Lisbon or Porto

(9 Posts)
RadioSplash Tue 21-Apr-15 19:39:45

Which would you choose for a 3 day break in October?

And has anyone got any hotel recommendations please?

Thanks!

Brookside6 Wed 22-Apr-15 12:41:35

Porto is a lovely town to meander and explore. There is so much to see with the old buildings on the steep hillside and the quayside, guided tours around the port producers, and it is somewhere to just relax. We took the tram to the coast (Foz) as well just to see the Atlantic! It's some years since our visit but we stayed in the Infanta Sagres - definitely faded glories, but quite an experience.

CMOTDibbler Wed 22-Apr-15 12:52:59

Porto. Its beautiful. I once had a very lovely lunch at the Taylors cellars looking out over the gorge smile

Costacoffeeplease Wed 22-Apr-15 13:14:09

Either!! Lisbon is more touristy so has more tourist type activities (aquarium, museums, art galleries, history) Porto has the wine and port houses - both have quaint architecture, great restaurants - it depends what you're looking for?

Misssss Tue 02-Jun-15 22:22:11

Porto without a doubt. Both are good but Porto is amazing. I could live there!

spababe Mon 12-Oct-15 17:56:54

Lisbon and take the train to Estoril for a day out/change of scenery

TPel Mon 12-Oct-15 18:37:01

I'm going to Lisbon on Wednesday for the first time, for 3 nights.

I'm really looking forward to it.

AlexPKeaton Fri 08-Jan-16 21:33:19

Another vote for Porto. It's much more of a "cute" place to walk around, go to outdoor cafes, etc. The advantage to Lisbon is that you can also go to Sintra, which is worth at least a full day if not more. If you're not planning to do Sintra I would definitely go to Porto.

AlexPKeaton Fri 08-Jan-16 21:34:23

Oh, and we stayed at the Aleppo Palace in Lisbon, which was wonderful. I can't recommend the place we stayed in Porto.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now