Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

Squeakygate Tue 12-Feb-13 13:36:20

can anyone offer me a bit of advice? Ive put my name for for a 5k run in 8 weeks (well just less than) Is it possible? I used to run before children and as I trained with friends it was easier - this time its just me, so no peer support.

binger Tue 12-Feb-13 13:51:42

I'd love to join please. I was on wk2 day 1 but have twisted my ankle so nearly 2 weeks with only walking. I ran a 10k 3 years ago and honestly don't know how I managed it. Determination will get me there. Hopefully Thurs/frid will be run day.

frenchfancy Tue 12-Feb-13 18:07:29

squeaky I'm sure it is possible especially if you used to run. Maybe start from the beginning, but only do 2 sessions of wks 1-3 so you can get up to week 4/5 quicker.

I've not been out for days, when I've got time it is pouring with rain and when it is fine I have no time. I'm going to try and get out tomorrow before work, but I'm not a morning person so I don't know how effective my good intentions will be.

Chopstheduck Tue 12-Feb-13 19:15:36

Squeaky, it's def doable. I had never run before, started at week 1, by week 3 I was adding extra bits on, and by week 5 I ran 5k. I found the podcasts really brilliant though for getting me up to it.

Good luck binger, he your ankle is better for you to start it.

5madthings Tue 12-Feb-13 19:27:21

squeaky def possible I am only on wk two of a ten k training program and at the weekend did ASN extra run and did 5k in 37mins. OK I walked some of it but for a non runner it was surprisingly OK, I jog rather than Run run iykwim Andi do a lot of walking anyway but I was very surprised how OK it was so with 8wks I think you will be ok smile

BsshBossh Tue 12-Feb-13 20:29:06

Due to do W1R2 tomorrow but my legs and stomach are really aching from Monday's run. Should I just go for it anyway or wait another day? I exercise 4-5 days a week - speed walking and stepper machine 45 mins at approx 80% of my max heart rate (so quite intensely) but I've never ached like this before. It makes me think that running is the superior exercise grin

pennygallops Tue 12-Feb-13 20:35:20

squeaky is do able, especially if you are already reasonable fit. I think I was up to about 5K by week 8 of C25K.

Congrats chopstheduck any BP is good, it shows you are making progress.

I normally run on a Tuesday night, but we have been to DD's school production. I will go tomorrow and burn off all the stress from parents' evening.

Ezzza Wed 13-Feb-13 05:41:27

That's W2R3 done! grin I was surprised how I've noticed an improvement in my fitness levels, not just every week, but every run too. I got 200 metres further by the end of the last run today than I did on Monday! So start week 3 on Friday: 3 minute runs confused.

Chopstheduck I was surprised at how difficult it is to get a hold of stuff here too. Part of the trouble is that foreign brand goods (even some which are actually made in China) are actually more expensive here than in the UK. There's also a lot of knock offs so you can never quite be sure what you're getting, and the quality of affordable goods is so poor. If I got a pair of trainers in the UK that started coming apart after 2 months I'd take them back for a refund. If I got a pair of trainers in China that started to come apart after 2 months taking them back would be utterly pointless because that seems to be a pretty good length of service for the stuff I've bought here sad. I expect I could get more things if I were able to buy online, but the postal service is truly dreadful, and the bank wouldn't let me have the special card you need to be able to pay for stuff online because the guy in there didn't like the way my name had been written on my visa (Chinese issued visas put the surname first and given names last, but my visa was issued in the UK so my given names were first and my surname was last). Like you said, not long now. Just two weeks to go, that's 6 more runs, and I'll be back in Britain and can get myself a decent pair of runners. smile

Hi BsshBossh! <waves> Good to see you on here too! I'd say go for the run tomorrow, but take it easy. Using your muscles again might help with making the pain go away (which I remember from doing a week's intensive sailing course. I could barely move by day 3 and didn't know how I'd make it through the week, but by day 5 all the pain had gone). After my W1R1 my inner thighs were absolutely killing me, but I carried on with my W1R2 as planned but just took the running bits really slowly. Some have said adding an extra long cold down walk helps, which I'd agree with. I didn't do that myself, but after my W1R2 I was feeling particularly energised so I went for a wander around town, which given the enormous scale of the city involved a lot of walking. My legs felt better the next day. W1R1 is the only one I've done so far after which my muscles ached. I haven't had any achy muscles after any subsequent runs (though admittedly I'm only about a week ahead of you so maybe some of the longer runs will do me in! grin)

BsshBossh Wed 13-Feb-13 08:28:50

Thanks Ezzza <waving back>. Well TOM started today which goes some way to explain the extra aches and pains. I'm not going to do C25K today but I will do my normal speed walking/stepper routine instead so I can justify my high (moderate exercise) TDEE (I want to keep eating today!).

frenchfancy Wed 13-Feb-13 12:48:25

Just done WK5 R1. I kept going at the end for an extra 5 mins as I had gone too far from home, so that meant doing a 10 minute non stop on top of the 2 5minute sessions. I can't believe I did it.

I've checked out the route I did and it is 4km! OK so that includes the walking, but still 4km!

Mentally preparing myself for WK5 R3 - 20 mins non stop - gulp.

Yes I think it is Squeakygate, I did the NHS podcast and by week 8 you are running for 28 mins. I wasn't covering 5k in that time, although I can now, but I think once you get to that level of fitness and mental knowledge that you can run getting to 30+ minutes is totally doable.

Welcome binger!

Did you get out for the morning run frenchfancy or was it a bit later? Well done on the extra 5 mins grin. 4Km is fab!

I was going to say go and do it BsshBossh but just read your next post. Often going out again, gets everything moving and blood flowing so helps ease those aches and pains.

Well done Ezzza!

Hoping to get out tonight with a friend but it will be an 8pm or later run so hoping to keep the motiviation considering how cold it is and that I've got to do 4 school runs today, all walking sad

BsshBossh Wed 13-Feb-13 15:58:16

Well I did good grin - I completed W1R2 inspite of my TOM and it was absolutely fine. All the aches and pains disappeared during the warm up walk. Hurrah!

frenchfancy Wed 13-Feb-13 16:00:43

No I couldn't face the morning run. It is dark here until after 8am and I really wanted my breakfast this morning. I went during my lunch hour (and thoroughly enjoyed my lunch afterwards smile )

You are brave going out in the dark and cold, but I'm sure you can do it - just remember how good you will feel afterwards.

BsshBossh Wed 13-Feb-13 16:38:02

frenchfancy good luck with the W5R2 run and well done on the 4k!

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Wed 13-Feb-13 18:59:41

I seem to have pulled a muscle or something sad It's tender and painful at the top of my thigh, just under the side of my bum (IYSWIM) - anyone else experienced this? I don't know that it was necessarily running that caused it, but I'm not sure what else I've been doing that might have done it. Have postponed tonight's run in the hope it might get better... any advice anyone?

pennygallops Wed 13-Feb-13 21:16:56

That was a cold and windy run tonight, complete with a little hail. But, I felt better for it!
Sarah i'd rest your thigh for a day or two.

Sorry to hear you're in pain SarahWithAFringeOnTop! I haven't had pain there but I do get pain in my knee quite often, I find its actually on rest days and that running actually helps. I'd be tempted to go out and take it slow and see how it goes.

Went out with a friend last night, it was snowing here and windy but not settling. We did 5 miles and had a good old chinwag too!

Chopstheduck Thu 14-Feb-13 09:06:19

I hurt my knee early days, it's still a bit dodgy. It kept swelling up just below the knee, hot, tender to the touch. Cinnamon suggested running carefully and it really did help, it loosens the stiffness, and it has gotten a lot better. I'd go for a slow run and see how it goes, if it doesn't ease off, then jsut walk it for now.

Chopstheduck Thu 14-Feb-13 09:07:38

I'm off again in a minute. Did 3k yesterday, but need to earn some calories for Valentine's dinner, so off to do another run soon as my breakfast has settled! grin

Ezzza Fri 15-Feb-13 05:31:28

Well done BsshBossh!

I did W3R1 this morning. I found running for 3 minutes quite a step up. I was ok running the 90 second runs at normal (for me) speed, but had to slow right down to a shuffle-jog to last through the 3 minute runs. Hopefully I'll be up to normal speed for the 3 minute runs either Monday or Wednesday. If not, I think I'll just keep going with week 3 until I can run all the running bits at normal speed. The 20 minute run in week 5 is seeming like a bit of a pipe dream at the moment! confused

BsshBossh Fri 15-Feb-13 11:20:44

Thanks Ezzza. W1R3 completed.

frenchfancy Fri 15-Feb-13 16:55:15

WK5 run2 completed. I added an extra 4 mins as I wasn't spent. It did mean I didn't do the 5 min cool down though, but I did do some stretches.

It is the big one on Sunday. TBH that is why I have been adding on the extra minutes, so the Wk5 r3 doesn't seem so scary.

To all those on Wks1 and 2 I promise it does get easier. My breathing and heart rate weren't as bad today as they were on wk1 even though I did 20 minutes.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Fri 15-Feb-13 19:21:13

That's what I thought Ezzza, but it really will happen, honest!

I took pennygallops' advice and rested this week but have been out tonight - my leg feels OK but I obviously wasn't as fast as I would have liked as Runkeeper told me I hadn't gone as far as last week! have to say, it's a bit disconcerting when you finish your 5 minute cool down and as you're still a couple of minutes from home, think "I'll just check my email" (OK, I know, I'm a bit weird) and there's a message from Runkeeper telling you how you've done, before you've even got home!

Anyway, off now for supper and wine - and DD has been baking as well grin

jchocchip Sat 16-Feb-13 07:01:42

Morning all!
Well done french I can still remember how emo I felt finishing week 5!
Due to new job and the snow I missed doing any mid week runs this week sad Did fit in a good swim but that was it. parkrun at 9 and I've woken up with an achy hip. Have got new battery in hrm/ stopwatch so I may push it today...

jchocchip Sat 16-Feb-13 11:51:02

Didn't make a pb but enjoyable run today.

This thread is not accepting new messages.