ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

OI CHIEFS! OVER HERE!

(998 Posts)
buzzybuzzybeeshoes Sun 20-Jan-13 14:41:16

Can't link to this from old thread but thought I'd start a new one as the old one was getting full and kept crashing my kindle.

DoubleMum Sun 24-Feb-13 18:33:01

Interesting article: www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?ref=health&_r=0

GeekLove Sun 24-Feb-13 20:10:21

Hello!

It seems that the minimum time to lose weight is roughly twice the time it takes to gain it! Anybody else fancyi g the carbs in this cold weather?
The good things about it is at least the boys can o on the trampoline, I can garden and th laundry gets dry.
Still had a big late lunch but really don't want anything else
I am also trying to eat coleslaw as a means of eating more vegetables as it is harder this time of year as it isn't salad weather.
I am aiming to not eat a single Snikers bar next week.

BsshBossh Sun 24-Feb-13 20:32:27

Double thanks for the link. There is nothing new or surprising for me reading that article - we know the junk food industry is only driven by the profit motive (we live in a capitalist society after all) but it definitely reminds me how the junk food industry endeavours to hook our children into expecting food to taste a certain way (high fat, sodium, sugar). As parents we are also culpable and that article serves as a reminder to us.

DoubleMum Mon 25-Feb-13 07:52:46

OK Chiefs. Have just realised I have to go to London this week for a farewell/welcome lunch for work and it involves a posh restaurant. (Again. I seem to be sabotaging all over the place!) Have never been there before and don't really know what to choose, in fact I'm finding the menu a bit offputting as it keeps mentioning baby chickens. What do you reckon would be a good weight-losing choice?
www.nopi-restaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/LUNCH-DINNER-MENU.pdf?%3E

Oh exciting! This is fun.

I think for least calories i'd do aubergine for starter, stone bass for main and salad no dressing for side. No pud! I'd ask them if they could serve the fish with no head or tail (just in case they were going to). I wouldn't eat the shrimps.

If that's all too much fish I'd go chicken with salad and only eat about 100-150g of it!

I'm out in London on a fast day this week so I feel your pain. Hoping to find a restaurant that serves fish and salad.

Fasting today too <sigh>

Lizzylou Mon 25-Feb-13 09:10:29

Yum to that menu Double!
Love a good menu!

I would say a fish dish or the gnocci even, then go carb low for the rest of the day?

Tabbykat Mon 25-Feb-13 09:21:36

Morning chiefs! Glad to hear this weather might cheer up over the next few days - much easier to be motivated when sun shining and you can get outside to do stuff.

Congrats to all the losers!

DoubleMum Mon 25-Feb-13 09:25:40

Yes I was thinking fish, although there seems to be a lot of butter about. I love gnocchi but I think it's quite high cal and likely to be swimming in butter. It would be easier if I'd been there before and I haven't been to Ottolenghi either. Good luck with the fast Tea, hard to go to a restaurant on your fast day.

DoubleMum Mon 25-Feb-13 09:26:13

PS I won't eat anything for the rest of the day, it seems to have worked yesterday.

You might be surprised. Quite often there is a dish on the menu that isn't swimming in lots of butter/oil/dressing. Posh, glamorous restaurants have to cater for skinny celeb types who lick some fish (no butter), bring their own knife and fork and think an evening out is pushing some iceberg around a plate. I used to do a lot of client/supplier entertaining and I got good at quizzing the staff about exactly what was on it .... much to the embarrassment of my DH I love to order off menu grin

Oh I love ghocchi too. In a cream sauce <goes into a trance dreaming of cheesy cream sauce with bread>

DoubleMum Mon 25-Feb-13 10:20:02

Had a fantastic gnocchi dish at the Oxo Tower some years ago and have tried unsuccessfully to recreate it ever since.
OK I hate being picky in restaurants but I will do it. Might have to pretend I'm Adele or something.

Just wear sunglasses all the way through dinner you'll get away with ordering off menu wink

DoubleMum Mon 25-Feb-13 10:40:45

LOL. I'll stand up and sing Skyfall between starters and mains.

kalidanger Mon 25-Feb-13 12:17:35

Skyfall just reminds me of apple crumbooooll awash in hot custard. Awash

I've gone to bed hungry two nights running! I know that's not exactly a good thing but I have at least consciously not spent the evening's grazing when I was peckish.

Had cheese for breakfast sad

BsshBossh Mon 25-Feb-13 12:35:08

Oh Double that menu looks fabulous. I feel your pain. Mind you, those that know me by now will know that I'd opt for anything I fancied off that menua and adjust my eating another time.

DoubleMum Mon 25-Feb-13 14:01:25

How do you make a salad really filling? Have just had one with an entire tin of red salmon and I feel hungry an hour later which rather surprises me. Am going to ignore it nevertheless.

BsshBossh Mon 25-Feb-13 14:21:17

Double, I like adding seeds/nuts/beans to my salads to bulk them out and fill me up, plus a proper olive oil dressing. An incredibly filling salad (for me) is a tuna and butterbean one I found on the BBC Food website.

DoubleMum Mon 25-Feb-13 14:26:36

That looks lovely Bssh. They used to do a great tuna and bean salad in the old Cafe Pasta (plus smoked mozzarella garlic bread - to die for). I think I only have kidney beans so I foresee some bean-shopping in my future.

TheTigerDidntComeToTea Mon 25-Feb-13 14:54:13

Double - I love looking at menus too, and you are being very organised planning in advance. i admit the baby chicken references are putting me off too!!

Bssh - that tuna salad looks lovely! I also like this one
bulgur wheat salad. I used half-fat feta from Tesco and added cucumber & spring onion to bulk it out then it did 3 lunches.

Lizzy - we saw wreck it Ralph yesterday. Costa coffee machine was broken, no sweet popcorn, it did me a favour but very disappointing! It was dd's first movie, she was very excited but couldn't stay still, her brother was getting very annoyed!

Dinky - Jealous of your david lloyd membership. Dh was a member when I met him, think he actually lived there! Eventually after mortgage and kids he had to regretfully resign - has never forgiven me - lol!

Welcome to new folk, I'll look you up on MFP, I'm ten0six on there.

Dh & I had a date on saturday night at our local Mexican. I had nachos, fajitas and half a (tiny) cheescake, the potions weren't too big so I don't think I went too far over - says she hopefully! It was so nice to be out without kids and chat. And they left us with our wine once we'd finished eating so we weren't rushed out. A very nice evening! And I got plenty of excercise afterwards - wink blush

SylviaDaisyPouncer Mon 25-Feb-13 17:15:51

Evening all!

Just trying to catch up with posts.
Today I was at work, haven't been overly good but work in a kitchen which makes it hard. But I am on my feet all day so hoping that counts as some exercise!
Will try to get back later but dh is home tonight. Oh I have missed him, especially as the dc have not been behaving that well!
Have a lovely evening everyone if I don't get back on until tomorrowsmile

dinkydoos Mon 25-Feb-13 20:40:53

Hi all.
Had lovely frittata for tea after not eating all day. Loads of cooked leftover veg in it. Feta on top. Mm.
Day three sans wine which is a miracle for me, but watch my mfp entry tomorrow as do is back from working away so bet it will feature!
tiger have put in mating request on mfp!

dinkydoos Mon 25-Feb-13 20:41:19

Do = dp!!!

DoubleMum Tue 26-Feb-13 07:51:14

Yay lost another lb. So Thai food actually helps weight loss in my limited study.

BsshBossh Tue 26-Feb-13 11:01:35

Well done, Double smile <Bssh plans a meal out at the local Thai just before weigh day>

As my Daddy would say Double ... Ah, go'arn yourself, hen. PDB!

I will watch with interest what you eat on your lunch out down dat der London.

<wonders whether Thai before opera is the answer!>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now