3 day mini break in Barcelona, where to stay?

(9 Posts)
nappydaysagain Sat 29-Sep-12 19:57:25

I'm booking a 3 night stay in Barcelona as a surprise for my husbands 40th (end of June). Can anyone recommend where to stay? I was thinking perhaps Eixample as it's near Las Ramblas but I've never been before so would welcome advice

Lilymaid Sat 29-Sep-12 20:10:45

Las Ramblas (i.e. the avenue running from Plaça de Catalunya to the harbour) is a tacky area of Barcelona - avoid walking along it if you can! I would go for the areas east of the Ramblas - Gothic Quarter or El Born. Nothing wrong at all with Eixample which is convenient for the Casa Batillo, Sagrada Familia and all the upmarket shopping areas.

loopsngeorge Sat 29-Sep-12 21:35:09

Ooh, I am just planning a similar thing except we're going end of October! I have been trawling old posts and Hotel 1898 has been recommended a few times although it's pretty pricey - it's on the Ramblas. My parents stayed at the Barcelona Catedral in the Gothic Quarter and recommended it.
I have stayed at the Hotel Wilson in the Eixample and while it's lovely up there and handy for the Gaudi sights it is quite a walk to the Gothic Quarter and Port area (although you can get buses easily of course.)
Still mulling over where would be safest to stay as I keep reading about places to avoid after dark around the lower Ramblas and Gothic Quarter. I don't know how justified these warnings are?

bekind Sun 30-Sep-12 21:18:25

I have just come back from 3 day break in Barca. Stayed in the Gothic Quarter and loved it. The apartment we rented was a bit tired but the location was superb - on Calle Montcada, immediately adjacent to the Picasso Museum. The apartment owner emphasised the lack of crime with the major exception of pickpocketing. Because the area had a late night buzz it felt very safe indeed. We only went to the Ramblas one afternoon and is really is over busy, over touristy. Staying in the Gothic quarter we could walk to the beach in 10mins and the main parts of town eg cathedral in 10 mins too.. We did buy one of those two day tourist bus tickets to save the shoe leather and stress of going to other areas eg Sagrada familia, Parc Guell etc which was well worth it.
I'ld nip back tomorrow, loved it! Hope you have a great time

AgathaFusty Fri 05-Oct-12 08:26:11

We went a few weeks ago and stayed in the gothic quarter. I thought Las Ramblas was hugely disappointing, really tacky. We stayed here, and were quite happy with it for a few nights - great position, really clean, good breakfast etc. A few things about it that we weren't so keen on, but that's the case with most hotels.

If price is not too much of an issue absolutely no question at all whatsoever go for the Hotel Arts. It is possibly the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in (in Europe, at least)

I just looked at the Hotel Arts' website - it doesn't really get over quite how lovely it is - it is just all so beautifully done. And it's in a lovely place, too - down by the sea, away from the chaos and pickpockets of Las Ramblas.

We stayed in an apartment with a rooftop swimming pool. Right by the sea.

www.lugaris.com/en?langid=1

It was really nice, clean and modern with good facilities.

Geordieminx Mon 22-Oct-12 21:00:51

I have stayed at 1898, also just back from 3 nights at Barcelo Raval. The area ismt the greatest, but it's totally fine for walking about in, even at night, and there are some lovely wee bars... Local places as opposed to tourist traps.

The hotel itself was fab, the 360 degree rooftop bar and pool worth every penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now