Luxury weekend next September for important b'day inspiration/ideas

(31 Posts)
thekingfisher Mon 28-Jul-14 15:11:59

Its DH's 50th next year and I am trying to think about a break away.
Budget is unlimited but not stupid and we will prob only have a maximum of 3 nights and most probably 2 nights away.
Consequently can't be so far afield (i.e. new york) that we spend all the time travelling.

We have done Paris on the Eurostar before so thats probably out - I also don;t want to do anywhere to obvious … DH's a real foodie so an excellent restaurant (michelin starred) or fab hotel in vicinity with great restaurant is really important….

Has anyone any ideas …

Happy to stay in the UK but not sure where to go - we have done Gidleigh Park for my 40th….

thekingfisher Mon 28-Jul-14 18:29:20

bump?

janesaysl Mon 28-Jul-14 18:32:27

Turnberry in Scotland is stunning, breathtaking scenery.
Ok there's a golf course but you could ignore that and use the spa wink it's being 'trumped' this year so I'm sure it will be even better soon.

JassyRadlett Mon 28-Jul-14 18:57:34

Copenhagen? Amazing restaurants.

rootypig Mon 28-Jul-14 19:05:46

Barcelona? everyone raves....

rootypig Mon 28-Jul-14 19:06:57

If staying in the UK, we loved the Watergate Bay hotel - heavenly.

www.watergatebay.co.uk/

psychicpaper Mon 28-Jul-14 19:08:35

my first thought was Copenhagen too

Isnt Renee Redzepis restaurant there?

thekingfisher Mon 28-Jul-14 21:36:07

Ooh Copenhagen is an interesting one.... Will have a butchers.

We have done Barcelona a year or so ago and have also done Cornwall but not watergate bay so also worth a look- thanks for ideas .

Like the idea of Scotland but not a golf hotel or spa particularly ...

Heels99 Mon 28-Jul-14 22:41:36

Agree Copenhagen has fantastic restaurants. Watergate bay hotel is not Michelin starred or foodie destination, was there yesterday. Is a nice beach hotel.

thekingfisher Tue 29-Jul-14 19:48:56

Started to look at Copenhagen and some amazing places but vvv expensive… potentially looking now at a food and wine tasting tour weekend thing in frnace…. any experience?

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 29-Jul-14 20:16:18

Why not book a food course at river cottage? I would love to do that and it would be very memorable.
Fat Duck.. Heston's taster menu?

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 29-Jul-14 20:20:34
thekingfisher Wed 30-Jul-14 22:26:46

Nice ideas will research further thanks

rootypig Wed 30-Jul-14 22:56:20

you could try to get a reservation at the Fat Duck
www.thefatduck.co.uk/Reservations/

Heels99 Wed 30-Jul-14 23:13:37

We did a weekend where we did fat duck one evening and hestons pub the next and it was memorable

Chiana Mon 11-Aug-14 05:34:34

Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons is amazing and has two Michelin stars. You pay through the nose, mind you.

VegasIsBest Mon 11-Aug-14 05:46:13

Chewton glen hotel looks amazing. I've been for the day to the spa and that was wonderful.

bangersmashandbeans Mon 11-Aug-14 05:48:02

Have a look at Burgh Island (Devon) for something a bit different

ComingtoKent Mon 11-Aug-14 18:16:04

I've been to Chewton Glen for my birthday and it was marvellous. Michelin star restaurant and superb service. You can walk to the beach and it's right next to the New Forest.

Earlier this year we stayed at the Summer Isles Hotel in Western Scotland, which was lovely. I believe they're refurbishing over this winter so it should be even nicer by next September. Spectacular views and walks.

I would also recommend Casa da Calcada in Amarante, Portugal. About 30 miles from Porto which is worth visiting. Amarante is quite a sleepy town, but has a few restaurants. The hotel is excellent with a Michelin star restaurant and brilliant value for money.

You can tell I really like hotels, can't you?!

notnowImreading Mon 11-Aug-14 18:23:25

Ooh, I'd agree with Burgh Island. Love to go there. My standard recommendation for short breaks is Marrakech, which is glorious in September. There are lots of lovely riads and hotels, although I usually stay at the budget end. The great thing about it as a destination is that there is no time difference so you get the full benefit of the time you spend there and it's only a 3 hour flight. La Mamounia is the most famous hotel with spa and is crazy opulent, although I think there are nicer places.

thekingfisher Mon 11-Aug-14 18:46:04

Thanks all for commenting - thought it had died a death!

Will look at Burgh island - looks interesting
We've done chew ton glen before - it is lovely

Manoir too very nice but super £££££££££££
I thibnk we want to stay in the UK as theres too much that can go tits up with a 2 night stay away with a flight

bekind Tue 12-Aug-14 22:38:17

What about Edinburgh? Various great restaurants there and a fine city to explore.

Chiana Tue 12-Aug-14 22:46:46

I'm pretty sure Chewton Glen lost their Michelin star.

Chiana Wed 13-Aug-14 13:18:07

What about Lucknam Park near Bath? Michelin star, great hotel , great location, great spa?

Burgh Island looks fascinating. I'd never heard of it before.

Roussette Wed 13-Aug-14 14:07:36

I stayed [http://www.thebathpriory.co.uk/ here] The Bath Priory for a special birthday with DH and it was absolutely divine. As far as food and drink, well ... the taster menu with accompanying wines was to die for. Seriously fabulous and the service was second to none.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now