Budapest - what to with 11 year old?

(7 Posts)
GingerPCatt Mon 04-Mar-13 08:48:42

Oh sorry. We haven't been for ages and it was pre DS so I didn't pay attention to kids. There is a big park and fun fair there which could be interesting.

MechanicalTheatre Sat 02-Mar-13 11:27:32

I don't know, you'd have to check, but I can't imagine they are and I don't remember ever seeing any. They're meant to be relaxing places and children aren't always conducive to that!

LyonsDemesne Sat 02-Mar-13 11:22:41

Thanks for the updates. So kids are not allowed in any of the spa's?

MechanicalTheatre Sat 02-Mar-13 11:10:30

Ginger, I don't think children are allowed in the spa.

The statue park is in Budapest, well, just outside.

GingerPCatt Sat 02-Mar-13 07:03:01

I can't remember the name of it, but the big spa. It had loads of different pools and swimming options. Plus I think there is a fun fair in the same park. There is also the statue park with the big communist status, I think there is (I may be getting it confused with Prague) a very interesting communism museum, but its very moving. May be too much for your dc.

MechanicalTheatre Sat 02-Mar-13 06:33:51

Take the underground, line 1. Oldy worldy trains!

Margaret Island is nice to go to, it has a small zoo and you can rent bikes.

There are lots of nice little non-touristy cafes, I loved Bambi Presszo and Cafe Gerbeaud (latter is v posh!) The Castro Bisztro does nice Hungarian food, but probably sit outside as it's v smoky.

Try some langos, it is basically fried dough, very unhealthy but lovely.

And go up the hill! You have to!

LyonsDemesne Fri 01-Mar-13 19:52:49

We are off to Budapest in May for a long weekend. Never been before. What are the must do's?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now