ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Bootcamp Week 10 - Pretty Perfect!

(461 Posts)
BIWItheBold Mon 18-Jun-12 08:36:34

Morning campers!

Today's sermon is about cheating. There's been plenty of it along the way and there will be plenty more of it in the future.

It is important to accept that this is and is going to be a fact, as (hopefully) this is about a way of eating, rather than a diet. That means that sometimes there will be occasions and circumstances where it's impossible to keep the carbs down. The classic is when you're invited to dinner and your hosts serve you something 'forbidden', like pasta or rice.

Every now and then you will find that you also have a 'fuck it' moment. Where, for whatever reason, you eat something you shouldn't. It happens.

So.

If you're going to do it, do it right!

If circumstances are beyond your control - e.g. the dinner party - don't stress about it. If you've deliberately gone off piste, don't feel guilty about it. Enjoy the moment while you're in it.

What is absolutely critical is what you do next.

Beware that you will crave carbs and don't let yourself spiral out of control into a mammoth carb fest! Make sure that the 2-3 days immediately afterwards are strictly low carb, and drink plenty of water. And avoid the scales for the next few days!

Here endeth the lesson.

sybilfaulty Sun 24-Jun-12 10:23:18

i have just made Nigella's old fashioned choc cake for a friend, without licking the spoon or eating a smartie! Am so virtuous.

Am trying to have a good day. We are off to P Exp for lunch so large salad beckons. Haven't even felt tempted to cheat today.

Have a great day everyone.

teaandthorazine Sun 24-Jun-12 10:42:55

Morning all! That WW article is really interesting, BIWI. Must admit I thought last night that the one thing I do really miss is not cake or bread or pasta but....apples! The crunch of a lovely cold Braeburn, mmm. One of my fave puddings used to be apple and sharp cheddar, now I just have the cheese I guess...

Btw, that Mercola site has a great interview with the gorgeous Gary Taubes - it's long but worth it.

Am off to ds's Summer (ha!) Fair today - he's playing the djembe drums at 1pm in the middle of the school field grin. Am going to have a big brunch of eggs and bacon so I don't get tempted by the hot dogs, cake stall and ice-cream van!

Have just noticed on another thread a MNer saying she has to graze through the day otherwise she gets shaky and irritable. I want to tell her that that means her blood glucose is all over the place and if she ate like us she wouldn't feel that way... but I'm worried I'm starting to sound like a crazy evangelist grin

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 12:02:53

Me too, tea! In fact I had to stop myself yesterday, as I was posting all over the board and, no doubt, irritating the hell out of everybody some posters grin

I have also resisted posting on that thread!

catinboots Sun 24-Jun-12 12:34:51

Are stock cubes/oxo cubes allowed?

I want to make some savoury mince. Does anyone have a recipe??

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 12:41:22

Yes they are. An Oxo cube is about 1.2 g of carbs, from memory.

For a recipe, look at this thread for my low carb shepherd's pie

Make that, minus the celeriac mash for the topping - it's really low carb.

catinboots Sun 24-Jun-12 12:44:20

Ta BIWI x

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 12:46:21

blush
I couldn't resist posting on that thread after all ...

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 12:46:54

Oh, and here is another really interesting article about calories

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 24-Jun-12 13:31:23

Just making lamb shanks in my slow cooker for later, will be luffly

jan2011 Sun 24-Jun-12 13:37:39

interesting how that article said not to use olive oil for cooking but for salads, use coconut oil instead.

just had scrambled egg for lunch

Jins Sun 24-Jun-12 14:09:22

This is where I deviate a bit blush

I think that there's no one size fits all diet. I think that the vast majority of us and certainly the ones that struggle to lose weight, descend from the hunter gatherers and we do better on protein rich diets. We'd have killed something, eaten until we were full, slept it off and then gone to kill something else.

At some point it's clear that farmers evolved. These people developed the cultivation and processing of grains etc. People descended from them will be better evolved to eat carbs and will probably do better with grazing

No theory behind it and not a chance of a link. It's just my pondering

LackaDAISYcal Sun 24-Jun-12 14:39:50

If it's the thread that I think, I posted about carbs amking me fat and there were several posts that followed about carbs being essential and not eating them madness of the highest order. I responded about low carb vs no carb, but it fell on deaf ears I suspect.

jins is right, there is no one solution that fits all. We all do what works for us in the end.

boeuf bourgignon for me for later....the smell is just flipping gorgeous.

not had a good few days, much puking and comfort eating going on. Maintaining though which is good!

londonone Sun 24-Jun-12 14:55:11

Family weddin last night so a bit of a challenge, 2 small glasses fizz, goats cheese salad, lamb loin with veg and mini shepherds pie( left most o the mash), sticky toffee pudding and a sausage roll and a piece of cake. Thorouly enjoyed every mouthful, no guilt and now keen to boot camp for next 4 weeks until end of term. Very nice experience as got many compliments on how well I looked!

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 16:26:37

Dr Briffa would agree with you as well, Jins See here There's a questionnaire in there to determine if you're a Hunter, a Gatherer or a Hunter-Gatherer, and he gives specific recommendations for the things you should eat/avoid, depending on what you turn out to be.

Jins Sun 24-Jun-12 16:45:49

Hey!! Maybe I don't talk shit then grin

I've not read any Briffa. I'm going to have to aren't I?

TooImmatureTurtleDoves Sun 24-Jun-12 16:50:24

Any ideas for low-carb drinks, o gurus? DH used to be a big Coke drinker and says water is boring. I suggested strawberry smoothie with yoghurt and water but he wasn't having any - has made a concoction of blended strawberries, lemon juice, water and artificial sweetener. hmm What else can he drink?

puffylovett Sun 24-Jun-12 17:25:14

<slopes on to thread, admits to having beans on toast for lunch shock I did go swimming this morn, reason was cos we had Nothing In and DP cooked>

Am v interested in the Briffa theory, it sort of sits with the blood type diet ie some of us are good with meat, others are better vegetarian types.

<slopes back off with tail between legs> <ponders going the whole hog and enjoying a beer tonight with the match>

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 17:27:29

He shouldn't be drinking that, if he's low carbing, TooImmature! Strawberries and lemon juice will become very carby very quickly.

If he really can't just drink water, then he's going to have to consider artificially sweetened drinks. Personally I think they should be avoided, as with anything artificial - and they do impede weight loss for some people. But he could see for himself if they stop him losing weight. Sainsbury's diet drinks are made with Sucralose which, I believe (but I don't know that much about it) is a 'better' artificial sweetener. Certainly he should avoid aspartame and saccharine.

What about fruit/herbal teas? I don't drink any of these myself, but could they be served as an iced drink? (I'm guessing he's struggling with cold drinks as opposed to tea and coffee)

puffylovett Sun 24-Jun-12 17:27:50

Turtle a slice of lemon or even cucumber is really refreshing in water.. Also if he absolutely HAS to sweeten his drink, then real unrefined maple syrup or honey would probably be a much better source than sweeteners which will not give his brain a glucose hit and cause him to want more sugar.....

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 17:27:57

Jins grin you should read some Briffa. Well-written and very easy to read.

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 17:30:46

TooImmature What about this? It's really nice - there's one with raspberry as well - and it can be made even lower in carbs if you dilute it half and half with sparkling water

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 17:31:01

And it's very nice in vodka

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 17:31:33

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! No honey or maple syrup!

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 17:32:55

Honey - 76.4g carbs per 100g
Syrup, Maple Flavour - 76.5g carbs per 100g

Definitely out of the question!!!

BIWItheBold Sun 24-Jun-12 17:33:36

... and as for thinking about beer ...

<faints>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now