Need help with London Underground ticket options

(15 Posts)
namechangeforanonymity Fri 12-Aug-16 09:22:56

Have been designated to sort this on behalf of a group Including kids spending this weekend in London. I should add that its many many years since I last visited London.

Ideally we want the freedom to use the underground at any time on both days and we'll be based near Kings Cross but know we want to do the London Eye and the Science museum but haven't finalised any other plans yet.

What's the best option re underground tickets and can I buy/print over the internet today ?

Any help appreciated.

PenelopePitstops Fri 12-Aug-16 09:25:07

Give each person a contact less card, job done.

Mirandawest Fri 12-Aug-16 09:26:12

How old are the children?

sparechange Fri 12-Aug-16 09:26:48

Kids travel for free
Adults can use a contactless debit or credit card. Or an oyster if you haven't got contactless
You won't get any discount for buying in advance or over the Internet

GobblersKnob Fri 12-Aug-16 09:27:20

Children (are they under 16?) are free on the underground, the easiest thing for you is to just use your debit card (presuming you have one) like an Oyster card, so you just press it on a touch pad on every journey, if you don't leave zone 1 it is something in the region of £7 for the day, a bit more if you use more zone. It just gets billed to your account. You need to alert an attendant or use the disabled entrance/exit to make sure all the kids can get through. Good luck smile

namechangeforanonymity Fri 12-Aug-16 09:30:38

Children are all under 16

AveEldon Fri 12-Aug-16 09:30:56

Kids under 11 are free on the tube
Over 11 have to pay
tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/travelling-with-children#on-this-page-2

Spottyladybird Fri 12-Aug-16 09:30:56

How many of you is there?
More than 10 you can get s group pass but that would mean staying together.
How old are the children?

More about fares etc explained here:
tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fare

You won't be able to buy online for this weekend but you can buy travel cards for the day at the station.

If you'd had a bit more time you could have ordered visitor Oyster cards, you can also pay contact less if you have that option on cards.

More info on Oyster cards, it might be worth picking them up at the station if you plan return visits:
tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/where-to-top-up-and-buy-tickets#on-this-page-5

namechangeforanonymity Fri 12-Aug-16 09:32:20

I don't have a contactless card for my bank account.

namechangeforanonymity Fri 12-Aug-16 09:34:09

There's 12 in total, 3 single parents with 3 kids each. One child is over 11

PenelopePitstops Fri 12-Aug-16 09:34:29

Apple pay?

Or buy an oystercard at the first station

namechangeforanonymity Fri 12-Aug-16 09:42:31

I have another account which might be contactless as it has a symbol next to the chip - might test that out today and use it that bank account this weekend

GobblersKnob Fri 12-Aug-16 09:48:39

Ooops I thought it was under 16! (I don't live in London, just visit a fair bit) well ds has had a few free journeys then....lucky he is small, will get him a ticket next time grin

sparechange Fri 12-Aug-16 09:50:53

You only need 3 cards or oyster cards then. For the kids, head to the wide barrier and wait for a member of staff to open the gates for you.

You can buy an oyster card and charge it up in most newsagents (they'll have an Oyster logo outside). There is a £5 deposit for the card, which you can get refunded if you don't want to keep the card. Or keep it until your next visit...

MrsDeVere Fri 12-Aug-16 10:04:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now