First time in Amsterdam

(4 Posts)
KilgraveMadeMeDoIt Sat 03-Sep-16 19:51:07

My husband and I are going to Amsterdam for the weekend soon and we've never been before. It's our first ever child free weekend (DS will be 5yo so it's been a long time!!)

How much money do you recommend we take for the weekend (2 nights) and any recommendations for food places, or things to do while we are there?

whostolethesocks Mon 05-Sep-16 20:56:27

Amsterdam is brilliant and not too expensive. There are lots of lovely Indonesian restaurants. I went to Kantjil & De Tijger. I also went to a Dutch restaurant: Haesje Claes Restaurant. Booking advised. It's lovely just walking around, Anne Frank's house, Van Gogh museum, Heinekin Experience are good places to go.

imnottoofussed Mon 05-Sep-16 21:08:36

Watching with interest as I'm going for 3 nights in November grin

Viviene Tue 06-Sep-16 18:20:37

If you haven't been before you should do a canal boat trip - any will do and there are plenty close to the central station. You will see most of the city and the stories are well worth it.
Food wise you can go as cheep or as expensive as you want to. Foodhallen Amsterdam is one of my favs - it's an open market type thing but inside. I would skip the museums unless you are into art - queues are long and prices expensive. I would go to the houseboat museum (you can see how a living boat is organized) and sex museum for fun. For cheap lunch look for bagels&beans chain, they have good quality food at non-touristy prices. Avoid Starbucks - it's a rip off in the NL. A-fusion restaurant is very good for Eastern type food. Vapiano is another chain that is decent and will not break bank. Can you give us more indication of what you're into food - wise and I'll check if I can come up with anything? Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now