Hotels in Dublin

(39 Posts)
calpopscalum Sun 24-Sep-06 13:18:34

Mum is taking dad away to Dublin for a weekend and wants me to book her a good hotel - city centre and min of 3 star. Anyone help? ta

Slainte Mon 25-Feb-13 11:59:11

grin

Oops. I didn't spot the date blush

Slainte Mon 25-Feb-13 08:35:49

Alana and Whatcha did you realise that this thread is 7 years old? grin

The Metro hotel is very close to the airport but if you're thinking of staying close to the airport I'd recommend The Crowne Plaza in Northwood : www.cpireland.crowneplaza.com/

If you're looking for somewhere central you have to think of the city centre split by the river Liffey - so south side central or north side central.

South side central would be the likes of the Morrison, The Westbury, The Shelbourne, The St Stephens Green Hotel etc.
North side central would be the likes of The Gresham, The Gibson Hotel (behind the O2 or Point Depot as it used to be), The Royal Dublin etc.

Hope that helps.

alanaerin Wed 20-Feb-13 08:11:52

I stayed at Metro hotel located near Dublin airport. It is good hotel with luxurious facilities. You can check it here: www.metrohoteldublinairport.com/

chipmonkey Wed 27-Sep-06 00:09:43

The Whore in The Sewer is not gone altogether. It's been moved to the same street as David Norris apparently.

vontrapp Tue 26-Sep-06 23:50:24

this one's very nice

BudaBabe Tue 26-Sep-06 23:38:15

Off to bed now - night!

BudaBabe Tue 26-Sep-06 23:37:50

LOL

It's bloody ridiculous looking!

SherlockLGJ Tue 26-Sep-06 23:36:43

Well the whoor cost nowt Smurfit paid for it, better employed giving his money to the hospice in Harolds X or similar.

And as for the spire.................a dick on a stick I have heard it called.

BudaBabe Tue 26-Sep-06 23:34:32

Wonder how much that cost??

And don't get me started on teh Spire!

SherlockLGJ Tue 26-Sep-06 23:31:43

They got rid of it, as it was just becoming a dumping ground for litter etc.,

BudaBabe Tue 26-Sep-06 23:29:24

Out of date as usual me!

SherlockLGJ Tue 26-Sep-06 23:26:19

Buda

They got rid of the whoor in the sewer, thanks be to Jaysus.

BudaBabe Tue 26-Sep-06 23:23:08

And when you find the Spire you can see if you can spot:

The tart with the cart (Molly Malone)
The prat with the hat (James Joyce)
The floozie in the jacuzzi or the whore (pronounced whoo-er) in the sewer (Anne Livia/Teh Liffey)
and
The hags with the bags (two ladies sitting on a bench with the shopping near the Half-Penny Bridge).

Enjoy!

Mhamai Tue 26-Sep-06 21:45:17

It's called The Spire Bubble or as us Dubs fondly call it "The pole in the hole" or "The stilletto in the ghetto"
ps
I stayed in the Merrion once Sherlock! Ah Bliss!

bubblerock Sun 24-Sep-06 19:31:19

I hope they have a lovely time. We went for my 30th birthday (my Mum & Dad bought it as a treat for us) and we didn't realise until we got to the airport that it was Ireland v Scotland Rugby - Dublin was pretty busy but the Hotel was like a haven from the hustle and bustle! At the end of the street was a huge silver pole art piece (not sure what it was) but it ensured we never got lost. lol

calpopscalum Sun 24-Sep-06 15:59:25

bubblerock - that looks fab!! Will probabaly be booking it for them!!

bubblerock Sun 24-Sep-06 15:48:19

We stayed at The Ripley Court Hotel in March. It was lovely, good price, quiet clean rooms and a fantastic location. No spa, pool or anything like that though.

SherlockLGJ Sun 24-Sep-06 15:30:38

Marriotts have bought it, hope you have a good memory.

I bet there will be no Horseshoe Bar by the time they are finished with it.

BudaBabe Sun 24-Sep-06 15:30:13

I worked in Shelbourne for two years as Sales & Marketing Secretary. Loved it. I too hope thwy don't destroy it but they prob will.

Blandmum Sun 24-Sep-06 15:29:41

That looks perfect sherlock

Carmenere Sun 24-Sep-06 15:29:07

Oh Gawd, I hope they don't mess it up! I loved it the way it was.

SherlockLGJ Sun 24-Sep-06 15:26:43

The Shelbourne is closed you NaNa

BudaBabe Sun 24-Sep-06 15:25:58

Shelbourne is closed Carmenere. Under renovation since last year.

No recommendations here I'm afraid as I have lived away for so long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now