(9 Posts)
zumo Sun 10-Feb-13 20:52:14

You can take a local bus from behind the station to Marken
http://www.holland.com/uk/tourism/article/marken.htm
Then get the ferry to Vollendam
http://www.vvv-volendam.nl/nl/welcome/
You can get the local bus either back to Amsterdam or go to Edam
http://www.edam.com/
We went to one of the many festivals they have it was excellant.
Places to Eat
Teddys Corner is near the redlight district serves good basic food and beer.
This is a good quality Dutch Resturant
http://www.haesjeclaes.nl/
You really need to book if you want to go
I hope you enjoy it
Oh I have heard Delft is a fantastic city but havet been

Branleuse Sun 27-Jan-13 10:32:04

ahhh, the dam. Thank god they didnt go through with the anti coffee shop laws

Its such a beautiful place, and really the coffeeshop element is actually really understated and inconspicuous, but was a lovely touch to be able to stop off and have a smoke here and there

BiddyPop Thu 10-Jan-13 12:45:51

Thanks, we actually went on 2nd Jan. It was MOBBED!!

We went to the Anne Frank House - knowing in advance about pre-booking would have saved time alright. The queue never died back from at least an hour long anytime we passed it (and we went pretty early in the morning). It was well worth it though - very very deep and sobering (I had read the book before as a teenager, DH hadn't).

We saw the Van Gogh exhibition in the city centre (not out to the VG museum) which was really interesting.

We took a canal boat tour at dusk (5ish) so enough light for photos for 1st half, and then enjoyed the dark and seeing the city by night from the canal. That was good timing.

When we rented bikes, we went out from the city centre to the parks and more residential parts of the city - which was really interesting, especially the differences between the 2 areas. (We stayed right in the heart of the city).

We also did a lot of walking both day and night.

Public transport looked great (trams etc) but we didn't need it.

We only had brownies in the Anne Frank House, so regular ones. But the "non-regular" type were obviously freely available in parts.

We were exhausted by the end of it, as we kinda went back to pre-child days of city breaks (see everything possible in 3 days and rest up in the following week) without remembering the lack of rest possible. And the cabin pressures were messed up on the descent coming home (not just me and DH, loads of people had problems) and a Christmas cold didn't help that (I never have ear problems but I had tears rolling down my cheeks with it).

Otherwise, it was well worth going to!! grin

As for weather, very like here, grey and dull mostly, and 1 day there was a cold wind, but temps very close to here too (7-10ish) - but we had thermals in case. Some interesting shops too (not all UK high street stores - check out "The 9 Streets" for interesting boutiques etc).

gallicgirl Sun 06-Jan-13 17:19:36

The Hermitage museum, canal trip, zoo, Waterlooplatz and just have a lovely wander around. Wrap up warm as it can be chilly at this time of year.

noisytoys Sun 06-Jan-13 17:01:48

Me and DH went to Amsterdam last year we smoked weed all day and wandered around red light district going to bars all night on a rare child free weekend. It was great smile

ChrimboFascist Sun 06-Jan-13 16:57:28

Can one still partake of the wares in a brown café?

malteserzz Sun 06-Jan-13 16:51:35

Have you been already ? We're going in February so any tips welcome !

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 02-Jan-13 23:20:01

Book your entry to the Anne Frank house on line and don't have to queue.
Take the Canal Bus and travel round listening to commentary.
Van Gough museum and Diamond Museum.

BiddyPop Fri 21-Dec-12 09:21:01

DH has surprised me by actually listening to what I wanted for Christmas (a break without DD to just unwind after a long hard 18 months) and has booked 3 days in Amsterdam before we all go back to school/work.

I know about the Anne Frank musem, and Van Gogh gallery. I can almost guarantee we will be cycling at least part of the time.

But does anyone have any recommendations for things to do, places to eat, and places to just sit and unwind?

We will be staying in the city centre along a canal.

Thanks in advance for all the collective wisdom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now