new DVD arrived this morning so have just attempted BFBM circuits 1,2,3,5&6. Circuit 4 is just impossible for me, plank exercises are a no-no only because I have absolutely no core strength to speak of!

Felt like I had a good work-out, cardio suits me as I have so much fat around the middle to lose blush.

Ponks Sat 02-Mar-13 14:55:44

Killer L1 almost finished me off today. Haven't done any exercise for the past couple of days as been plagued with sick headaches but felt a little better today so tried Killer. Am disappointed as had been looking forward to doing a double today like so many on this thread - but for now one was enough.

Also had little moment of existential crises mid workout - why am I bothering to do this when I am a flabby 40something? I know I am really enjoying the feeling of getting fitter and stronger but today I'm just feeling a bit down and wishing I were young again. sad

fadingblonde Sat 02-Mar-13 19:09:23

Just done NMTZ's minus the warm up and cool down - I always kid myself it's the easy option as there's no cardio hmm

Ponks I totally get that midlife crisis feeling - I can tell I'm stronger and fitter since I started 'Jillianing' but my weights the same, I look the same with my clothes on, and sometimes I just sort of think what's the point? I'm old (39) and past it, and I'll never look any better sad

threestepsforward Sat 02-Mar-13 21:49:23

Fadingblonde, NMTZ is a toughie, no doubt. Well done!

Aw Ponks and Fading, I know how you feel. Can I join the 40-something 'what's the point' crew'?

Honestly though, I turned 40 late last year and I don't think I've been in such good shape ever. Jillian'ing, combined with finally putting an end to years and years of disordered eating and a seriously bad relationship with food, have been very kind to my body smile

The face though shock - the face that looks back at me from the mirror is a cross between an insomniac badger and a handbag...

For me the I love the feel good factor of exercising.

Oh, and Ponks, apparently 40 is the new 30 ;)

After a week off with plenty of stretching my back is feeling good, no pain smile So, I will be doing a level of Killer tomorrow and seeing how I go, wish me luck...

Notyummy hope you're doing okay, and everyone else suffering injuries or lurgies or similar...

Sorry not to name check everyone but thread has moved on such a lot! (YOu all sound like you're doing great though...)

Will check in tomorrow with hopefully good feedback on my return to exercise smile

gingercat12 Sun 03-Mar-13 12:23:34

Another over 40 (or the hill?) here. I am happier and healthier than ever but agree on what is the point sometimes. Lots of reading helps. Found some amazing novels lately.

About to move up to BR Phase 2 on Monday. I looked at it yesterday, and it looks scary. But stylish.

Jacksterbear Sun 03-Mar-13 16:01:54

"The face though - the face that looks back at me from the mirror is a cross between an insomniac badger and a handbag... " Pmsl, I'm sure it's not true 3steps, but I do recognise that feeling! I'm mid-30s but feel very haggard sonetimes! grin Glad your back is better. Did u get through killer today?

Ripped L2 done yest, hope to do L1 later this eve. Hope you're all having good weekends and managing to fit in lots of exercise. smile

Jacksterbear Sun 03-Mar-13 16:07:01

And good luck with phase 2 gingercat. I like the sound of a stylish workout! grin

Ponks Sun 03-Mar-13 17:26:58

Oh yes the face in the mirror ... shock dark circles, bags under the eyes, blotchy skin ... what happened? My body is definitely better than at the beginning of January but there is a long way to go yet. I was so fit and thin in my 20s - don't think I will ever get that much bounce again but I want to get away from the feeling of living in a fat suit smile.

Feeling bit better today as no headaches so did Killer buns L2 with DH. Phew, a step up from L1 with all those one legged burpees etc. Couldn't do it all but that gives me something to work up to.

threestepsforward Sun 03-Mar-13 19:57:08

Jacksterbear I must confess I didn't today blush I was persuaded to give it another day of rest and make it a full week off, but I didn't need much persuading! Have lolled around all weekend being very lazy... The more days I take off, the harder it feels to get started again. But tomorrow it will be so will report back.

Glad you're enjoying Ripped smile I must revisit it when I finally finish Killer and then S&S.

Ponks L2 Killer is a definite step up from L1 so well done getting through it, I remember the first few times are hard! It's a great workout though isn't it?

Gingercat wow you're at Phase 2 already? That's gone so quick! Are you seeing / feeling the benefits?

Will check in tomorrow, enjoy what's left of the weekend all smile

notyummy Sun 03-Mar-13 20:13:35

Yes- 41 here. Body is genuinely as good as it has ever been. Have been slightly lighter/thinner before in 20s but that was through not eating and smoking loads so was certainly not as fit as I am now. Face needs more work (if I can be bothered before I feel 'fresh' and some days I can't quite get there!!)

Killer L2 quite tough from memory. Don't remember either level having much cardio challenge in it, but some other nasties instead... Am a bit worried about losing cardio fitness as my main source used to be running and I have been warned off that with my back. Am using the cross trainer regularly but never feels the same.

DH and I did our Bob Harper Pure Strength today. All 68 mins of it. Sheesh.

MissTFied Sun 03-Mar-13 20:23:09

Hi all,

On to S&S now, and as I predicted, I now like it (after trying it once and dismissing it!). I like the martial arts side of it and L1 doesn't feel too bad at all whilst doing it, but I notice it in the evenings and the next day, so that's a real bonus. I haven't done a double yet with this, I was thinking of maybe doing 10 days of L1, 10 of L2, then 10 of both levels. We will see though, an hour might not be very practical...

I like the sound of Body Revolution Gingercat - scary sounds good! I like to have other DVDs waiting for me, I will have to have a good look around. Almost done all of Jilly's!

Ponks - hope you feel better mentally. I am mid-30s and found some old notebooks from when I was 20 today. I had written food diaries and I am actually the same weight now as I was then, but the difference is like threesteps said, my attitude to food has changed. I seemed to be quite obsessed with what I ate but now I just exercise it all off. (OK I still do worry about all the sweet stuff I am consuming but I seem to be 'having my cake and eating it'). I am so glad I have found exercise which I enjoy, I couldn't think 'what's the point?', and I hope for it to remain this way (trying to override my natural pessimistic personality). Ultimately, I am doing this for myself, and it is working.

Phew, with that outpouring, I'm off! wink

MissTFied Sun 03-Mar-13 20:31:24

Ps - agree with you notyummy about being the best I have ever been now.

Just looked on amazon for any Jillian DVDs I may be able to buy and noticed 30DS is now £8! Extortionate! It was £4.99 when I bought it 5 months ago. Tut tut amazon.

Guitargirl Mon 04-Mar-13 07:35:48

Morning everyone, I have just had my Jillian fix for the day before the DCs wake up - BFBM minus circuit 4 which is still impossible for me.

Am not yet 40 (although probably look it) and I don't think have been doing this for long enough to have much of a visible effect on my body, am still very overweight. BUT the difference I can definitely feel is a mental one. I am so much more positive and I think am dealing with stress better. My boss has even remarked on it!

This thread is not accepting new messages.