ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Happy New Year! Happy New Paul McKenna Thread Number 11. Healthy Weight Loss Without Restricting Your Enjoyment Of Food! Come Join The Paulettes For Support And Chat.

(980 Posts)
GoodKingWenSOLOslas Tue 01-Jan-13 03:58:46

Welcome to thread 11 of the Paul McKenna's I Can Make You Thin weight loss system.

The Golden Rules that will aid you on your journey with our like minded support system are:

1. Eat what you WANT
2. Eat when you are HUNGRY
3. Eat CONSCIOUSLY
4. STOP eating when you are satisfied and full

This weight loss system is about re-educating your body; learning to listen to it and in doing so losing weight and inches. After all, eating a meal is not a competition.
Many people have issues around food. Many of us have been brought up by the 'clear your plate' parents of yesteryear which leave us feeling guilty if we leave even the smallest morsel of food, but we are working through this guilt or any other hang up we might have, and we are learning to leave a bit on the plate; return to it another time if we really want to or even feed it to the dog or the bin!
So!! forget diets; they may work for a while, but they aren't permanent solutions. This is a new way of living for your brand new life!!

The Paul McKenna system really works and is easy to maintain.

I've C&P'd our previous threads links as they are helpful.

Here are the book choices on AMAZON which is all you need to get started! they aren't compulsory, but they do help! it's something to refer to and listening to the cd's can really focus you.

This is the tapping technique EXPLAINED - this can be useful to combat cravings.

You don't have to buy the book and CD, but we have found that they do help and somehow they keep you on track, so it would probably be a good investment and will cost you far less than a couple of trips to WW or SW meetings, so do consider having them in your life.

Please feel free to join us, whether it's 10lbs or 10 stones you want to lose.
We are friendly, supportive and successful, but we're not hungry OH NO we're not!!! so come on in and start living your new life today and make 2013 your year to drop a dress size or several.

Jayneguest Mon 28-Jan-13 18:24:32

here's the blog post about paul mckennas gastric band hypnosis I was talking about. Its also quite interesting to hear what Paul says about it and how the people in the studio were getting hypnotised too!
www.markpowlett.co.uk/myblog/read_70079/paul-mckenna-gastric-band-hypnosis.html

Dottiespots Mon 28-Jan-13 19:19:43

Hi Jayne......are you newwww!!! Had a look at your link and I was aware that Paul Mckenna was against the gastic bypass thing as he said somewhere that its a gimmick and a quick fix that doesnt work to address the underlying issue. Im sticking to his original idea which is "mindful eating" which I have always tried to do.
PP....Hi....sorry i didnt get on to post yesterday. Hows you? Are you still sticking with your linen jacket idea for wedding? I keep having a look at stuff but really really hate the idea of Mother of the Bride stuff as its too starchy for me. I will find something eventually as I have a year and a half anyway.
Hi everyone else....hows everyone doing?

Hello everyone.

Hopefully this post will load up. hmm

I have decided that I am going to get a dress made here for the wedding. So any ideas on how to look lovely would be great. It seems the best idea rather than having a panic in 9 days I am back in the UK before the wedding. I have got as far as thinking maybe something with blue in it and calf length, with a small matching jacket. Other than that I am at a loss!! Any suggestions to cover my "floppy" bits and look good would be appreciated. I dont want to look like a walking tent! Not too sure on my size now, maybe a 20.

Scales were found at work, stood on them and I had not lost, but I am not down as I "feel" smaller, so I will go with that! grin

ppeatfruit Tue 29-Jan-13 11:16:48

Morning everyone grin Nice to hear from you again Positiveattitude grin You're lucky they make clothes cheaply out of lovely silk where you are; I remember we had silk outfits made in Singapore that were beautiful. (I know you're not there). I admit I've forgotten exactly where you are blush! Also congratulations on staying positive grin

The dress and jacket idea is good 'cos it can be as dressy or casual as you like Yes aws I'm still thinking of that idea I'm in the U.K. this weekend and will begin looking for the dress in earnest! (I'll have to remember to take a swatch of the jacket material)

Dottiespots Wed 30-Jan-13 02:06:10

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_008010831297_-1......What about something like this with a little jacket Positive. Is that the sort of thing or less formal? It would cover wibbly bits by hiding them, show a bit of clevage, shows a bit of leg ??? But you did say calf length didnt you so maybe this is too short.

Dottiespots Wed 30-Jan-13 02:10:38

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_008010831297_-1..I quiet like this one myself.

Dottiespots Wed 30-Jan-13 02:11:56

sorry .....links are not working.

ppeatfruit Wed 30-Jan-13 10:36:14

Thanks aws Morning grin blimey quilted jackets are back in again are they? (I've only worn the one I bought 5 yrs ago approx 10 times!).

I'm going for something retro maybe 50s style a large bluey print on a light background esp. now i've got the figure for it HOORAY!!! though maybe hippy chic print might look nice.

Hi everyone,

Anybody watching the Michael Moseley truth about exercise programme? Fascinating. <<stands up to MN>>

Erebus Wed 30-Jan-13 22:10:36

Yes, just watched the Mosley programme about exercise. Blimey...BUT - and this isn't just an excuse- the reality is that I know a concerted exercise regime just doesn't do it for me! I'd go 4 times a week to the gym, for 6 months, work hard but genuinely didn't tone up, lose weight or gain much stamina. No real response at all. I had always suspected I was a 'non responder' but was always 'shouted down'.... Now I do wonder if I was right!

Me too Erebus. I have never got that buzz from exercise you are supposed to get either - becoming more energetic and all that. Always thought I was doing it wrong but maybe not.

I am very tempted by the 3 minutes a week thing though. I could do that and it seems to have a significant implications for things other than aerobic improvements. The glucose tolerance was a big deal I thought.

Really it requires us to go back to activity patterns we might have had 100 years ago - no sitting down, keep moving. No more being slumped on the sofa/at your desk for hours on end. It seems those who go to the gym are kidding themselves if they don't move the rest of the time.

And It vindicates my view that a shopping is good exercise. I never bought this idea that because you stood still sometimes and weren't getting out of breath that somehow it wasn't good for you and not 'proper' exercises. I shall be booking more shopping outings! grin

Erebus Wed 30-Jan-13 22:31:15

Yes, I'm going to try and stay on my feet more now and stress less about 2 1/2 hours exercise a week. I power walk 3 or 4 times a week for 30mins on a treadmill and am wondering whether to just go flat out for a minute or so instead. Tho it's harder than on a bike as you can't just stop when you're close to collapse!

Ir's worth a go Erebus. Especially if you aren't enjoying the treadmill and plan to stand up more in exchange.

I thought it was also very interesting how many more calories MM burnt just by being more active and not sitting down. 500 wasn't it? Where can I get me some fidget pants.?!grin

Actually that will be the problem in the end I suppose. He got all the feedback from the test results to motivate him and we won't have that. It must really help..

But the good thing is that it ties in with Pauling because doesn't he say you don't necessarily need to do formal exercise, just move more?

ppeatfruit Thu 31-Jan-13 10:02:33

Morning all! The fact that we're all different is often ignored. Some people LOVE running,etc. others don't; I prefer stretches,walking and dancing and it's all fine as long as you're not in agony Paul Mckenna says "No pain no pain!"

I think its ironic to see people driving to the gym when they could help their fitness just by walking or running the distance there and walking back without spending all that membership money and feeling guilty for vegging out not feeling like going!

ppeatfruit Thu 31-Jan-13 13:55:29

I'm off to your side of the pond tomorrow so keep up the good work everyone grin I'll speak in a week or so. Byeeee

Have a good trip ppeat

Dottiespots Fri 01-Feb-13 01:56:12

PP hope you have a nice time in UK. I think Ive decided what sort of thing i www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH458/Womens-Notch-Neck-Shift.html?NavGroupID=4will wear......A dress from Boden. Something like this cause its simple and casual but will look lovely with brown legs and a gorgeous pair of high heels and a little cardi or jacket. mmmmm.

Dottiespots Fri 01-Feb-13 02:06:04

As regards to the exercise....I saw on femail about the 4 minute exercise thing....not sure if thats what your referring to. You have to do 20 seconds of full on exercise whether it be running or squats or bike ...whatever then rest for 10 seconds then 20 seconds again then rest for 10 etc etc till you get to 4 mins and you have to do it as quick and hard as you can and then thats it. Whats not to like lol!!!http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2270901/Can-really-fit-FOUR-MINUTES-day-Its-hot-new-exercise-craze-And-amazingly-worked-exhausted-guinea-pig.html cant get link to work though.

Dottiespots Fri 01-Feb-13 02:07:47

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2270901/Can-really-fit-FOUR-MINUTES-day-Its-hot-new-exercise-craze-And-amazingly-worked-exhausted-guinea-pig.html

Sounds like a similar sort of thing aws, except that you do intense activity for 20 seconds and rest for a minute, repeated 3 times, 3 times a week.

The comments on the article were interesting as some of them missed the point saying you can't get fit in that time and all that. As side from the fact that some people can, it in the Michael Mosley programme it was about the effects on your blood that were most striking. The improvements in the levels of fat in the blood stream and the regulation of blood sugar. It wasn't really about losing weight but about being healthier although of course losing weight is a strong possibility. Unfortunately, the Daily Mail didn't talk about this and so a lot of people in the comments were calling it a faddy exercise regime or just like interval training which it isn't really because as I understand it, interval training isn't so intense and it goes on for a lot longer. I don't think it represents the research as well as the TV programme did.

And as for her being a size 14 and overweight - depressing. She probably needed to lose all of 2 lbs to get back into the healthy category. My heart bleeds for her. <<grumpy proper fat person emoticon>>

CowboyPie Fri 01-Feb-13 14:21:48

Hi all, can I join in please? I read the book last night for the first time (haven't listened to the cd yet but I'll get chance later), so today is my day 1.

Erebus Fri 01-Feb-13 14:42:16

An aside- I was thinking a bit from straying into 5:2 territory. I saw The MM video (the Horizon one) on a link someone on the 5:2 'board' posted (thanks) and it all looked very convincing. However, another link on that 'board' (it's just the lead post of number- was it 13?- of that OP thread, I should add. The OP gives stacks of different links for newbies to digest) said that the effects of intermittent fasting on women didn't look quite so good as for men, i.e. appeared to maybe be associated with anxiety, wakefulness etc. Apparently the vast amount of research has been carried out on men alone, whom the WOE seems to benefit enormously...

So I am pointing DH in that direction whilst I stick to PMc for now!

chinhealer Fri 01-Feb-13 17:14:09

Re. high intensity training, I've been using similar principles when it comes to weightlifting. ie heavy weights, 5 compound exercises (only one set each) targeting all the major muscle groups, very low reps (less than 10; Sometimes as few as 3) and each movement executed super-slowly. And my workout is over within about 15-20 mins. The key is then to allow my muscles to recover properly. Which means that I wait at least another week before hitting the gym to do the same workout. (Although I can incrementally increase the weight as I get stronger.)
The rest of the week, I walk/run/swim/chi kung as I fancy. It's definitely the best weights regime I've ever adopted.

For anyone interested, here's the science bit !

fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/01/06/dr-doug-mcguff-on-exercise.aspx

chinhealer Fri 01-Feb-13 17:23:52

Oh, and I'm sure it goes without saying, but I don't think either high intensity training or fasting are good ideas for new mums/breastfeeding mums.

But, personally, I suspect that following Paul Mckenna's Four Golden Rules is a healthy thing for anyone including new mums/breastfeeding mums.

Although, in terms of listening to the gastric band hypnosis, I might be cautious if you are breastfeeding or pregnant. He does not mention this issue at all in either Thin or Gastric Band. Which is an oversight I think. And I also wonder whether some major caution should be exercised if someone is anorexic/bulimic etc. I wonder whether there might be any ill effects if those with extreme eating disorders tried the hypnosis as a means to help them restrict their diet even further!

Dottiespots Fri 01-Feb-13 19:29:20

BBB.....interesting. The Mail only puts bits of things on its web page and doesnt go into much detail does it.
Chin.....I think that ICMYT is fine for breastfeeding and pregnancy etc cause its not saying anything new really. Its just showing you how to eat like "normal" slim people do whereby you eat when your hungry,stop when your full and eat whatever it is you feel like at that time. Its not easy to reprogram your mind after so many years of dieting and it takes alot of conscious thinking whilst chewing and eating but you do get there. Many people who have disordered eating find letting themselves go enough to eat what they want is the hard part as the feelings of guilt then overeating kick in.
Erebus...I understand the appeal of the 5.2 and the alternate day diet but to me thats what it is.....a diet which then causes my mind to start losing the plot . Somedays I still feel like starting a "Diet" cause it is the magicial cure for weight loss (like hell it is) and I then have to give myself a good talking to to stop the thought in its tracks. Cause of course any diet I start will fail cause thats what they all do at some point...they fail. If they worked we would go on one diet in our lifetime and never need to go on one again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now